Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for an Ellsworth Id

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  golfguru 
#1 ·
How much should I pay for one if I find it?

#2 ·
Contact Native Bikes ( Eric) tell him Frank sent you. 813-758-0631
He has a used one at the shop.(Florida)

Cost: ???

Better Suggestion:

I had an Id for 5 years, now have been on a Moment for 6 years, the Moment is a far better bike.(at least for me)

If you're interested in a Moment, my Co-Worker has his 2009 Med Moment for sale, it's like new. $2100.00 includes spare 2 ring crank set and a Bike stand.

send me a pm if interested

#6 ·
lidarman said:
How much should I pay for one if I find it?
OK, if you like unusually tall stand over and wonky front end geometry. All that frame has going for it is the ICT suspension and Ellsworth finish. Second the vote for a used Moment or even an Epiphany if you want an Ellsworth. Both are much better than an ID.

#9 ·
My ID happens to be the most fun bike of any in my stable *includes a Truth, Stumpy and moment). The bike uses 5.5 up front and 6 in the rear, weighs a hair over 26 with pedals and some room for weight loss if I wanted. front end geo is more like my truth and is fast around corners and the High BB makes it fly through technical sections (esp rocks). It does feel crazy tall on logs, and my moment descends better. My vote is still for a used ID (but you cant go wrong with the Epi or moment) Enjoy- Ells makes a great bike!

#10 ·
I have loved my ID ever since I got it. Mine is the California with the 133mm rear end and a 130mm fork giving a correspondingly lower BB (still not low for a 5 inch bikethough ) It does ride beautifully and excells ar what it excells at, technical climbs for example or fast rocky downhills.

That said I have just ordered an EPI and I don't have room in my stable for two similar travel bikes so I will be selling my ID soon. I have ordered the Epi for one reason only, versatility. I can spec it with an angle set headset and have the option of slack angles and a low low BB, I can spec a 57mm shock and have almost Moment amounts of travel (certainly the sst1 moments travel). I can build it light for an xc race build or make it more AM with bigger brakes, stronger wheels etc.

I will miss my ID a lot though, it's taken me on adventures around the globe and has never falled to give me a smile.

Blimey I feel like I am getting a divorce!!

#12 ·
lidarman said:
I guess this is evidence that Ellsworth does suck then.

If a company can't have a valuable past, then what really is it worth?

Perception?
I would not say my opinion of the ID means Ellsworth sucks. I am just saying that the Moment and Epiphany are a huge improvement over the ID. This opinion is also coming from a rider that prefers "all mountain" style bikes. No high end bikes hold their value unless the frame is less than one year old and in perfect condition. (in that case you only lose 1/3 of the value) :D

#13 ·
bubba13 said:
I would not say my opinion of the ID means Ellsworth sucks. I am just saying that the Moment and Epiphany are a huge improvement over the ID. This opinion is also coming from a rider that prefers "all mountain" style bikes. No high end bikes hold their value unless the frame is less than one year old and in perfect condition. (in that case you only lose 1/3 of the value) :D
The Id was designed before so called "All Mountain" bikes took off. So, it had XC geometry, which worked for some, but not all. I raced a couple 24's on it and it worked great for that sorta thing.

The Epi and Moment, like most other company's 5 and 6 inch travel bikes, have seen revisions over the years in all areas including geometry, hence the improvement over the Id.

Ellsworths actually hold their value better outside the US. Even better than, say, pre- Dw Turners. Not sure why, and not sure it matters either.

So shipping outside the US to Singapore or Israel has it's benefits (and risks). :)

#18 ·
Dead forum = people busy riding their Ellsworth's and less busy talking about them? My vote is yes. Love both of mine. Can't decide if I want to consolidate my desire for two more bikes into one or not. Have an evolve that I race with. Either going the Epiphany and then maybe getting a 7" bike...or getting a moment and calling it a day.

Would be really nice to have a super light 26" bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.