mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The logical behind tires sizes (on my Epi)

Hi guys,
    In a week or so I will get the Epiphany :-)
    Till now I was riding different brands, the moment were my last for a little bit (they are few sizes above my needs, apparently).
    I ride xc + single tracks and I would like to increase my confidence.
    What size of tires should you put front and rear?
    Is there a thumb rule? Disregard the brand if you can.
    I was reading many riders put the wider on the front.
    Can you give me the cases for width decisions of tires?

Thanks a bunch

Yossi

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi guys,
    In a week or so I will get the Epiphany :-)
    Till now I was riding different brands, the moment were my last for a little bit (they are few sizes above my needs, apparently).
    I ride xc + single tracks and I would like to increase my confidence.
    What size of tires should you put front and rear?
    Is there a thumb rule? Disregard the brand if you can.
    I was reading many riders put the wider on the front.
    Can you give me the cases for width decisions of tires?

Thanks a bunch

Yossi
    First off, choose a tire that suits your riding style and local conditions. Once you've done that, then you can determine which size you want by how you ride. A wider tire will give you more grip overall because it has a bigger footprint. It will also roll more slowly for the same reason and will be heavier because there is more material.

Furthermore, different brands with equal numbers will not be the same.

I don't run the big front/small rear set-up. I suppose it works, I just don't have any desire to do it...I like the extra rubber on the back for climbing traction.

I chose the tires I did based on the conditions I ride in. I have a 2.4 fr/rr. When I first moved here, I had a wide 2.2 and felt that maybe it was too heavy for climbing long fireroads, so I went to a 2.1. But that bogged down in the rock gardens and didn't flow too well. Plus, the sandstone just chewed them up incredibly fast. Then I went to a 2.5/2.4 combo and I liked the rolling of the bigger tires, but they were heavy again, so I changed out to a 2.35 and found this size to be just about perfect for my overall style. They had a good match of weight, grip and rock garden performance (dual compound works better for me than soft rubber). The 2.4s I'm on now are only slightly larger but they do roll better than brand X, while being a bit heavier (I guess I came full circle).

If I had and Epiphany, I would still run at least a 2.1 like a Nevegal since their 2.1s are pretty wide. It's likely that if I was riding it here in CO, I'd run something in a 2.35 or a 2.2 in some dual/triple compound, same size front and rear.

[SIZE="1"]ok, I'd get Nobby Nics in 2.35! [/SIZE]