Rolling

A little gathering comparison: Id and Turner

I had my Id set up with a Romic shock (8" I2I) and the shock was recalled. I received the new one right before spring fling and it now has a 7.75" I2I which dropped my BB to less that 14.5" with 2.5" tires. Right away the ride felt a little different.

So off to Spring Fling where lots of peeps seem to be riding Turner 5-spots these days. Wow that's a sweet bike.

So lucky me, I got to spin around on one a while and even luckier, PaulJ had one set up very similiar to my Id. Standing them next to each other, they looked very similiar. I couldn't distinguish head angle differences but it was clear that his bb was lower--but not by a huge amount. The wheel bases were very similiar.

Certainly the standover was better on the turner but that doesn't matter at all to me since I don't get off the seat unless I'm completely getting off my bike.

So we switched bikes and rode them around the lot and over rocks. I did notice two things. The Turner felt stiffer laterally in the rear than the Id. Not a whole lot but it was noticeable. And the travel felt more balanced front to back when I bounced vertically on the pedals. Whether this was due to my setup, I can't be certain. I did play with damper setting a little and all the Turner I test rode did have a nice front to rear balance in the vertical motion (all had fox forx including my Id)

However, overall, I didn't think the difference in bottom bracket height was noticeable and the feel was subtle. It's hard to pick out the differences when there are slight setup differences between riders.

Bottom line is I think the shorter romic makes the head angle a little slacker and the bb a little lower which may be the key to making an Id a better trail bike.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-16-2004 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I had my Id set up with a Romic shock (8" I2I) and the shock was recalled. I received the new one right before spring fling and it now has a 7.75" I2I which dropped my BB to less that 14.5" with 2.5" tires. Right away the ride felt a little different.

So off to Spring Fling where lots of peeps seem to be riding Turner 5-spots these days. Wow that's a sweet bike.

So lucky me, I got to spin around on one a while and even luckier, PaulJ had one set up very similiar to my Id. Standing them next to each other, they looked very similiar. I couldn't distinguish head angle differences but it was clear that his bb was lower--but not by a huge amount. The wheel bases were very similiar.

Certainly the standover was better on the turner but that doesn't matter at all to me since I don't get off the seat unless I'm completely getting off my bike.

So we switched bikes and rode them around the lot and over rocks. I did notice two things. The Turner felt stiffer laterally in the rear than the Id. Not a whole lot but it was noticeable. And the travel felt more balanced front to back when I bounced vertically on the pedals. Whether this was due to my setup, I can't be certain. I did play with damper setting a little and all the Turner I test rode did have a nice front to rear balance in the vertical motion (all had fox forx including my Id)

However, overall, I didn't think the difference in bottom bracket height was noticeable and the feel was subtle. It's hard to pick out the differences when there are slight setup differences between riders.

Bottom line is I think the shorter romic makes the head angle a little slacker and the bb a little lower which may be the key to making an Id a better trail bike.

The California Edition Id has just that; a shorter shock. It has a Fox Float R AVA Propedal and the spec is 7.5" x 2.0" - 5.25" of travel and the BB and standover are 3/4" lower than stock.

Ride on...
    Sold the Id; riding the Rogue, saving for an Evolve...I ride, I know.

mondo@thepathbikeshop.com

http://www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

California Edition Rocks

It would be hard pressed to match the setup. Fox Ava Propedal with Talas @ 125.Its a shame that Fox does make an air fork @ 125 mm. I don't think that the fork needs to be lower. I did alot of steep technical climbs with out a hitch. Tracks beautifully.The bike is a do all bike. It feels like a 4'' travel bike. Awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0