Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Lightest in the World @ 6lbs. 8 oz.?!!!

Well, my Ellsworth Epiphany showed up today. I know Ellsworth claims that it's the lightest 5" travel bike in the world. Well, mine comes in at 6lbs. 8 oz. Somehow, I doubt it's the lightest in the world.

I have seen several posts here with Large frames coming in at 5 1/2 lbs. How can it be so.

On another note, mine seems to have the aluminum rocker arms. Is that where the weight is coming from? How much does the aluminum add over the magnesium arms?

When I contacted Ellsworth about this, they claim they no longer offer magnesium arms. They said that once they started manufacturing in Washington they started manufacturing their own arms from stronger and lighter aluminum and a secret material mixed. WOW! pffff!!! I was under the impression that the magnesium rocker arms was a big part of the high price tag on the Epiphany. Is anyone else's '08 Epiphany equipped with the aluminum rockers?

When I asked where the magnesium arms came from the response was Europe. I'm not sure who I was talking to but I wonder if that was code for China????

Hmm, anyway, I can't decide to be happy or pissed about the new purchase. Any advise?

mtbr member
    My 08 Yeti 575 is 6.5 lbs. Maybe Ellsworth should edit their site? They should have cut the price a little if they're using aluminum now. I was going to buy an Epiphany but could muster the courage to spend that kind of coin.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I got a pretty god deal on mine but you still want to get what you think you're getting no matter what you pay....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    I got a pretty god deal on mine but you still want to get what you think you're getting no matter what you pay....
    Yeah no doubt. Seems like Ellsworth is always pulling shenanigans.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Rolling
    round and round we go....

Welcome to the Ellsworth club kbell.

If you bought the bike bases on the BS, then you should be mad. If you bought it cuz you liked the ride and other reasons, be happy and just ride it..

....and remember it next time you buy a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    round and round we go....

Welcome to the Ellsworth club kbell.

If you bought the bike bases on the BS, then you should be mad. If you bought it cuz you liked the ride and other reasons, be happy and just ride it..

....and remember it next time you buy a bike.
    I'll probably build it and see how it rides. I've considered sending it back. I really don't mind that it weighs 6.5 lbs. so much. I just don't like when a company claims something that isn't true. I've had Ellsworths in the past, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I hope the Epiphany rides as well as I think it will. I know Ellsworths pedal well even if they don't live up to other claims. They have always eaten up the terrain as well. 5" of XC type travel should be right up my alley. We'll see.....

Forgiven
    I dig my Epiphany........ but if you want wicked light and 5" go with the IBIS mojo SL.

mtbr member
    Well, my Ellsworth Epiphany showed up today. I know Ellsworth claims that it's the lightest 5" travel bike in the world. Well, mine comes in at 6lbs. 8 oz. Somehow, I doubt it's the lightest in the world.

I have seen several posts here with Large frames coming in at 5 1/2 lbs. How can it be so.

On another note, mine seems to have the aluminum rocker arms. Is that where the weight is coming from? How much does the aluminum add over the magnesium arms?

When I contacted Ellsworth about this, they claim they no longer offer magnesium arms. They said that once they started manufacturing in Washington they started manufacturing their own arms from stronger and lighter aluminum and a secret material mixed. WOW! pffff!!! I was under the impression that the magnesium rocker arms was a big part of the high price tag on the Epiphany. Is anyone else's '08 Epiphany equipped with the aluminum rockers?

When I asked where the magnesium arms came from the response was Europe. I'm not sure who I was talking to but I wonder if that was code for China????

Hmm, anyway, I can't decide to be happy or pissed about the new purchase. Any advise?

IMO, if the EPI is no longer equipped with Magnesium Rockers, their price should be lower than their price before when they are still equipped with Mag Rockers.
    I belive that the price of the EPI was a bit high compared to the Moment because of its Magnesium Rocker. Now, since its all aluminum maybe they should give a serious thought on their pricing.

Sometimes consumer also buys stuff because of how they are advertised and marketed.
    WE as a consumer should always know what are we getting from each product. Revisions & Improvements should be disclosed so not to create doubt on the purchased product.

Just my own thoughts on this matter.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kbell- Just Build That Ride And Enjoy Every Moment You're On It. I Believe You Know You Made The Correct Choice In Staying With An Ellsworth. So What If It's A Few Grams More Than What You Thought It Should Be And That The Rocker Are Now Aluminum That Won't Change That Ride You've Come To Love With An Ellsworth.
    I've Upgraded From My Truth To An Epi And I Can't Begin To Tell You How Much I Love It. My Complete Build Puts The Ride At 26 Lbs With The Use Of All The Good Stuff. Besides You Should See All The Attention My Bros And I Get At All Of The Trailheads. Since I Could Never Afford To Buy A Ferrari Of Even A Ducatti This Would Be Its Equal In Cycling.

VooDoo user.
    The moment is only $100 less, but wieghs 1 1/2+ #'s more. (coil equiped of course) So if there were to be a price reduction it likely won't be much.

Also be glad you have the upgraded rockers. The mag. rockers crack. Thats why the upgrade is aluminum. You can always save weight elsewhere. Lighter wheels, cranks, seatpost, stem, bars, tires, saddle, the list goes on.

Also I haven't seen any NEW ads stating that the EPI is the lightest. Just older articles.

mtbr member
    Hello
    I receve 2 epiphany last week from ellsworth
    and I have the magnesium rocket

i will check it with them today
    Ellsworth addict cince 16 years

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I dont recall the Epi being promoted as the lightest 5 inch bike . If ever they moved to aluminum rockers from magnesium , it is probably an improvement since they learned a lesson from the magnesium rockers cracking , I think even some of the serial numbered ones are now starting to crack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hmmm took a peek in the Ells website , it is supposed to be the lightest 5.25 inch bike in the world . That may be a gray area, how many bikes are exactly 5.25 inchers ?

A intense 5.5 FRO , or a Motolite Exogrid , or a Litespeed Niota would probably be lighter than a 6lb , 8oz Epi , but spec wise they are probably not 5.25 inch bikes ( a bit more or a bit less travel ).

Oh well , I do hope that your Epi rides great and that the rockers dont crack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, the beefier rocker are probably a blessing in disguise. It may make it more stable/less flexy as well. I have a fairly decent spec for my build. A pretty light wheel set came with the deal so that's a good start. I know Gary Fisher claims to have the lightest 5" trail bike available too. That whacko claimed he invented Mt. Bikes too though. Hell, I thought I did. He probably rides bikes and surfs the web with Al Gore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yangpei or BOSS ,

Are the rockers of the Epi and the Moment the same length/ dimension ? only different in material ?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by localboyvv
    Kbell- Just Build That Ride And Enjoy Every Moment You're On It. I Believe You Know You Made The Correct Choice In Staying With An Ellsworth. So What If It's A Few Grams More Than What You Thought It Should Be And That The Rocker Are Now ....
    Hey, what's with the crazy caps?

Anyway- does Ells use the "weight of frame doesn't include the shock" line that some of the other manufacturers do?
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, my Ventana Terremoto came in at 6.66 lbs (sans shock)

Good luck with that.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 01-29-2008 at 06:57 AM.

HIYAH
    That is weird...my moment with DHXair was just right at 6.0....!!!!???
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    That is weird...my moment with DHXair was just right at 6.0....!!!!???
    Sorry to call BS on this but the Medium that "THE PATH" bike shop weighed a while back came in @ 7.71#s ( DHX-air) . DO you have a custon XXXXSmall? Are you sure its not an EPI? I NEED proof!

HIYAH
    I got it broken down right now to sell the frame...so I will try to run by the shop and weigh it. They have one of those ultimate hook scales. I have known to exagerate...but we shall see!

Mine is an 07 size SM or MD, can't remember which.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    yes it's the same, just the material change
    Ellsworth addict cince 16 years

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    kbell,
    I depends on how important that pound is to you. If you're doing a big steel railed comfy seat, generic post/stem, bombproof/heavy wheels, a SRAM cassette, Shimano pedal ...anyway you get the picture... build, then what is a pound? If you are a WW then that pound will haunt you as you're counting grams. Been there done that as they used to say back in the day.

With that said I own an Evolve and there may be lighter 29er frames out there but I ain't trading.

Amphibious Technologies
    I believe the weight difference between the rockers is ~150grams. Ellsworth also weighs the frames without shock and maybe even without the bearings. "Frame only" weight as they say.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A pound isn't that big of a deal to me. It just when you think you're getting vanilla and lick chocolat it throws you off a little. I guess you have to watch the fine print with some folks.

I plan to build;

Frame - Large Nebulad Blue w/Fox R
    Fork - Fox 120 RLC
    HS - King
    Wheels - Crosmax ST
    Tires - Kenda Karma DTC (Stan's Juice)
    FD - XTR (960)
    RD - XO
    Shift - XO
    Cass - 990
    Chain - 990
    Post - Thomson
    Stem - Thomson X4
    Bars - Undecided
    Grips - ODI North Shore
    Seat - WTB Ti Team
    Cranks - XT
    Pedals - Egg Beater SL
    Brakes Juicey 7 (185/160)

Fairly light build but not over the top. I've experiemented with uberlight weight builds but sometime they just don't ride as well and aren't as much fun. I like to add weight where I think there will be a significant performance increase. I like stiff whereever I can get it and light where ever I can afford it.

Hopfully this won't come in too much over 26lbs.

Any thoughts?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by road dirt
    I dig my Epiphany........ but if you want wicked light and 5" go with the IBIS mojo SL.
    Funny you say that road dirt. I too love my Epiphany but I ride my Mojo almost all the time. The Epiphany is starting to take a back seat to the Ibis
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast