mtbr member

Light or Heavy Build on an Epiphany?

I just built up my Christmas present, an '07 large Epiphany! I was torn on how to build it up. Since the frame is light for a 5" travel bike, I thought about building it up as light as possible. But, I ended up putting a little more beafy parts on the bike, I took it out for its first spin and it still is very quick. Right now it is around 27.5 #. Has anyone built their Epi up in the 25-26 # range for cross country riding, and how do you like it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Just got mine tonight!!! 26.52 pounds with tubes. I am pulling the tubes this weekend and will dump some Stans and that should drop some lbs. I will let you know how I like it tomorrow.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

over 50 years of cycling

Epi Heavy

Your photo really shows off that color nicely.
    I built up my Epi "heavy", but based on economics,,,,i.e. a maxed out budget. I can whittle it down later, IF I need to and as I save up or wear out stuff.

Mine is 29 pounds, BUT, I ride aggressive XC/ AM and do a lot of steep climbing and haven't noticed a problem from the weight. I still go faster and climb better than previous lighter bikes (small travel and hard tail) and my riding buddies are whining about the pace I am setting.

There is more than weight to making the bike get there faster.

The Epi just has a really nice balance of geometry at a reasonable weight. And it just CRAWLS up and over stuff. It definitely requires a different "style" of riding than other bikes I have owned, and I am still learning how to coax the most out of it....its WAY better than I am.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member

Depends on rider and $$$

Mines pretty light. I dont know how much cos ive never weighed it. Size med. XTR gruppo, carbon bars, crossmax SL wheelset. I like to rip it up on the trails and see me riding style getting more aggressive. Im a nimble rider though and not heavy on the components thus have had no more than normal wear and tear. I shall be using this set-up for Morzine in the summer except for a gavity dropper seat post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Pach,

Is that an RP23 on your bike that's flipped right side up? I can't tell if it's an RP3 OR RP23 from the pic. I opted for the RP23 on my Epi and would like to right side the shock...don't like the looks of it upside down. Unfortunatley, nobody's been able to confirm if you can get an airpump on the schrader valve when it's right side up (my only concern). I don't care about getting to the Pro Pedal lever, as I have it set where I want it and wouldn't need to mess with it.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by RACERX70
    Hey Pach,

Is that an RP23 on your bike that's flipped right side up? I can't tell if it's an RP3 OR RP23 from the pic. I opted for the RP23 on my Epi and would like to right side the shock...don't like the looks of it upside down. Unfortunatley, nobody's been able to confirm if you can get an airpump on the schrader valve when it's right side up (my only concern). I don't care about getting to the Pro Pedal lever, as I have it set where I want it and wouldn't need to mess with it.
    Yep it's the RP23 and I had Chad at Red Barn flip it for me. And no problem on getting to the valve or the lever to use the Pro Pedal. I am glad I had it done. All of the dirt and sand grit just falls off the lower part of the shock.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm flippin shocks

I have the basic Fox ICT Tuned Float R on my Epi, flipped with the valve on top and it all works out just fine. No problem getting a pump on it. I am not sure if its the same geometry as the one you have.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Yep it's the RP23 and I had Chad at Red Barn flip it for me. And no problem on getting to the valve or the lever to use the Pro Pedal. I am glad I had it done. All of the dirt and sand grit just falls off the lower part of the shock.

Awesome...thanks for the info!