Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    571

    Kicked my Morphine habit.

    I jumped off the deep end yesterday and bought my first FS, a 2007 Moment. Bought the frame only and looking forward to putting together my own bike for the first time. My first purchase will be a fork so I'm looking for some advice. Past posts have suggested the Talas and Lyric but I really love the feel of the Zokes. I'm currently running a 2004 Z150 FR on my HT and it is really cush. Is anyone running 66's? Can you run a 180mm fork on a 2007 Moment. From what I have gathered the HA on the 2007 is 69 degrees, with what length fork I'm not sure. For what it's worth, I'm 6'1", 195 lbs and plan to ride 50% DH and 50% XC, no huge drops, just love to bomb and ride as fast as I can. I am also one of those dumb asses that love to climb. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. Any other suggestions as far as parts go would be greatly appreciated also. I did read the thread on Moment builds but didn't see anyone with my height and weight and very few large frame builds.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    44

    Mine is being built this week

    I am building my 07 Moment this week. The final parts should be here in an hour. I am building mine up with a 08 66 ATA. The 08 66 ATA is a massive fork. It weights 6.4 lbs uncut. It looks to be overkill for this frame but we will see. I am sure I will be running it at 160mm most of the time. I will let you know how it works out after this weekend’s maiden voyage.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    292
    55 ATA's?
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

    Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

  4. #4
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    I have a 66 ATA on mine, '07. It's great, I love the added stiffness. I did need the Ventana CK 3mm spacer because the crown would just barely hit the downtube.

    I don't run it at 180mm because it's just too raked out. I like it at about 145-160mm. It complements the bike nicely because of the travel adjust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    44

    ATA Knob Hits

    I just tried installing my 66 ATA and the crown clears the downtube but the ATA knob hits. Bummer, I should have done a little more research. I hope a local shop has plus size crown race so I can get things together by the weekend.

  6. #6
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    I had a '07 66 on my '05. As chad mentioned it rakes the bike out quite a bit @ the 180 setting. 165mm is good. Though I may look at the RS lyrik. Push industries will soon be working their magic soon and I'm a big fan of custom tuning.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    74

    I'd say we ride for the same fun!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    My first purchase will be a fork so I'm looking for some advice. Past posts have suggested the Talas and Lyric but I really love the feel of the Zokes. , I'm 6'1", 195 lbs and plan to ride 50% DH and 50% XC, no huge drops, just love to bomb and ride as fast as I can. I am also one of those dumb asses that love to climb. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. Any other suggestions as far as parts go would be greatly appreciated also..
    I had only zokes on my recent bike, and loved them.
    For the moment i got a lyric u turn coil.
    I can tell you this: It's a great fork! if you are a climber the u turn will help change the geo'.
    Along that, it has a stable platform adjust.
    It's everything you'll' ever need from a fork.
    Combined with the dhx air, It seems that the ground under you is FLAT!
    Any fork from any manufacturer you'll get from the AM linup will do a great job, but that is my sugestion.
    benny

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    756
    I have a Talas 36 and love it. Very smooth. I run it at 130 for most of the up parts and have used the 100 once. I have also been running the propedal at max on my DHX for some climbs and really like it, not too much action but enough to keep constant traction and still feel firm when pedaling hard.

    On the other hand I love the 160 setting to just coast down those steep rocky sections with ease.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

    http://blog.cyclng.com/

  9. #9
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    There's a sweet Z1 Light in the classifieds - coil sweetness with ETA. To me, that was my ideal fork when I bought this bike but it was sold out. I use my bike as a more AM machine than DH/FR so the smaller fork makes some sense, though I will not part with my 66 now. But I loved ETA for climbing because it was quick and easy. Maybe a 55 ETA would be an option you could try if you're looking to stick with Marzocchi.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    There's a sweet Z1 Light in the classifieds - coil sweetness with ETA. To me, that was my ideal fork when I bought this bike but it was sold out. I use my bike as a more AM machine than DH/FR so the smaller fork makes some sense, though I will not part with my 66 now. But I loved ETA for climbing because it was quick and easy. Maybe a 55 ETA would be an option you could try if you're looking to stick with Marzocchi.
    How does your 66 ATA handle on climbs? The Z150 I have now is ETA and I have looked into both the 55 ATA and the 55 ETA because I'm not too sure that I need to get into the 180mm range because of the rake. If I understand correctly, the ATA, whether it a 55 or 66, has a range of adjustments between 40mm and 60mm. The ETA is either 160mm or 25mm for climbing. I guess what I am looking for is for someone to tell me that the ATA is going to climb as well as the ETA.

  11. #11
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    How does your 66 ATA handle on climbs? The Z150 I have now is ETA and I have looked into both the 55 ATA and the 55 ETA because I'm not too sure that I need to get into the 180mm range because of the rake. If I understand correctly, the ATA, whether it a 55 or 66, has a range of adjustments between 40mm and 60mm. The ETA is either 160mm or 25mm for climbing. I guess what I am looking for is for someone to tell me that the ATA is going to climb as well as the ETA.
    I leave the fork at it's lowest setting for climbing, then add more travel as I descend. It's one of those things where everything is up, then down. We don't have a lot of variation on that theme. If I go to Bootleg Canyon, I might just set it up around 145 or more because I need to have a middle of the road geometry.

    ETA is better for varying terrain where you have to change geo often. ATA is better (because it doesn't lock out the travel) for those extended climbs/descents because it's more active. I don't really like my bike at 160mm for general trail riding (150mm is better but all the forks have gone to 160), but I think that my bike may be more influenced by that setting because it's a small. The wheelbase of a small frame is slightly less than a med/lg so it doesn't have the same stability at longer travel settings.

    From what I see, most people will run their med/lg frames with a 160mm fork standard (Lyrik, 36) so if that works for general trail riding, then the ETA equipped fork would be perfect.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    74

    I didn't use eta on technical climbes.

    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    ETA is better for varying terrain where you have to change geo often. ATA is better (because it doesn't lock out the travel) for those extended climbs/descents because it's more active. I don't really like my bike at 160mm for general trail riding (150mm is better but all the forks have gone to 160), but I think that my bike may be more influenced by that setting because it's a small. The wheelbase of a small frame is slightly less than a med/lg so it doesn't have the same stability at longer travel settings.

    From what I see, most people will run their med/lg frames with a 160mm fork standard (Lyrik, 36) so if that works for general trail riding, then the ETA equipped fork would be perfect.
    It's advantage is on the fly very easy adjustability. The problem is that it locks the rebound, travel gets shorter when compressed.

    I also think that 150mm is the best travel for the new moment. i recently bought a 2006 moment and swiched the fox talas 150 to a lyric coil u turn for the ability to set travel at 150mm.

    benny

  13. #13
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    I could see 145-165 being the perfect range for the moment.

    Saw the New Wotan yesterday. All I could do is drop my jaw. Fork is sweet and the remote travel adjust is slick. Time will tell if the system holds up. Really seems like anything w/travel adjust eventually fails.
    Talas=poop
    2-step=poop
    ata=poop
    manitou= WHO!
    Magura=too new
    Kowa=too new

    Thinking that when the ata goes out again I'm gonna do a float or soloair. something w/out adjust.

    Sorry for the rant. Too much coffee.

  14. #14
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    I could see 145-165 being the perfect range for the moment.

    Saw the New Wotan yesterday. All I could do is drop my jaw. Fork is sweet and the remote travel adjust is slick. Time will tell if the system holds up. Really seems like anything w/travel adjust eventually fails.
    Talas=poop
    2-step=poop
    ata=poop
    manitou= WHO!
    Magura=too new
    Kowa=too new

    Thinking that when the ata goes out again I'm gonna do a float or soloair. something w/out adjust.

    Sorry for the rant. Too much coffee.
    U Turn seems okay, as was TAS, but they discontinued that. Can't go wrong with just mechanical wind-down. The Moment could use a 1.5" head tube, too as an option. The forks are actually a bit lighter not to mention stronger.

    What happened to your ATA? There's a few guys in CO who are pretty adept with Marzocchi stuff. Renegade comes to mind; I think he's near Nederland/Boulder.

  15. #15
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    U Turn seems okay, as was TAS, but they discontinued that. Can't go wrong with just mechanical wind-down. The Moment could use a 1.5" head tube, too as an option. The forks are actually a bit lighter not to mention stronger.

    What happened to your ATA? There's a few guys in CO who are pretty adept with Marzocchi stuff. Renegade comes to mind; I think he's near Nederland/Boulder.
    Yea Renegade and I have meet up a few times and checked out the fork. His fix is a good one. But unless you have Zoke put in the new doohickey that has hard ano the metal is to soft and wears a groove until the clicks go away. Sorry so vague.

    Hopefully the new cartrige with the hardened ano will wear better. Time will tell. From what it seems the '08s are holding up. The internal design is the same Between the '07 and '08s.

    I do love the smooth buttery action of the fork. If this latest fix works I'll likely stay with it for a while.

  16. #16
    bi_ke
    Guest
    Is anyone running a deep cup headset? I just bought a Fox 36, and am not in the mood to upgrade my King to something deeper.
    Must I?
    Last edited by bi_ke; 02-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.

  17. #17
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by bi_ke
    Is anyone running a deep cup headset? I just bought a Fox 36, and am not in the mood to upgrade my King to something deeper.
    I think the Cane Creek 110 would be just fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •