Thread: Joker Weight?

mtbr member

Joker Weight?

I looking for a trail/freeridebike which would be light enough for 3-5 hour singletrack rides (with uphills also) and I would be able to keep up with the speed of the XC guys for a while.

It would have to withstand some freeriding like this also:
    http://www.steelduck.com/public/free...0_2011_std.jpg
    (That is me on my Planet-X Armadillo hardtail)

The Moment is way too expensive for me, but Joker would be OK. I have been looking at the Santa Cruz Heckler and I could build it to be a 30lbs bike.

Could you please post some weigh/setup info of you Jokers. Pictures would be nice too...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by steelduck
    I looking for a trail/freeridebike which would be light enough for 3-5 hour singletrack rides (with uphills also) and I would be able to keep up with the speed of the XC guys for a while.

The Moment is way too expensive for me, but Joker would be OK. I have been looking at the Santa Cruz Heckler and I could build it to be a 30lbs bike.

Could you please post some weigh/setup info of you Jokers. Pictures would be nice too...
    My 02 Joker was a little over 6lbs for the frame only. The 700lb x 2.25 spring on the Romic added a significant amout of weight however. I'm not sure if the newer versions got ony heavier with the travel limits reaching 7". My complete bike was approx 31 lbs as pictured. It pedaled well enough for xc rides and was beefy enough for DH shuttle runs with a quick fork swap. I really enjoyed the bike.

The benefit of the Joker would be the ability to run 5" or 7" of rear travel where the heckler is 5" only. You would need a different shock to get the 5" of travel but I'm sure you could find a low $$ air or coil shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing to see here.

I lean like a cholo!

mine has run the gamut on weight

Quote Originally Posted by steelduck

I had my 02 joker (medium) built with a Vanilla RC rear shock, and a Vanilla RLC front shock, XT cranks, shifter, deraillers, avid 160mm mechanical disc and levers, FSA skypilot headset, no name stem, answer protaper bar, thomson set post, wtb ti railed seat, rhynolite xl rims on xt hubs, WTB 2.4 Mutano rubbers, and mag flat pedals. It weighed in about 31.5 to 32.5lbs. Great set up for trailriding and occasional dh/fr. Great climber and descender. It has since gained a 04 Super-t fork, oversized bar, bigger rotors, maxxis DH tires and tubes, DH saddle, heavier pedals, E-13 front chainguide, and FSA dh pro headset. It now weighs in at around 42 to 43lbs. It now sucks to climb but screams on the downs and jumps. I would post a pic but I don't have a recent one and the fork is at marzocchi right now.
    I think you could build one up with a single crown fork and a Romic (lighter than the Fox) and a careful parts and tire selection and have it around 30lbs or a little bit more. If you want a bike worthy of the downs 32 to 33lbs is more realistic.
    Good luck
    John
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

mtbr member

My joker

i have an 04 black joker with a romic, 03 marzocchi Jr. T, rhyno lite rims, avid mechanicals (8" front 6" rear). Azonic bars WTB saddle. soon to be WTB wierwolf tires. my bike weighs about 35 to 37 pounds. It pedals up hill really nice!!I I will son be getting Hayes HFX HD brakes.

I would post pics but my camera isnt working right now, but I will post pics