Intensely Laid-Back

Isis and Freeriding; Opinions

Anybody doing any light freeriding on their Isis?

I didn't think the Isis was good with a coil shock but I have seen a number of posts here of Isis bikes with beefy coil shocks.

I bought the bike before I knew I liked jumping off stuff. So now I am a little worried it might not be up to it. I love doing North Shore stunts and some urban jumping and thrashing. I am too wimpy to do any big drops, no more than 4 feet.

Just wondering what the general thoughts out there are about this.

Am I in the right arena with this rig?

What shock do you recommend?

Thanks.
    ------->It doesn't have to be fun to be fun<-------

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Technohippybiker
    Anybody doing any light freeriding on their Isis?

I didn't think the Isis was good with a coil shock but I have seen a number of posts here of Isis bikes with beefy coil shocks.

I bought the bike before I knew I liked jumping off stuff. So now I am a little worried it might not be up to it. I love doing North Shore stunts and some urban jumping and thrashing. I am too wimpy to do any big drops, no more than 4 feet.

Just wondering what the general thoughts out there are about this.

Am I in the right arena with this rig?

What shock do you recommend?

Thanks.
    Not recommended. The Isis is an XC bike with thin walled tubing. Adding a coil shock does not make it a jump bike. Find a used Joker or Moment to replace the Isis.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Not recommended. The Isis front triangle does not have the same construction as the joker. I read in the other thread that your isis is a '99 or '00 model, so you may not have the strongest swingarm as well.

Time is not a road.
    You know, I think that bike could handle 4' drops. It can accept at least 2.4/2.5 tires, depending on the brand, you could get a decent fork for it up front. But I'd say it depends on how you finesse it.

From the 2003 catalog: "...fully-active suspension travel while pedaling or braking over any terrain, and ruggedness to handle today's aggressive free-riders..."

"...unlimited, all-mountain fun."

I'm not saying that I recommend it, but I think it can handle it. For a while.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    You know, I think that bike could handle 4' drops. It can accept at least 2.4/2.5 tires, depending on the brand, you could get a decent fork for it up front. But I'd say it depends on how you finesse it.

From the 2003 catalog: "...fully-active suspension travel while pedaling or braking over any terrain, and ruggedness to handle today's aggressive free-riders..."

"...unlimited, all-mountain fun."

I'm not saying that I recommend it, but I think it can handle it. For a while.
    Yeah, the type of tires you can cram in there determine the type of riding you can do on the bike.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth