mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Installed the Fox 32 Talas RLC 140 today!!!

O man I cant want to go out riding tomorrow!

The Talas RLC 140 is sooo much nicer than my old Float 130. The controls look much nicer. The dropouts are at a nice angle. The fork is built studier and stiffer. The cable routing is way improved. The 140mm is just a tad slacker which seems perfect and I like the ability to hit 100mm for the climbs. Plus the blow-off valve sounds waaaayyyy cooler! Instead of making that stupid squeak when you bam of it, the fork now blows off much more easily and sounds freaking sweet. Makes a nice pssssssttttt almost like a turbo on a car. Ill let you guys know how it rides soon

Time is not a road.
    Do you find it difficult to get the wheel in and out of the dropouts? I found the angle to be hard to manage, plus I think the fork tapered too much at the bottom so I had to separate the legs to squeeze the wheel in. Not a deal breaker for sure, just a minor annoyance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Do you find it difficult to get the wheel in and out of the dropouts? I found the angle to be hard to manage, plus I think the fork tapered too much at the bottom so I had to separate the legs to squeeze the wheel in. Not a deal breaker for sure, just a minor annoyance.

I actually did find this. The angle bothered me less than the fact that I also had to separate the legs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Travel adjustable forks...

I would like to chime in here and start a discussion about travel adjustable forks, especially the TALAS.

Firstly, i would like to respond to the above posts:

Fork tapered too much??
    "angle" hard to manage??
    Separate the legs??

I am having a hard time visualizing what you are talking about. Can you please explain, perhaps with a pic or 2.

I currently have one of the 1st generation (2002) Vanilla 125 RL forks on my Epi. I love the steep, techy climbs (this is where i excel). And i have found that the Epi actually almost makes things too easy...it is silly how well this bike climbs. I have tried it at 105mm and 125 mm and have had no discernable reduction in climbing performance (105 made the bike twitchy though). I dont anticipate that another 15 mm will do much harm

I will be upgrading to some type of 07 Fox fork, the jury is still somewhat out on which one. I dont think that the extra 15 mm of travel will do too much harm to my climbing

I currently have an 07 TALAS R sitting in my garage. I bought the fork online and was sent the wrong fork (I ordered a Vanilla RLC). Although the Vanilla is cheaper, aside from the trave adjustability function, i consider Vanilla is an upgrade because it has a lockout, smoother action, simpler design all at just a few more grams. The lockout is very important to me since about half of my rides involve considerable road sections (i hate driving to the trailhead) and i NEED to be able to freeze things up and just stomp (my rear shock is the RS MC3.3 which has a lockout and i love it dearly). I would choose Vanilla ocer Float due to its better action and cost.

I have noticed that the majority of Epi pics in this forum have some version of the TALAS fork. So i am wondering what you all think of it, and how much value you truly place on the travel adjustability.

Is it really useful, or just a neat gadget. I'm sure that a lot of you use the feature from time to time but is it because of an empirical improvement in performance (ie. while climbing) or simply because you have the option?

In short, do the means justify the end?

thanks for your input,
    Thumbies

Time is not a road.
    When you put the wheel in the dropouts, it doesn't fit. So you have to hold the legs apart to fit the axle in. I suppose this makes for a nice tight fit at the dropouts, by my front brake rubbed on the Fox where it didn't on the Marzocchi AM 1.

As far as travel adjust goes, I used it to match the HA of the bike so that it rode well "all around". I used ETA for really steep climbs then set it back when the climb was over. In my mind, TALAS is not really for "on the fly" climbs as much as matching the fork to the bike, though with the new upgrade and only three settings, it's more useful "on the fly". The nice thing, unlike ETA, is that the fork will remain active in the other settings.

Now, for you...it's hard to say. It seems that the Epiphany would be perfect for all conditions in the longer travel setting (of the Fox forks). I hate twitchy feeling bikes, so for me the ETA was a perfect tool since I would only really want it for going up. If TALAS is as functional, then I would use it. I don't have any experience with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thumbies,

I have a 07 TALAS RLC on my Epi and really like it. The adjustability makes a very versatile bike, even more so. It's has an un-believably smooth action (not quite as smooth as a Vanilla) and is very stiff, yet only weighs 3.8 lbs. I think the new 3 position travel adjuster compliments the bike well, too. Depending on the trail, I use it quite often. Rarely ever use the lock out though.

That being said, I probably use the 140 mode the most, and have found the bike still climbs the steeps un-believably well. You could probably live happily ever after with a fixed 140. Not sure what the axle to crown height is on the Vanilla, but Tom from Ells told me the Epi's geometry was based on the A/C height of the Float 130. Just so happens the 07 TALAS has the same A/C height as the Float 130, but with 10mm more travel!

In the tight single-track, I usually drop down to the 120 mode. Since the bike has a longish wheel-base and a tall bb height, 120 makes the ride much more intuitive when the trails get tight and twisty. I don't use the 100 mode for anything other than climbing really steep stuff. It's pretty much useless for anything else. I'm glad to have it though.

I have the same complaint as the others with the dropouts being too tight. Because of this, I always manage to displace my disc pads ever so slightly when trying to position my wheel into the dropouts. Invariably, this causes my pad to rub on the rotor. I'm getting better though with practice. It's still an annoyance however.

I say give the TALAS a try. I think the performance advantages the new TALAS offers over the 02 Vanilla would certainly make up for the lack of a Lockout. I don't ride the road as often as you do, but I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't miss it after a few rides. The only reason I have the RLC is because it was the only model TALAS my dealer had. Otherwise, I would've opted for the R model.

RX

Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    I would like to chime in here and start a discussion about travel adjustable forks, especially the TALAS.

Firstly, i would like to respond to the above posts:

Fork tapered too much??
    "angle" hard to manage??
    Separate the legs??

I am having a hard time visualizing what you are talking about. Can you please explain, perhaps with a pic or 2.

I currently have one of the 1st generation (2002) Vanilla 125 RL forks on my Epi. I love the steep, techy climbs (this is where i excel). And i have found that the Epi actually almost makes things too easy...it is silly how well this bike climbs. I have tried it at 105mm and 125 mm and have had no discernable reduction in climbing performance (105 made the bike twitchy though). I dont anticipate that another 15 mm will do much harm

I will be upgrading to some type of 07 Fox fork, the jury is still somewhat out on which one. I dont think that the extra 15 mm of travel will do too much harm to my climbing

I currently have an 07 TALAS R sitting in my garage. I bought the fork online and was sent the wrong fork (I ordered a Vanilla RLC). Although the Vanilla is cheaper, aside from the trave adjustability function, i consider Vanilla is an upgrade because it has a lockout, smoother action, simpler design all at just a few more grams. The lockout is very important to me since about half of my rides involve considerable road sections (i hate driving to the trailhead) and i NEED to be able to freeze things up and just stomp (my rear shock is the RS MC3.3 which has a lockout and i love it dearly). I would choose Vanilla ocer Float due to its better action and cost.

I have noticed that the majority of Epi pics in this forum have some version of the TALAS fork. So i am wondering what you all think of it, and how much value you truly place on the travel adjustability.

Is it really useful, or just a neat gadget. I'm sure that a lot of you use the feature from time to time but is it because of an empirical improvement in performance (ie. while climbing) or simply because you have the option?

In short, do the means justify the end?

thanks for your input,
    Thumbies

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Trade Ya?

Your slightly used RLC for my slightly lighter R (fewer knobs)....

thumbies

I NEED to have the lockout

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If I would'nt have already spent a few hundy on the PUSH mod, I would take you up on it.

bwc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just got an Epi with the Fox TALAS RLC fork. I thought the travel adjustments would be a gimmick but they work very well. Unfortunately just started snowing and I am almost done riding for the season.

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the 07 rlc's and can't say I've experienced any problems fitting the wheel, in fact I run two sets one for racing and the other for hackin around and the both fit perfectly in the dropout. That said both wheels are Mavic's so I guess if one fits so would the other.
    You do have to back the skewer off a far bit to get the wheel in, but this is a good thing as you're never going to lose the wheel if the skewer comes loose.

The travel switch is easy to use and as a result I'm constantly using it to suit trail conditions. The ability to get that nose down on steep technical stuff is a real advantage and combined with the epiphany frame itís the best climbing bike I've ever used.

Lovin it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

snow...

>Just got an Epi with the Fox TALAS RLC fork. I thought the travel adjustments would be >a gimmick but they work very well. Unfortunately just started snowing and I am almost >
    >done riding for the season.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input.
    BTW, riding in the snow is a blast. I loooove winter riding!

thumbies

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I must say after a couple good rides with the new fork I really do love it. The Talas works great! So nice to adjust on the fly. the 90 and 120mm settings are seeing alot of use. The complaints I had about the dropouts seem to be better now. Think it just needed a couple good rides to take shape.