mtbr member
    Sep 2005

If you go down to the woods today...

(and you happen to be in the Surrey Hills, UK!) you might see some Ellsworths...

Paul was trying out an Evolve..

And Andy was jumping off stuff....

Also out to play were an Id and a Truth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How are you liking the evolve?? And have you ridden other 29er's? How does it compare. Looks like fun.

Time is not a road.
    Yeah, you're the only person who'd ridden the Evolve on these boards. Report!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Evolve was just back from being thrashed by a couple of UK magazines, so as usual it wasn't in the greatest state of repair - the Reba's were only giving about 40mm of travel...!

This was my first time on a 29er (and I only had a quick bounce around the car park on it), so I can't compare with others of big-wheeled ilk. Paul's feedback was that it didn't handle well in tight singletrack, both from a constant small accelerations point of view, and because the steering felt very slow (Paul's normal bikes are a Moment and a Truth). Where it scored was on rolling terrain where it was easy to maintain momentum once you'd got going.

I shall be trying to take the bike out for a more extended test run this coming weekend so will report back after that.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd chime in on the 29-er observations:

1) Reba, 40mm- was that because there was too much positive air, so not using all of the travel, or because there was too much negative air and it was getting "negative sag" down into the travel? "Negative sag" to that degree would really really mess up the handling on the bike...
    2) Small accelerations- I agree as compared from my Truth to my Salsa, the Truth gets quick quicker- but it's negligble and for most purposes other than XC racing, the increased momentum also noted seems to more than make up the difference.
    3) Tight handling- there's a learning curve on this in my experience. Yes, the front wheel does not "snap" around as fast- but once you get used to the bigger wheel, it actually is more controllable for me due to it's solid, stable feel. In other words, the Truth is a "snappy" bike, the Salsa a "stable" one- make sense?

The one area, however, where I feel there has been a significant drawback for the 29'er compared to Truth (or my Jamis XLT 3.0, for that matter) is slow speed tech climbing. You know, that hill with rocks and waterbars that you make about 25% of the time, climbing up it, oh god, am I going to make it, got to bring the wheel around and lift it up onto that rock... noticeably harder to do on the 29-er.

Enough rambling...

Sweet looking bike.
    Mike