Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    32

    ID's BB height issue

    I have measured my Id's bb height - floor to center of BB, and found out it measures 15.1", with a stock Romic shock , a 130 mm marz. Z1 SL , and panaracer fire XC 2.1 tires.
    On ells' website the Id's bb height is specc'd 14".
    Why the differance ? Is the website wrong, did I get my measurements wrong (should I measure the bike with SAG?? ) or WHAT ???
    Any one got differant numbers ? (I know the older 5.75" Id's are slightly lower)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    305

    Id Bb Height Issue

    Do a search... you'll find lots of info about that.

    I think the biggest issue is which fork was EW using when those measurements were made. It may have be Maniatu Black or something far shorter in overall height than the Z1.

    Mine is 15' or so as well with ZI FR and 2.4 Muto tires.( Romic 8" shock)

    I've learned to love the tall BB and will never go back to lower ones.

    Having said that I'll be building another Giant AC soon as a second bike, which ride nice but.. that BB is much lower and after hitting the pedals enough I'll get used to it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    286
    I owned a Z-1 before and was very surprised at the axle to crown measurement it was very tall. I think a fox or manituo would be at least an inch and a half shorter. Not sure if that will get you close to published numbers but z-1 are very tall. Just an observation.

  4. #4
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,480
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic fruitcake
    I have measured my Id's bb height - floor to center of BB, and found out it measures 15.1", with a stock Romic shock , a 130 mm marz. Z1 SL , and panaracer fire XC 2.1 tires.
    On ells' website the Id's bb height is specc'd 14".
    Why the differance ? Is the website wrong, did I get my measurements wrong (should I measure the bike with SAG?? ) or WHAT ???
    Any one got differant numbers ? (I know the older 5.75" Id's are slightly lower)
    I can't get to the faq an ells site right now but i think I remember reading that they measure the BB height in the weighted position with the recommended amount of sag.
    Nothing to see here.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    32
    I have emailed ellsworth about this, and I will wait for an answer.
    About the Z1 - a friend of mine who also rides an Id has measured it with a Psylo fork and a califrnia edition shock, (which is supposed to lower the BB by 3/4"), and he got 13.9"...
    So no way a standard edition Id would measure 14" , unless this number is with sag.
    After about 2 month of riding the bike, and really trying to get used to it, I have not succeeded yet...

  6. #6
    The Ancient One
    Reputation: Steve from JH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I can't get to the faq an ells site right now but i think I remember reading that they measure the BB height in the weighted position with the recommended amount of sag.
    That's correct.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally Posted by tom schoonveld
    I owned a Z-1 before and was very surprised at the axle to crown measurement it was very tall. I think a fox or manituo would be at least an inch and a half shorter. Not sure if that will get you close to published numbers but z-1 are very tall. Just an observation.
    The Z1 is slightly under an inch taller than the Fox (Vanilla). The effect on the bottom bracket would be about half of that difference.

    It seems that Ellsworth measures BB height differently than other bike manufacturers. I hope that fact is plainly listed on the site. Most manufacturers list BB height at shock full extension. It seems that many Ellsworth owners were somewhat surprised by the height of the BB.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    45

    BB height adjustments

    The californian edition looks like a good frame, well it looks like ellsworth have finally noted the BB height is way too high and are now fixing it with a shorter eye to eye shock, which if you want to go to the expense is what you can do with your ID to lower the BB height. The standard ID has a 7.875" E-E, the californian is 7.5" i think.

  9. #9
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: coldsteele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriderpro
    Do a search... you'll find lots of info about that.

    I think the biggest issue is which fork was EW using when those measurements were made. It may have be Maniatu Black or something far shorter in overall height than the Z1.

    Mine is 15' or so as well with ZI FR and 2.4 Muto tires.( Romic 8" shock)

    I've learned to love the tall BB and will never go back to lower ones.
    I was surprised too when I measured my BB most people who don't know or ride EW bikes don't believe the height.

    I have to agree. I like the higher BB. The only problem I have is around here the trails that i ride there are small trees on the inside of a lot of turns and they catch my bars because I need to lean in farther.
    The best thing is not beating your pedals on the ground and chainringing logs.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    272

    Beware the laid back angles

    Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan
    The californian edition looks like a good frame, well it looks like ellsworth have finally noted the BB height is way too high and are now fixing it with a shorter eye to eye shock, which if you want to go to the expense is what you can do with your ID to lower the BB height. The standard ID has a 7.875" E-E, the californian is 7.5" i think.
    What Ells doesn't tell you about the Cal Id and the shorter I2I is that the seat and head angles also slackens roughly a degree. That's probably OK for the too steep standard HA but the seat angle gets ridiculously slack for an intended trail bike and any real pedalling efforts.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger
    What Ells doesn't tell you about the Cal Id and the shorter I2I is that the seat and head angles also slackens roughly a degree. That's probably OK for the too steep standard HA but the seat angle gets ridiculously slack for an intended trail bike and any real pedalling efforts.
    Did you test this geometry yourself on your ID or are you speculating?

  12. #12
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    It is common sense.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  13. #13
    E~Pluribus Unum
    Reputation: Paul J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStraw
    Did you test this geometry yourself on your ID or are you speculating?

    As the rear shock compresses, the h/a & s/a slacken, as well as the bb height drops.

    Take your rear shock and let all the air out or take the coil off. Compress the rear end and see what happens.

    -Paul J

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaxxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    188

    Axle to crown

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic fruitcake
    I have measured my Id's bb height - floor to center of BB, and found out it measures 15.1", with a stock Romic shock , a 130 mm marz. Z1 SL , and panaracer fire XC 2.1 tires.
    On ells' website the Id's bb height is specc'd 14".
    Why the differance ? Is the website wrong, did I get my measurements wrong (should I measure the bike with SAG?? ) or WHAT ???
    Any one got differant numbers ? (I know the older 5.75" Id's are slightly lower)
    It will cost you a pretty penny, but the Maverick Fork, Dual crown weights 3.5lbs, adjustable between 6-4 and has an axle to crown of 517, that''s below a 5" fox. Its a nice mate to your frame.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,986

    Not True

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxxon
    It will cost you a pretty penny, but the Maverick Fork, Dual crown weights 3.5lbs, adjustable between 6-4 and has an axle to crown of 517, that''s below a 5" fox. Its a nice mate to your frame.
    Fox axle to crown is about 495 (definitely in the 490's). The Maverick is about an inch taller than the F0x. I do agree that it's a good match for the ID.....if you like that fork. It has the same A-C distance as the Marzocchi Z1FR.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaxxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    188

    fox axle to crown

    I measured a FOX talas RLC 125. Center of axle to crown was about 505, if I went off the top of the drop out it was around 500. If I measured the Maverick fork the same way I got 517 center of Axle and 502 top of drop out. Not to mention that the new Fox fork is 130mm it would increase the Center to Axle to 512. So there virtually the same.

Similar Threads

  1. What's your preferred BB drop?
    By anden in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 06:41 AM
  2. BB Height on Giant DH Comp.....
    By hbfrdh1 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 11:34 AM
  3. Giant VT series (w/ a high BB height)
    By PiroChu in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
  4. Dilemma: rear travel options & BB height
    By PiroChu in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:19 PM
  5. BB / chainline issue with tire clearance
    By rpet in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 09:40 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •