Thread: id sizing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

id sizing

How tall of a rider can comfortably ride a small id

I am about 5'9" and am looking at a used 2003 small id, id that going to be too small for me?

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Yes! I'm 6' and rode a large. A medium was way to small for me. Get a Moment. You will like it better anyway.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    Yes! I'm 6' and rode a large. A medium was way to small for me. Get a Moment. You will like it better anyway.
    Odd, I'm 6' and find the med fine. I have short legs but the toptube is 23.25 inches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rich
    How tall of a rider can comfortably ride a small id

I am about 5'9" and am looking at a used 2003 small id, id that going to be too small for me?
    if you are normally proportioned, I 'd reckon it would be too small for you. I am about 5'7" and ride a small Id. I am in between sizes. I reckon I could ride a medium Id. I actually own a medium (18") '04 Truth, which has the same top tube length as a medium Id.

If you get a small Id, you'll be needing a 100mm+ stem and that'd still be an upright position. To get a stretched out XC/race position, I was using 110-120mm stems when I raced my Id (before I got the truth), and now use 90mm stem for an upright position (for drops etc).

I suppose it depends on what you are used to - how stetched out a position you are used to. Check out the saddle-handlebar measurement on your current frame. My Id is 66cm from middle of seatpost to middle of handlebar with a 90mm stem on it.

I know a few people who are only slightly taller than me, and they ride medium Id's no problems.

home slice chili sauce
    May 2005
    I'm about 5'7'' and I ride a med ID without any problems. Stand over is an issue that I have "worked out" by adjusting my ridig style. At 5'9'' you shouldn't have any issues, but inseam, reach and other measurements need to be considered.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by solarity
    I'm about 5'7'' and I ride a med ID without any problems. Stand over is an issue that I have "worked out" by adjusting my ridig style. At 5'9'' you shouldn't have any issues, but inseam, reach and other measurements need to be considered.
    I think you just enhanced his worries that a small will be too small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What worked for me

I am about 5'9" with a rather short 28 inseam. My 2003 small Id had a standover issue that I had trouble dealing with, until I turned it into a Cali edition with a 7.5 x 2.0 Fox RP3. That solved the SO problem. The fit is perfect with a 120mm stem. I have always liked the feel of a small frame for XC or trail riding. Makes it very tossable. Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2k
    I am about 5'9" with a rather short 28 inseam. My 2003 small Id had a standover issue that I had trouble dealing with, until I turned it into a Cali edition with a 7.5 x 2.0 Fox RP3. That solved the SO problem. The fit is perfect with a 120mm stem. I have always liked the feel of a small frame for XC or trail riding. Makes it very tossable. Jim
    Hey jimbo2k,

I did the same thing with my small Id (put a 7.5" RP3 on it), but I'm finding that the rocker is hitting the seatpost collar on the bigger drops (now has a little dent in it). I've tried the original and now a hope seatpost collar, looking for a thinner one. What seatpost collar are you using?

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I have a 34" inseam and ran a short stem.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!