Thread: id question

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

id question

I have an Ellsworth id frame, a bit older I know but I am excited to build it up. I'm a bit tall (6'4") and though the frame is a large, I want to bring the riding angle up in the back a bit (not just talking about a longer seat post). I was wondering if it is possible to swap rocker arms with, say, a Method rocker arm that is much longer. that would push the rear wheel down a few inches, and to compensate I would have to have a stiffer rear shock I imagine (based on the change in theta, the torque over the pivot would be greater). Am I crazy to consider this, or is it something that can realistically be done, because I really like the idea of getting a new and different color rocker arm? I also know that the id is not the best reviewed Ellsworth frames around, so trying some new things could be fun and exciting. (I mostly high speed x-country ride, if that helps at all). Name:  ellsworth id.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  29.7 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My initial thought is to wonder how that would affect the head tube. I'd think that would put your head tube at a very steep angle.

It would probably also jack your bottom bracket up a bit as well.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "bring the riding angle up in the back a bit".

Are you meaning that you feel too tall for the frame and want to increase the standover height of the top tube, or do you actually mean you want increase the steepness of the seat tube?

Either way, without taking the time to model the frame and play with in software format, I'm thinking that what it sounds like you're thinking isn't a great plan. Stick with the frame as is and get a telescopic or dropper seatpost..

Or give it a go and let us know how it turns out!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for the input Chris. I will build the bike as is to begin, then experiment with another rocker arm. I'm a physicist and we do love our experiments lol.

To better describe my aim, it's a difficult thing to describe: I like a high stand over, but I also appreciate the higher, leaning forward style of riding, the sort that puts a bit more pressure on the fork than the rear shock, without out increasing the distance from the seat to the pedals. In the end, it may turn out to be a poor result, but hey, changing things and experimenting is what's fun.

Further to the point, will other rocker arms be compatible? I want to make sure the length of the sex bolts and everything are the same for both bikes (concerning the dimensions of different frames that the rocker arms are designed for).

Got Rogued!
    To Rennik: I absolutely love and know what you're trying to do. I've already done some extensive testing of a Moment front triangle with a Rogue rear end, and a Rogue front triangle with a Moment rear end. The result was impressive! Got a short Moment with big travel: The 15" frame was perfect for going downhill... The other way was impressive too: a short travel Rogue with a 5" fork... Epiphany looks with a much beefier front triangle...

Really Nice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails id question-img_1341.jpg  

id question-img_1327.jpg  

Last edited by raceimp; 11-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Ellsworth Moment / Ellsworth Rogue / Rocky Mountain Vertex / KHS SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    sweet! Good to hear others are out there trying to do the same thing. I have a question for you: where did you get the other rear end like the rocker arm? On the Ellsworth site, I the advertise the rocker arm with a picture on a parts line, and when you click on it, there's none there. Any ideas on where to pick one up?

Got Rogued!
    I had both bikes... Yes, I know... I had a lot of time to waste... But now I know!
    As far as I know, you can check eBay & Pinkbike.com for parts...
    Ellsworth Moment / Ellsworth Rogue / Rocky Mountain Vertex / KHS SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good to know about pinkbike, I've been watching ebay like a hawk. Fingers crossed for finding the rear end of a Method!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are a few ways to do this, one would be to use a shorter fork, like say a 3" travel XC fork, or get a longer rear shock, like say 1/2 to 1" longer eye-to-eye. Be sure to post the pictures for all to see.

(yes, this is an incredibly bad idea, but the pictures along will be worth it)
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Leave swapping rockers as a last resort!!! tune using different shock, fork,even wheel size, adjustable head set, tire size.........