mtbr member

Id OEM shock replacement advice sought

I recently picked up a used 03 Id and built it up. Since I tend to be on the XC side of the all mountain realm I'm looking to replace the OEM Romic double (8"x2.25") with a lighter weight shock.
    Any advice, pro or con, on good used shocks and shock sizes (i.e. how close do I need to stay to the 8"x2.25" dimensions) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The actual dimensions

Are 7 7/8 by 2.25, although you can use 7 1/2 by 2.0 and get the geometry of the Cali edition ID. That being said, I replaced the Romic with a Fox RP3 which has been flawless for three years. Dont expect a giant difference in performance because The Romic is an excellent shock. Have you considered having the Romic rebuilt? Romic will rebuild it and custom tune it to your weight/riding style for less than $50. That is basically what Push does with Fox shocks. Jim

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    I recently picked up a used 03 Id and built it up. Since I tend to be on the XC side of the all mountain realm I'm looking to replace the OEM Romic double (8"x2.25") with a lighter weight shock.
    Any advice, pro or con, on good used shocks and shock sizes (i.e. how close do I need to stay to the 8"x2.25" dimensions) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    I'm still with the original Romic Dual with a 500# overspring...it's a great shock, needs little maintenance, and gives you the ability to dial in the rebound and preload.

There used to be an Ellsworth chart showing the three shock size options recommended for the Id. If memory serves, the 7.825x2.25 gives you 6" rear travel, the 7.825x2.0=5", and the 7.5x1.75=4"

I'll scan my hardcopy if I can find it

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, appreciate the info and will use it accordingly.
    My thought is that by finding a lighter cheap/used shock it might have some XC applications and also provide a backup when I send the Romic in.
    I'm not familiar with the intent of the Cali Edition Id. Was it created for a specific riding style or terrain?
    This is my first dual suspension bike so I've had fun experimenting with shock settings. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I assume I'll know it when I feel it. So far so good.
    Thanks Again

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you buy used shock make sure that you can use your Romic redusers,they fit Fox but not Manitou.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    Thanks guys, appreciate the info and will use it accordingly.
    My thought is that by finding a lighter cheap/used shock it might have some XC applications and also provide a backup when I send the Romic in.
    I'm not familiar with the intent of the Cali Edition Id. Was it created for a specific riding style or terrain?
    This is my first dual suspension bike so I've had fun experimenting with shock settings. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I assume I'll know it when I feel it. So far so good.
    Thanks Again
    I understand that the Cali has a lower bottom bracket/standover because of the reduced travel...

...Yep, the most important adjustment on the Romic is to set the correct preload...so that the sag is set at about a half inch when you sit on the bike...same as the fork. The rebound will be determined by the terrain, but should balance with your fork setting as well

lots of info when you google sag, preload, etc.

Ologist
    I went from a Fox Air (not rp23/rp3) to a cali spec'ed Romic and I have been really happy the last two years. If something were to happen to the shock I would consider an RP23 but right I think the Romic is a great match.