Slow and Old

ID Disc Brake Issue...

I am the original owner of a 2002 Ellsworth ID. I am now installing Shimano XT disc brakes (I had Avid "V" brakes before) and have run into an issue with the rear seat/brake stay and interference with the brake adaptor. The top of the Shimano brake adaptor hits the weld at the junction of the stay and the bikes disc brake adaptor and reinforcement.
    (I vaguely remember others with this issue) What to do? Grind off part of the Shimano adapter? Will the adaptor then still be stong enough? Or I understand Ellsworth makes a disc brake specific stay for this bike. Will this solve the problem? Thanks for your reply.

Tim

mtbr member
    Not that this helps directly with your issue, but whatever you do, make sure that you face the disc brake mounts. Otherwise, things will not sit right. Peace, Mike

Rolling
    IF you only have to grind a little, you will probably be fine since I'm sure there is plenty of safety factor in the size of the adaptor. This is especially true if it's the end where the bolt threads in.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy S
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Ellsworth ID. I am now installing Shimano XT disc brakes (I had Avid "V" brakes before) and have run into an issue with the rear seat/brake stay and interference with the brake adaptor. The top of the Shimano brake adaptor hits the weld at the junction of the stay and the bikes disc brake adaptor and reinforcement.
    (I vaguely remember others with this issue) What to do? Grind off part of the Shimano adapter? Will the adaptor then still be stong enough? Or I understand Ellsworth makes a disc brake specific stay for this bike. Will this solve the problem? Thanks for your reply.

Tim