mtbr member
    Jan 2007

ID for all around bike? TRADE?

I have a 2004 ID loaded that I am wanting to either ride, or trade for a Truth. If not a Truth, then something with less suspension than the ID. Would or do any of you use the ID for an all aroung bike? I need the ONE FS bike I use for all occasions since space is an issue. I really only ride on moderate to mild stuff, so I think a 3-4 inch bike would be better. If anybody wants to trade for a minty ID, email me at adastraptg@yahoo.com. I have many pics.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    The Id is a fantastic bike. I had one for a year or two and sold it to buy a moment because I wanted something a little more stout. I also used the Id for everything from trail riding and mild freeride to XC racing and road commuting, it never felt like too much bike and very rarely wasn't enough.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a commentary about the Truth or any other bike. I just want to say that I can't say enough good about the Id. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Off season? What off season?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the reply. That is exactly the kind of info I need to hear. I have no other Ellsworth bike riding experience to compare to the ID.

The Ancient One
    I have a 2004 Id and a 2001 Truth.

I never ride the Truth anymore. For pure dirt road riding the Truth might be better, because it is a little lighter. But for any kind of real trail or mountain riding I'll take the Id.
    "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

sock puppet

since i got my Id

last year, i use truth only for endurance racing... Id is so much more fun bike to ride around... Truth is faster for racing - that is about it...

Keep your Id, you are not missing anything...

Quote Originally Posted by otisisadog
    I have a 2004 ID loaded that I am wanting to either ride, or trade for a Truth. If not a Truth, then something with less suspension than the ID. Would or do any of you use the ID for an all aroung bike? I need the ONE FS bike I use for all occasions since space is an issue. I really only ride on moderate to mild stuff, so I think a 3-4 inch bike would be better. If anybody wants to trade for a minty ID, email me at adastraptg@yahoo.com. I have many pics.

Ologist
    Yeah, the Id is timeless. I sold my Truth & kept the 2003 ID. You can do so much with it. Mod it to float like a feather or build it to take on some beefy trails. I have a couple of different rear shocks that I swap around depending on what I am going to ride. Even on some of the craziest mountain trails in AK I have never had a need for anything beefier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I get the point guys... I understand as well! Everytime i look at my ID, it begs me not to get rid of it! Here is a pic for good measure...
    Attached Images Attached Images

weekend worrier
    I can't understand wanting less travel than the Id. The Truth is only a 1/2 pound lighter than the Id, so you're really not gaining much and losing quite a bit of versatility. If anything, I'd want more travel. I have a 2004 Id and the only complaint I have is the poor rear tire clearance for anything larger than a 2.2 tire. Other than that, it's a fantastic bike.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by otisisadog
    I get the point guys... I understand as well! Everytime i look at my ID, it begs me not to get rid of it! Here is a pic for good measure...
    Dude...are those...toeclips? We gotta talk...

sock puppet

arghhh... lose them... lose them NOW...

it's like putting steel rims on mercedes...

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Dude...are those...toeclips? We gotta talk...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't do clipless tapdancing girl shoes! Actually, I started to ride mountain in the early 80's and never made the jump to the new. I usually just put on a set of old XT platform pedals and go. It's the way I roll...

mtbr member
    Otis,

What type of shock are you running on the rear? Also what size? I like the way it sits, and like you, I don't all the big hit drops. Thanks.