Thread: Id abuse?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Id abuse?

I was hoping I could get some advice from Id or former Id riders in here.

I bought a used Serial number 03 Id a while back and have started riding on some pretty rugged eastcoast rocky terrain. I really like the bike hand have it set up with a Manitou Nixon Platinum with 5.75" travel front/back with stock Fox Float R in the back.

My question is, considering I'm not covered with warranty, how much abuse should I subject this bike to. I am easy on equipment and weigh 172 lbs with gear. I have been hitting 2-3 feet drops and no cracks have developed in anything yet. Am I pressing my luck or is all the commentary a bit overblown with frame breakage?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The Ancient One
    I've ridden for three seasons now on an '04 Id I bought new. I'd say I probably ride with about the same aggresiveness you describe and I weigh 185.

So far, so good.
    "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Rolling
    Are you serious in it being the third Id built or the serial number contains the year 03?

Because the first few Ids had serious problems with the rockers breaking along with the seat tube and the chainstay being weak.

But Model year 03 should be good except for the chainstay problem Check for cracks on the drive side near the main pivot regularity. You can buy a new one if it breaks.
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-21-2007 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I meant that the serial number begins with "03" which means that it's a 2003.
    Thanks for the insight. I really like the bike so I suppose I'd spend another 3-400 bucks if I needed to replace the chainstay.

Custom User Title
    I had an '01 ID and rode it pretty hard. The chainstay lasted 1.5 years and the frame lasted 1.75 years. I then went to a Moment and had 2.5 years of happiness then the chainstay went. Now it's a wait and see.

I am 215 with gear. I'm a pretty smooth rider but things happen. I do remember that i heard a weird squeeky sound comming from the frame, of my ID, just before the seat tube separated. I more than likely over-rode the bike. It was a really nice frame but my riding just started getting better and more aggressive. I guess I owe that to the ID.

I would just say stay off of the drops to flat of any size, well maybe over two feet.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm probably 170 now w/gear and have been riding an '05 in Utah for the past three years. Moab has it's share of 2-3' to "flat" on every trail. You just can't help it, it's XC in Moab, and its fun. The bike has been great for the past 5000 miles. I recently put on the new style CS, but the old one was still going strong.

home slice chili sauce
    May 2005
    I had an '05 ID that I rode aggressively on rocky trails and through big boulder fields. Many jumps, usually no higher than three feet though. I had several minor crashes and boulder side swipes. Also many rock strikes on underside of BB and down tube that chipped the paint, but no dents or cracks. At the time I weighed about 165lbs with gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well if you break a part of it , you can just order a new one and pay for the part . I am guessing that you can also opt to trade it in if you break it for 600 bucks credit to a new frame ( i think they had this program for old ells a few years back , to retire the breakage prone models ) .