Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to remove Epi rocker main pivot bolt?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  phatfreeheeler 
#1 ·
Is there some secret to removing the 8mm head bolt for the large pivot on the rocker of the Epiphany? Since my frame is a 2006 (purchase March of 2007) with the RockShox MC3.3 shock and the rocker has no serial number, I am going to take advantage of the replacement offer by Ellsworth for the new style rocker. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to get the bolt in question out. Do I need a bearing press?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Wick,

I could not find any technical information on the new website. I have taken the bike into Aaron at Beyond Bikes as recomended by Ellsworth. With further thinking, I probably just needed to make a 1" cylinder with a 0.65" hole to back the bearing and then use a hammer with an aluminum dowel from the other side to break the bolt loose from the bearing. I am out of town on business next week and figured it would be a good time to have my bike apart.

BTW, nice green Epiphany Wick. Mine is green also. Looks even better now that it is covered in dirt. I need to post a picture soon.

If you are ever in San Diego, go to the surf shop (there is only one) that is located in Old Town (major tourist area, centrally located) and look up at the ceiling. It is covered with vintage skateboards hanging vertically. Must be ~100 boards up there. I go in everytime I am there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.