mtbr member
    Apr 2010

How does the Ellsworth Evolve ride?

So, I have the opportunity to buy an Evolve 29er frame but I don't have the opportunity to test ride it. Those of you who have them, what do you think? Would you say cross country firm or softer like a trail bike? I know the frame is of great quality, but I wouldn't be able to ride it till after I put down my Ben Franklins. Any help you could provide in describing the ride would be appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

One Word....AWESOME!!!!!!!

I'll bite…

I have a 2011 Evolve and I must say that this bike is unbelievable!!!!!

It absolutely flies on the trail and handles incredibly…I've never smiled so much in my life! To answer your question about ride…it can be either. Personally for me…I have it setup as a trail-bike but I'm prepared to race it this year and maybe just maybe I'll tweak the suspension with an air pressure adjustment but probably not. If Ellsworth did one thing right its the suspension. The suspension is so dead on that you don't even need pro-pedal. Just take the time to dial it in with the proper sag and you'll won't believe the ride. A lot of the ride characteristics can be influenced by how you set the bike up. I have mine setup very neutral as far as rider position and I can absolutely make this bike do what it is I want it to do.

You'll probably hear people mention the longish chain-stays when compared to other manufactures or the steepness of the head tube angle I would tell you it has no impact on ride quality or the ability to maneuver the bike through the woods. The bike is super fun, super responsive and SUPER Fast! I don't think you would be disappointed with the Evolve but buying blind is tough.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

A Few Pics...

Quote Originally Posted by vetprowanab
    So, I have the opportunity to buy an Evolve 29er frame but I don't have the opportunity to test ride it. Those of you who have them, what do you think? Would you say cross country firm or softer like a trail bike? I know the frame is of great quality, but I wouldn't be able to ride it till after I put down my Ben Franklins. Any help you could provide in describing the ride would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Here are a few pics.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How does the Ellsworth Evolve ride?-img_2481.jpg  

How does the Ellsworth Evolve ride?-img_2483.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In Jan bought a small 2010 for my wife, same color (rainforest green) the paint is beautiful pictures don't due it justice, much better in person. She just loves it coming from a 26er. She says it just goes over things and is comfortable for her. She has a Reba RLT 100mm on front. She has a 28" inseam and this is the lowest stand over height 29er I could find.

11 is one louder than 10
    I had one.

Rides very well, nice stiff front end. Handled well with one exception. The rear end flexed all over like a noodle. In my opinion that rear end is way too flexy. I'd like to see the bike potentially add .5 lbs to stiffen up the rear.

I could take my rear wheel and bounce it off of the "seatstays". It was a well built wheel, dave at speeddreams built it - Chris king hub, 10mm DT swiss QR, stans flow rim.

Tried another rear wheel in it - salsa rim, fun bolts. 14/15 spokes - same problem.

It's a great front triangle, it looks fantastic, the ICT rides great. Just beware that the rear end might be flexy depending on what you like. YMMV.

I'm 195lbs for reference and I like the rear end of a bike to stick.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

True...but Predictable

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    I had one.

Rides very well, nice stiff front end. Handled well with one exception. The rear end flexed all over like a noodle. In my opinion that rear end is way too flexy. I'd like to see the bike potentially add .5 lbs to stiffen up the rear.

I could take my rear wheel and bounce it off of the "seatstays". It was a well built wheel, dave at speeddreams built it - Chris king hub, 10mm DT swiss QR, stans flow rim.

Tried another rear wheel in it - salsa rim, fun bolts. 14/15 spokes - same problem.

It's a great front triangle, it looks fantastic, the ICT rides great. Just beware that the rear end might be flexy depending on what you like. YMMV.

I'm 195lbs for reference and I like the rear end of a bike to stick.
    GG:

I'd agree that the rear end is somewhat "loose" but I would say that tracking is predictable while on the trail. I've not experienced the amount of rear wheel movement you mention but the Evolve could benefit from a Maxle setup like Niner. I believe that would tighten things up nicely. My 26 is a Titus Moto-Lite and there is no bike with a stiffer rear triangle than the ML. My wheel setup is I9 Enduro Hubs laced to Stans Flow Rims so I know its not a wheel issue either on my Evolve. All that aside....the bike literally flies on the trails.

I'm right with you as far as weight...I'm 200 + gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been really enjoying my new Evolve since Jan this year....Took me a while to set up my riding possition as this bike is tall upfront and has an amazing slopping downtube which really helps on-off's when the trail gets steep.....Yeah the rear end flexes a bit, but coming from other "flexy" rears as the original niner rip9....I'm used to it, and I weigh in at about 175 lbs w/ gear so that helps....

The new evolve I would say is an awesome XC weapon, the sharp angles really help climbing tech stuff really well, I doubt you can find a better uphill specific geometry that the evolve, plus just sit and spin, and let the ICT take care of the trails....No pro pedal BS needed on this cruise missile, also the long rear end, at first, I was dissapointed cause its really difficult to raise the front over stuff, but you learn to just let the bike roll over stuff, and its benefits are in great stability at speed, and the front wheel really glues its way on the ground when it gets steep....

Nice weight for a dual-susp 29er!!!!!

Hope this helps....