mtbr member
    Jun 2007

How does a Dare ride?

I'm looking at getting a '10 Dare for my first real DH bike and I'm wondering what it rides like? More DH race sled or more jumpy, park bike? I'm not planning on any racing, just lift service and local DH trails. I'm stoked that the large is so long (I'm 6'5") so that should help keep my knees off of the crown while pedaling.

And how is the ICT suspension? Not the latest compared with all the crazy designs out there but that doesn't mean it should be changed either...

Anyways, I don't have the chance to ride before I buy so any thoughts would be appreciated.

RIDE!
    Scott

mtbr member
    Great question.

edit.

Just realized this is not posted in the DH/FR forum.

That new Rocker looks pretty slick.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

I wanna ride.
    I'm gonna bring this back to the top. I just purchased a used 2010 Dare, in the Breast cancer pink, and am starting to build it up. I have 08 Marz 888's, a race face diabolus crankset, CK headset, Race Face stem and bars. I plan on going 1x10, with a new SRAM set up, already have the shorty derailleur, oh, and a set of Hope mono ti 6's. Who out there is riding this frame, and who wants to chime in on this bike. Only those who have constructive facts need to add their 2 cents!! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I owned 2 Dares; a 2000 and a 2001. The bike pedals very well, but I found the rear end (at the time) was "either or". That is, it could absorb the small stuff but bottom, or vice versa. Granted, shocks at the time were not as good as today's. I would STRONGLY suggest doing your homework on a shock. I would recommend the Cane Creek DB, since it has low and high speed compression and rebound.

But it pedals very well, perhaps the best I have tried, and its braking is excellent (no feedback). I am not sure how it is now with the slacker seat tube, but obviously you cannot run a full length post.

I wanna ride.
    Hey Blackfly, good to hear your take on the bike. I've read many of the old posts on here, in particular yours, and definitely took these into consideration prior to my purchase. I have an 11 moment with the CCDB, and really like it. The dare I purchased has the Fox DHX 5.0, and being as it is a resort and shuttle bike 90%, I will stick with this for now. I do want to get back out to Van, and ride the shore, as I haven't had the chance to for a decade now, so I'll find out how it pedals as I make my way up fromme! I have a gravity dropper coming for it, as the interrupted seat tube would require quite a cut to my post. I'm also going to hit Whistler this summer, again, for the first time in a decade, so I'm quite looking forward to the summer. Last time was on an RM-7, complete with Monster T's, so it was a brutal pedal up fromme. You still riding? I'm a transplanted BC boy, living in Alberta now, so I try to make it out home way as much as I can. Anyways, thanks for your insite, Blackfly! Cheers, Mike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am born and raised Lynn Valley boy. I ride Fromme routinely.

The Dare will have NO trouble pedalling up, provided the gearing is short. I would strongly recommend using a CCDB on the Dare since the adjustments are (will be) able to work.

I have heard that Avalance makes a good shock, too.

I wanna ride.
    Thanks again for your input, bf, very much appreciated. Cane Creek does make one, so it will be on my upgrade list! Right now, budget says ride as is!! But, I plan on keeping this dare for several years, so definitely an upgrade to be done iin the future.
    Right now, I have to take it in to a machine shop, and custom build a bracket for my Hopes, as they no longer make the appropriate bracket for a post mount 888. There goes more $!! But I'm building as I've planned for several years, and hope it will be what I want! If I get out that way, I'll drop you a line for some recommendations, sir! Thanks again for your advice, and chiming in. Muchly appreciated! Cheers, Mike.