mtbr member

Help with a possible purchase of a used Truth

IMG_0532
    Okay First I need to try and figure out what year this Ellsworth Truth is. I would think 2003 2004. Second I was wondering if I should worry about the integrity of the rear end because I have heard a lot about cracks. I talked the guy at my LBS down to 1000.00. I think this is a good price. Also would you guys upgrade to a Fox air shock in the rear or rock it how it is? All comments would be great. BTW the Fox front fork is supposed to unscrew at the top left blue part to refill air correct? It does not and the owner said if it was broken when he tunes it up before I buy it that he will send it out to fox to get a new one or have that one repaired. I am not looking for the latest greatest but a decent FS bike for Miami trails. One last note is what do you guys know if anything about buying a USED Ellsworth and having the frame being covered? BTW the LBS is a Ellsworth authorized dealer. Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Also has all Shimano XT components, tubeless rims and tires, hydraulic brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Those Forks are Van's so coil, the blue knob is just preload. If the LBS is a Ellsworth dealer they really should be able to answer all these questions. For general trail riding it will be fine. Someone here bought an older second hand Truth recently when the stays cracked, Ellsworth sent new aysemetric stays straight out for free.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sweet! thanks at least I dont have to worry about that! Any idea what year the bike is and is 1k too much to spend on it?

mtbr member
    Also they are going to be giving the bike a full tune up should I go ahead and get all the bearings changed?

~~~
    The Truth is more than just a "decent" FS bike, IMO. I think $1K is a very good price, especially if the frame is in good condition. Any blemishes, scratches, scuffs, or dents? Seems odd that the owner or the LBS did not know the Fox fork is not an air spring fork. Tune-up included is a plus. Shop being an authorized dealer and being familiar with this particular bike is a plus. All XT, coil shocks, sounds like a solid reliable build.

No need to change the shocks, but make sure the springs are right for your weight. When they tune up the bike, they can inspect the bearings. Should be a relatively inexpensive maintenance item.

As for model year, you can call Ells with the serial number, or ask your LBS to put in a call. I would think they could tell you when the frame was built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

used truth

I bought a used Truth on e-Bay. I asked myself many of the same questions.

Year- if the spacing bet. attachment points for the rear shock are ~7.5 inches when bike is at rest, it's no older than 2003; before that year they had a shorter stroke.

Check the BB and CS. They're stamped w/ and # and begin with two digits. This will get you in the ballpark, but on phone E told me it's not 100% certain to prove what year

Based on a very annoying, but finaly solved ghost shifting problem, you should ask LBS to inspect the pivot bearings and replace if worn. I went to LBS (not E dealer but reat shop), he sent it to E CS, and they just did this for me last month and it now shifts goodf as new. Even though I'm 2nd owner they did not charge me. Wish I had thought've of that 2 years and 1200 miles ago.

$1K sounds like a steal. Can you contact original owner to find out weight, riding style, care, etc?

MTB SOCAL
    Your picture of the bike is a little blurry, but the headtube badge looks like the newer Ells badge. I think they changed to the newer badge in 03 or 04. The older graphics also looked a little different. I would lean toward it being an 04. Make sure it has not major dents or cracks. Otherwise, it sounds like a great deal!
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    That looks like a sweet deal. What size... if it is a xl or l it may have a slightly greater chance to have a crack than if it was a m or small... but no matter, just have the entire rear end a good look over. Inspect the entire rear triangle for cracks, you should see them if they are there. Also, bounce on the bike to activate the rear... is there any creaks? or odd sounds? If not it is probably crack free. The bearings all depend on how much the bike has been ridden. you can sometimes tell that by small pits in the underside of the frame from rocks hitting. Also, look for chainslap on the chainstays... The bike may actually have little miles. Inspect it all over. If the bike has been ridden lots it may be a good idea to get new bearings. Get the shop to do it if the cost is reasonable. I have done a couple truths and it is not completely trivial... I needed to make a couple push and bearing insertion tools with a lathe and some old aluminum stock. You use green locktite between the bearings and the frame. And you want to order the bearing upgrade from enduro seals... find em on line. Chris is awesome there.

The coil spring is a great thing to have. Keep your eye on a used air shock if you want from ebay. They are WAY more maintenance and expensive to keep up over the years where the coil spring ones are bomber and you never have to touch them... but they are heavy. I am actually thinking about getting a coil spring for my Epiphany as a back up when I need to send the air shock back to fox on a yearly basis. And to take on trips away where shops are not around.

Also, check the drive train and chain for wear and the wheels for trueness and everythign else. 1K$ is a great price if everything else is still having some good use left in it. If you have to replace everything else anyway then that price is not a great deal since you are basically just getting a frame. somehow I get the inpression that the rest of the bike is in fine shape and I think you are getting a pretty sweet deal.

Also, by the way, have them look for cracks when they do the bearing job. That is the best time to do it.

good luck.
    and dont worry, Ellsworth will take care of you if you need other parts later... even if you have to buy say an entire swing arm someday... you will have a sweet ride for a pretty damn good price.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

mtbr member
    hum, since you are in the market... check out this puppy...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ELLSWORTH-TRUTH-...QQcmdZViewItem

pretty sweet too
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride