mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Help Me Bring the Truth Down

Yup - I love her but want to bring her weight down. She's now a portly 28.8 lbs. Any thoughts on what the top 3 key weight saving upgrades would be on a sub $500 budget? She currently specs out as follows:

2005/06 Medium Frame w/ 06 asymmetrical silver chainstay
    06 Reba SL fork
    Fox Float R
    Hayes El Camino brakes
    Mavic Crossland wheelset
    TruVativ Stylo Cranks
    06 Sram X9 derailleurs
    06 Sram X9 shifters
    Thomson X4 90mm 0 stem
    Kenda tires
    Cane Creek grips
    Kore Seatpost
    Answer ProTaperOS handlebars
    Crank Bros Candy C pedals
    FSA headset
    Salsa seatpost collar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dllq; 10-20-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Custom User Title
    Wheels
    cranks
    fork
    Team MOJO Wheels.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    seat
    pedals

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Go wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by dllq
    Yup - I love her but want to bring her weight down. She's now a portly 28.8 lbs. Any thoughts on what the top 3 key weight saving upgrades would be on a sub $500 budget? She currently specs out as follows:

2005/06 Medium Frame w/ 06 asymmetrical silver chainstay
    06 Reba SL fork
    Fox Float R
    Hayes El Camino brakes
    Mavic Crossland wheelset
    TruVativ Stylo Cranks
    06 Sram X9 derailleurs
    06 Sram X9 shifters
    Thomson X4 90mm 0 stem
    Kenda tires
    Cane Creek grips
    Kore Seatpost
    Answer ProTaperOS handlebars
    Crank Bros Candy C pedals
    FSA headset
    Salsa seatpost collar
    Get a Hope wheelset! Should be doable with $500. Otherwise, you are going to spend lots of dough quick for very little weight loss.

Jaybo

Rolling
    What terrain do you ride and what specific Kenda tires are those? You can shed a lot with light tires if your terrain is not too aggressive. Also, run 26x1.2 -1.5 tubes and let them stretch for cheap ultralight tubes.

Hutch Python 1.95 are fast and light and actually work quite well on all sorts of terrain. I was running them a couple of months ago on trails with loose rocks. Their big problem is if you catch a sidewall, "RIP"! They have thin sidewalls and not much of any edge knobs to keep a sharp rock off em. But those tires would save you well over a pound...

And like others said, getting a light wheelset can shed a lot.

Otherwise, Just ride and quit worrying about the weight. Your body weight can very a few pounds every day.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-21-2007 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Lidarman: 3/4 of the year I'm riding typical NorCal open space loose hardpack - then mucky stuff when the Winter rains saturate the hardpack (where I am, drainage is not that great after the rains). Riding style: flowing XC -- but occasional aggressive XC/trail. Good advice on the tubes. I'm runnin' Kenda Nevegals Stick E (1.95 rear) (2.10 front). I use Hutch Bulldogs on my Trance -- I haven't had good luck with them; I'll look into the Pythons.

Jaybo: Thanks for the advice on the Hope's. I'm pretty focussed on the wheelset as the quick fix primary upgrade. My Crosslands are fine; however, there's a weight weenie in me and they're not that great in that dept. I figure a 25-26 lbs rig would be a decent stop whining about the weight rig (especially since my starting point is a Truth frame). Lidarman's right -- I could accomplish this in my own body weight but that would involve discipline and getting in better shape.

Here are my three upgrades; however, I know I'm gonna be budget challenged:

1. Wheels: I'm thinking Crossmax SL's (I can get a prodeal for about $550); candidly, I don't know much about wheels -- any specific suggestions here would be really helpful, especially on how to get the most bang for the buck in this department.

2. Handlebars: going with carbon Monkeylites

3. Tires: switching to UST tubeless

Given the rest of my component mix, I'm not sure if there's any other low hanging fruit left to pick up some big weight wins without getting death by a thousand cuts in the budget department.

Thanks again for the advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wheels wheels wheels -- go Crossmax SL's -- but you'll blow your budget; next go with some Monkeylite's; next go tubeless with some Pythons -- you'll get at least 2-3 lbs off with this combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

What's up with the silver Truth chainstays?

Thanks Hiro981 -- it's all about the wheels.

Separate Question: -- I bought my Truth used and it has a silver asymetrical chainstay. I haven't seen many of these. All the asymetrical stays I see on the Truth are black. Anyone know if these silver stays are special order through Ellsworth or did they get produced for a specific year?

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chainstay matches colour of seatstay.

MTB Monkey
    Switching from Stick-E to DTC tires will make it feel like you lost 20lbs. Stick-E's hook up great, but it is like pulling an anchor through the dirt. At least try another tire in the back.

mtbr member
    you will feel the most difference in rotational weight...wheels, tires...
    '00 SC Superlight
    yeah, it's 8 spd...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Get the CrossMax SL's and a set of Tubeless Ready tires from Bontrager. That should save you 1.5 lbs easy

mtbr member

Wheels for you

Quote Originally Posted by dllq
    Riding style: flowing XC -- but occasional aggressive XC/trail.

Here are my three upgrades; however, I know I'm gonna be budget challenged:

1. Wheels: I'm thinking Crossmax SL's (I can get a prodeal for about $550); candidly, I don't know much about wheels -- any specific suggestions here would be really helpful, especially on how to get the most bang for the buck in this department.

2. Handlebars: going with carbon Monkeylites

3. Tires: switching to UST tubeless

Given the rest of my component mix, I'm not sure if there's any other low hanging fruit left to pick up some big weight wins without getting death by a thousand cuts in the budget department.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Hey dllq,

Great looking bike - you're going to love riding it!

I'm kind of with some of the other posters - stop sweating the few odd ounces and just ride. That said, I just swapped out a bash guard on my Epiphany (yes, running 2 x 9 and it rocks!) to save about 100g. So, I understand how you feel

Check out this wheelset offered by The Colorado Cyclist

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/WTBCJZZA

They make them right here in their factory and they make GREAT wheels - a set they did for me is still true two years later. This one above is lighter (or pretty close, please don't start a flame fest, you gram counters) than your Crossmax's but way cheaper.

Also, your other upgrades are good - they not only will save you some weight but are better for your riding, for various reason.

Finally, pay attention to your tires. There's weight savings to be had and it's rotational weight, which you notice. Find something tubeless with high volume and low rolling resistance and you'll feel faster.

Enjoy

E

mtbr member
    Get the crossmax sls. best upgrade you can get. I've got my truth at 26.5 mostly because of a crossmax ST and fox rlc set up.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll be the Crossmax dissenter then! Horrid wheels - did the TransAlp race last year and there was a big pile of broken Crossmax wheels at the end of each stage with people desparately searching for anyone with spare spokes! Get a wheelbuild with XTR/Hope/DT hubs, Stans ZTR rims, and DT Rev spokes, and go for some lightish tubeless tyres that fit your riding style (I ride with Geax TNT tyres which give you the option of running with tubes or tubeless and are a bit lighter than dedicated tubeless tyres, but am lucky enough to be sponsored by them so may not be the most objective tyre recommender ), that way you'll have a light wheelset that you can get repaired at pretty much any bike shop should a spoke break.

Other weight loss suggestions would be monkeylite bars with a Ritchey WCS stem and an Easton EC90 CT2 seatpost with Specialized Toupe saddle (or the Phenom when it comes out), but the wheelset definately gives you the best gram/$ upgrade.