mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Help with a 200410 Truth

Here’s the particulars: I broke the front triangle on my 2004 Truth. Much to Ellsworth’s credit they sold me a SST 2010 front triangle at a greatly reduced price even though the frame is 6 years old and I’m the second owner.

Here’s the problem. The bike is real sketchy especially the front end. It doesn’t handle technical trails very well especially when you hit a root or rock strewn turn. I called Tech support and they recommended dropping the fork pressure a bit because the SST frame is much stiffer. This helped a little but didn’t solve the problem. I’ve got about 250 miles on it and I’m starting to think the frame is a pure XC ride and just isn’t made for all mountain trail riding.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’d hate to give up on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what fork (how much travel) are you using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Reba Team fork

I've got the original Ellsworth tuned Fox shock for the rear and a Reba Team fork with 100mm travel.

Tool
    Tell us about your front tire setup..

It may be a good time to consider switching to tubless if you're running tubes. Whether tubed or tubeless, lower pressure in the front tire may be the ticket for you. Also consider a larger front tire.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Tires

I'm running UST Weirwolfs and usually set the pressure @ 30 psi. Got tierd of slip sliding around the local trails last night that I dropped the pressure down to 25 and didn't notice much difference.
    I'm swapping my stem for one that is 20 mm longer. If that doesn't do the trick I'll try a different tire but I've been using the Weirwolfs for 2+ years and swear by them.

Tool
    2.1 or 2.3? If 2.3, you might be able to go down to 23psi - that's what I run with my 2.35 Nevegals, and I know I could go lower w/o problems (these are standard tires, not UST, but I run them tubeless).

A stem swap isn't a bad idea if it's within your means.

Did they change the geo between your two frames? That could definitely cause you to have to experiment with your setup if they did.

Also, have you played with your fork's other settings? I don't know if it has both rebound and compression, but it's worth playing around if you haven't already. If the new frame is indeed stiffer (and presumably at least a touch lighter), it could be more sensitive to the fork's settings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First off it is an XC bike not an all mountain bike, it is aimed at xc racers.

However your not the only person using it as a light trail bike and as such it should be fine unless your trails are super tech.

All the advice above is good advice and will improve its handling but if you really want a trail bike and not a race bike, get an epiphany or if you are really looking for an all mountain bike get a moment.

What I am saying is the truth is a fantastic bike but you cant expect to do the same things on it you could on a bike with slacker geometry and ,more travel.
    If i was you I would start by taking a good look at the type of riding you are doing and want to do. Be honest with yourself. it will reap rewards to be on the right bike for the riding you do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm running with a 130mm Revelation on my truth which helps but as stated above the truth is a XC bike. If downhill chunk and air is your niche then a beefier bike is a must.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    First off it is an XC bike not an all mountain bike, it is aimed at xc racers.

Perhaps your right and maybe the 04 frame was closer to a Trail bike than the SST frame. Either way I wouldn't trade the Truth for anything else I've ridden.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Put a 120mm fork , you can buy them off ebay cheap . I put a F120 rl oem fork with a 15qr . Works wonderful . I ended up selling my moment afterwards since the Truth picks up faster and the extra 20mm is enough cush for my riding . I have gone thru 3 truths btw , so this is by far the best setup i have done on a truth

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What happened to the last 2 truths?

Tool
    I'm surprised you didn't notice more of a difference dropping 5 psi in your front tire. Are you running the 2.1 or 2.3 up front? If 2.3, you can likely drop the pressure a few pounds more.

It might be worth having your LBS check that the frame is true (despite the model name). You were apparently happy on an older Truth - I doubt the newer frame is so different that you can't set up your new frame to handle at least as well as the old frame.

Some other things to check:

-Have you played with the fork's settings? Assuming the new frame is stiffer, it may require different amounts of damping.
    -Have you checked the frame for lateral play? You probably would have noticed if any undue play was present, but I've seen people ride some really loose bikes without realizing it.
    -Have you checked your wheel bearings?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf_Guy
    What happened to the last 2 truths?
    I had an 2002 truth which I sold to a friend , it was a good bike . I had a 2004 truth before which had the weld give way near where the seat tube and top tube intersect , Ells replaced it under warranty added a bit $200 and they gave me a moment instead.

I am now using a SST1 , and I like it .

I think there is progression in the evolution of the truth . The chainstays now are bombproof unlike the hollow ones before ( pre 2005) . The top tube seat tube junction is now heavily gusseted with that triangular sliver of metal . As well as the main pivot area in the SST1 , The seat tube area right above the deraileur looks beefed up too . Usually they crack in between these points .

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Dialed in the fork

I read a bunch of posts and blogs about suspension tuning and started with the + = 60% and - = 60% - 10LBs of your body weight formula, stuck my shock pump in my camel back and headed to the local trails. I spent a couple hours riding the same loop and changing pressure in both chambers until the ole level of control was back. Turned out that I had to go up 10psi from the old settings rather than dropping as was recommended.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf_Guy
    I read a bunch of posts and blogs about suspension tuning and started with the + = 60% and - = 60% - 10LBs of your body weight formula, stuck my shock pump in my camel back and headed to the local trails. I spent a couple hours riding the same loop and changing pressure in both chambers until the ole level of control was back. Turned out that I had to go up 10psi from the old settings rather than dropping as was recommended.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your bike again. That's what it's all about.