mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Help! 2000 era Truth rocker arm cracked

Is there any way to find a replacement rocker arm for this? Old school 2001 (1999-2004, not sure) Ellsworth Truth. I snapped the bolt that attached through the rear shock. The stress of that caused a decent crack in the rocker arm. I don't want to retire this beast yet. She's still a weekly rider. Still goes hard. Been great for years.

Any help is appreciated. I can go to a machine shop if need be.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	780923

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ask Ellsworth ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would like to hear if you are able to find that part still available.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's a common problem for that kind of design. It uses a very long bolt, which allows for a lot of leverage. What most likely happened is the bolt bent, and it doesn't take a whole lot to do this, in fact, on pretty much every bike I've owned with a long bolt running through the rockers and shock, I've bent. Foes, Iron Horse, Azonic, etc. This is why other bikes, like modern specializeds, rocky mountain, turner, and others use "3d" linkages that taper towards the shock and use a very short bolt. I even caught a production-flaw on a different Iron Horse model that came to our shop. It was speced from the factory with a crazy two-piece bolt design that wouldn't hold up for more than a few miles without bending under normal loads. It was a factory mess-up and we had to get new/redesigned hardware, but this particular design feature is something I look at closely when deciding on a new bike. Realizing there are 500lb springs on these things and it takes 500lbs to compress one inch usually, theres a huge amount of force involved and it's a fairly critical junction. On the bikes that I was stuck with the long bolts, I'd always opt for the highest grade replacements, sometimes available at hardware stores.

Pretty sure those frames had a lifetime warranty though?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.