mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Handlebar for Epi

I was planning on getting an Easton Monkey Lite but it seems like it may not handle the punishment of a 5inch travel bike and the Easton warranty is not as sound as they state. Would RaceFace AirAlloy be a better consideration? Any other recommendations or experiences here? I'm hoping to control weight but not to the degree of compromising safety. Application is for a Med Epi for a 165# rider. Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run a monkey lite on my moment with no problems at all. Believe me you will be ok

Time is not a road.
    There are lots of companies making carbon bars out there these days. They'll all last a long time and are well suited to the kind of riding you'd do on an Epiphany.

If you want to be really anal, match the bars to the stem/seatpost - go FSA, Race Face or Truvative. Unless of course you're getting Thomson parts, which I'd recommend, then get the Easton.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cyber, Chad. Thanks for the input. I was planning on running Thomson seatpost and stem. With regard to the Easton, there are several Monkey lite bars, the EC90 SL (135g), The EC70 (150g) and the EC70 OS (160g). Can I assume the heavier bars are the more durable? Would you recommend the .75" rise for an Epi?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my experrience

I have one of the original Easton Monleylite CT2 bars on my Stinky (5 inch travel, front and rear). I am about 155 lbs and ride pretty punishing rocky trails but nit really any drops. These bars are now 5+ years old and going strong (though recently i have been considering replacing them due to ageing concerns).

My new Epi has an EA70 which is considerably heavier. The new bar has the oversize clamp style. I never would have thought that i could detect the difference between the performance of these bars but comparing them side by side (same length, same grips, same terrain, same fork) i'm finding that my hands are starting to ache in rough terrain. The only thing that i can think of that could account for this is vibration damping. I wish i could afford another carbon bar.

thumbies

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    JB,

This is what I'm running on my Epi..

http://www.answerproducts.com/items....d=2&itemid=133

They're 31.8mm, have a one inch rise, weigh 200 grams uncut and are about 25.5 inches in length.

Certainly seem to be a very stout bar. In addition, I like the fit of the one inch rise.

BTW...good call on the Epi!!!!

Joe
    Last edited by RACERX70; 11-01-2006 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The one I am running is the ec70 low rise. The carbon feels great and the hight is perfect with my setup.