Crumb-tumbler

Going to buy a Joker

Howdy,

I'm planning on buying a Joker set up for DH from my best friend, but I have a question. My DH bike has a Romic D with something like a 1.5" stroke, while the Joker (if I remember correctly) has a 2.5" stroke. My friend has suggested that I could just swap out the shock (and fork, and wheels) and end up with less travel for different riding.

So, obviously, while I think this is a great idea I am wondering about the mechanics of this--will it actually work according to my grand scheme, or am I going to end up with snapped shock mounts? (or something equally Zen-destroying).

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

Time is not a road.
    The Joker has a shorter travel shock mount that's probably about 1.5", but you'd need to check with Ellsworth on the correct shock length for the 5" setting. Putting a short shock on there would lower the BB significantly, wouldn't it?

Crumb-tumbler
    Hmmm, I hadn't considered the effect on the bb height....makes me wonder what else I've forgotten in my rush...
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

BGR / MCM #311
    A 1.5" stroke shock connected to the longer travel mount would drop your bb and turn your front end into a chopper!! The lower, shorter travel mount might work, but you really need to contact Ellsworth to make sure the shock is compatable (as was stated earlier).
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

banned
    Feb 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm hey

i say ur one damn good friend

Crumb-tumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillboy
    i say ur one damn good friend
    Huh?

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Hope lool

Quote Originally Posted by mrwizard
    Huh?
    i think iv seen whats happend here
    i think he thought you said you were buying one 'for' your friend rather then 'from' lol

Now i would say that is one damn good friend if that were the case

ps. can you buy me one?
    Last edited by Krafty; 02-24-2005 at 12:56 PM.
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

Crumb-tumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafty
    ps. can you buy me one?
    Weeeeell, I only have three left....but okay, I guess you can have one...

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... Oh really do you meen it? ooh im all flustered now!

Weeeeell, I only have three left....but okay, I guess you can have one...
    Lol if there wasnt a such thing as sarcasm, id be jumping for joy!!
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

mtbr member
    Howdy,

I'm planning on buying a Joker set up for DH from my best friend, but I have a question. My DH bike has a Romic D with something like a 1.5" stroke, while the Joker (if I remember correctly) has a 2.5" stroke. My friend has suggested that I could just swap out the shock (and fork, and wheels) and end up with less travel for different riding.

So, obviously, while I think this is a great idea I am wondering about the mechanics of this--will it actually work according to my grand scheme, or am I going to end up with snapped shock mounts? (or something equally Zen-destroying).

Thanks!
    I got a sweet joker for you 1800 takes it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crumb-tumbler
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueJoker
    I got a sweet joker for you 1800 takes it
    Thanks, but $800 gets me my friend's '04, black, and I prefer the Romic anyway

BGR / MCM #311
    I prefer the Romic anyway
    Amen bruddah!! Why buy a Fox and then send it to PUSH to get it to ride like a Romic when you can just buy a Romic in the first place (although...the new Fox 5 is a sweet looking piece of machinery)?? *heh*...Romic's been great to me! My 99 Joker came with an RCR (the company that later became romic)...Romic rebuilt it every year and then set me up with a sweet replacement price for the shock pictured below, about 5 months ago. Also, you can see in this pic, one of the reasons I haven't had rocker arm problems with my Joke..like others have...the first generation rocker arm...no bends or angles in the section that sits in front of the seat tube...it's just one big thick tube that the stays are welded to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath