Thread: Glimpse?

mtbr member

Glimpse?

Hey all,
    New guy here looking to get into FS and wondering about the Glimpse...

I did a search and found a couple of older posts, I was just wondering if anyone had any recent experience...

I'm especially curious how it stacks up agaisnt the the Ibis Mojo SL SLX build as they look to compete against each other...

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    92 views and no reply? Does no one have this bike yet???

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Maybe they didn't get off the boat yet. Mountain bike action tests one in the current issue. They make sure to point out the frame is made in taiwan. Tony kind of skirts around that on his website though. Ha

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why bother with an Ellsworth that's made in Taiwan? There's a hundred other choices that are cheaper and actually have a dealer network should you need support (gianttrekspecializedjamisfelt)...IMHO the reason to get an Ells is to get the "real" US-made variety.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    Why bother with an Ellsworth that's made in Taiwan? There's a hundred other choices that are cheaper and actually have a dealer network should you need support (gianttrekspecializedjamisfelt)...IMHO the reason to get an Ells is to get the "real" US-made variety.

I would think the reason would be to get the ICT technology at an affordable price...

I'm really leaning towards a Mojo at this point after talking with my LBS who sells both, just seems like the Mojo was made for me...

But, if I can demo a Glimpse before November, I will for sure...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys
    I would think the reason would be to get the ICT technology at an affordable price...

I'm really leaning towards a Mojo at this point after talking with my LBS who sells both, just seems like the Mojo was made for me...

But, if I can demo a Glimpse before November, I will for sure...
    Was at the bookstore earlier looking through Mountain Bike Action. They review a Glimpse in there. Didn't really read it but it was one of the bikes covered. Maybe you can get a little info from that if you check it out. I think they said MSRP was around 3,299.00.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would think the reason would be to get the ICT technology at an affordable price......
    But it's not "ICT" technology, it's a taiwanese catalog-bike made by a manufacturer that sells to other bike companies. Tony may be saying that it's ICT, and it is a horst link, but it's not designed by him, it doesn't have any of the properties that might differentiate ICT from anything else. It's simply a bike that you order from taiwan and they put your name and graphics on it. They also sell the same bike/frame elswhere in the world under other names.
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    But it's not "ICT" technology, it's a taiwanese catalog-bike made by a manufacturer that sells to other bike companies. Tony may be saying that it's ICT, and it is a horst link, but it's not designed by him, it doesn't have any of the properties that might differentiate ICT from anything else. It's simply a bike that you order from taiwan and they put your name and graphics on it. They also sell the same bike/frame elswhere in the world under other names.
    This comment is rather subjective with no supporting evidence, and I'd suggest incorrect.

More likely is what's been presented in the Ellsworth product specifications, that the Glimpse is based on the Epiphany geometry including the patented ICT suspension platform at a more affordable price due to materials and manufacturing processes in Asia. It may well be the case that its made from a taiwanese multi-company manufacturer but it still needs to meet client specifications rather than being a generic design with Ellsworth stickers.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    This comment is rather subjective with no supporting evidence, and I'd suggest incorrect.

More likely is what's been presented in the Ellsworth product specifications, that the Glimpse is based on the Epiphany geometry including the patented ICT suspension platform at a more affordable price due to materials and manufacturing processes in Asia. It may well be the case that its made from a taiwanese multi-company manufacturer but it still needs to meet client specifications rather than being a generic design with Ellsworth stickers.
    Heh...not even close. If you really know what ICT is, the rear axle and pivot differences between both of them give it away, but you can also search and find the catalog bike, and yes, it was for sale before ellsworth decided to "sell" it.

Note how the pivot is below and well in front of the axle on the glimpse? Now look at all the other "ICT" bikes, the pivot is very close to and in line with the axle. This is what tony ellsworth tried to sue turner for, even though turner developed it at the same time/first, as it's just a variation of the horst link. The rear axle/pivot arrangement is what makes it an ICT bike, whereas the glimpse is just a relatively standard horst-link arrangement that is used by many manufacturers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

LBS Manager
    According to MBA the rockers on the glimpse are machined in the USA and the tube set is an an American tube set.

'While the glimpse is welded offshore, the tube set is all American. Ellsworth uses proprietary, drawn seamless tubing that is swagged, shaped and tapered. Gussets are added at the down tube / head tube junction at the top tube / seat tube junction and on the seat tube where the suspension rocker links pivots. The rocker links are machined in the U.S.A. and the chain stays are asymmetrical."

That is word for word from the test in the mag, take it for what you want but they usually don't lie about where stuff is made. If that is true then its unlikely that they picked it from a catalog. You don't get proprietary tubing and your own USA made rockers on a prefab frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Heh...not even close. If you really know what ICT is, the rear axle and pivot differences between both of them give it away, but you can also search and find the catalog bike, and yes, it was for sale before ellsworth decided to "sell" it.

Note how the pivot is below and well in front of the axle on the glimpse? Now look at all the other "ICT" bikes, the pivot is very close to and in line with the axle. This is what tony ellsworth tried to sue turner for, even though turner developed it at the same time/first, as it's just a variation of the horst link. The rear axle/pivot arrangement is what makes it an ICT bike, whereas the glimpse is just a relatively standard horst-link arrangement that is used by many manufacturers.
    Well I'm no suspension expert but to my reckoning because it says ICT on the brochure then its an ICT bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    That is word for word from the test in the mag, take it for what you want but they usually don't lie about where stuff is made.
    While MBA doesn't exactly have a reputation for accuracy, it's not the MBA staff that are chronic liars. Tony Ellsworth on the other hand is a documented chronic liar. The guy that was called out for changing bike magazine articles and then posting them on his website, and then when called out he changed the articles and called US liars for calling him out. Sorry, I wouldn't trust him at all, but I have seen a picture of the exact same bike. I'd bet that the contract company that makes the frame uses an american aluminum supplier for ALL of their frames, allowing Tony to make the claim, even though there's nothing special about it. And "specially designed/swagged/tapered" tubes? Seriously? Taiwan is the master of working aluminum, of COURSE they're going to have some pretty fancy stuff. They are heavily into hydroforming and all sorts of other processes.

mtbr member
    I'd just like to hear from someone who's ridden one....

LBS Manager
    I'd just like to hear from someone who's ridden one....
    Im sorry I cant help you there. I have not ridden a Glimpse I have ridden both a Mojo and an Epiphany and the Epiphany was better in all areas if that helps at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    92 views and no reply? Does no one have this bike yet???

Check my 10/04/09 post and let me know if I can help more. All the usual inane speculation and ranting aside, the Glimpse is a "very" nice bike and does Ellsworth justice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppo
    Check my 10/04/09 post and let me know if I can help more. All the usual inane speculation and ranting aside, the Glimpse is a "very" nice bike and does Ellsworth justice.

I did read that, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    @ Jayem- You sir are a tool. Quit hating, HOw much actual time do you have on an Ellsworth. I bet its not that much. Stop spewing your rhetoric. Mr. I know because because my buddy told me so it must be true.

The glimpse is an awesome bike. All it is is a less expensive Epiphany. The tube set and rockers are USA made. Get the glimpse. I've rode the piss out of that bike. Its alot of fun and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. I've done 20 mile loops on it and railed it down some awesome aggressive lines (Anderson Truck trail). Yes Ellsworth does have some not so great history due to Tony running his mouth. But the bikes are awesome. I've been fortunate enough to ride everything that they currently produce. Everyone has something different that they want from a bike. Get on one to check it out, dont take my word for it, or any haters opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KEEPSDgreen

The glimpse is an awesome bike. All it is is a less expensive Epiphany. The tube set and rockers are USA made. Get the glimpse. I've rode the piss out of that bike. Its alot of fun and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. I've done 20 mile loops on it and railed it down some awesome aggressive lines (Anderson Truck trail). Yes Ellsworth does have some not so great history due to Tony running his mouth. But the bikes are awesome. I've been fortunate enough to ride everything that they currently produce. Everyone has something different that they want from a bike. Get on one to check it out, dont take my word for it, or any haters opinion.
    I'm hoping to get a demo the next time Ellsworth is at North of the Border...

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Im sorry I cant help you there. I have not ridden a Glimpse I have ridden both a Mojo and an Epiphany and the Epiphany was better in all areas if that helps at all.
    I have to disagree. I HAVE both bikes now. The Epiphany is a GREAT bike. The Mojo is better. The Mojo is lighter, and climbs a tad better. The bikes both go down the same, very nice. This is only my opinion but Iím selling the Epiphany and keeping the Mojo.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bet you Ellsworth fans find the name completely ironic (perhaps even ominous) that the bike is not made in the USA but in Taiwan. I wonder how long before the rest of them are the same way.

I wonder what the increase in profit margin was by doing this. Tony wins every way: can blame someone else for any screwup, there will be minimal manufacturing delays and his cost on the frame is cheaper than a domestic one. But I bet the price will not get a rest. And at the price point it will get more buyers as that is what the market supports; stuff people can reach and afford. This bike is no accident.

It is funny in that I am looking to replace my Foes Fly (06) but Foes does not make the Fly anymore. I had 2 Dares, and looking back on it I am very fond of the Dare (at least the ones I had) but the new Ellsworths do not excite me, and I will not be getting a Foes. But the bike will be domestically made for sure. No cheap outs here. You cannot expect economic recovery by spending overseas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm hoping to get a demo the next time Ellsworth is at North of the Border...

Mike should be able to get you a demo from Ellsworth. Talk to hime to set it up. Dont wait on Ells. The bike is great. I got a chance to ride it. Alot of fun. It's a solid ride.