Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What? No likey de Lyrik?
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Leash Law Enforcer
    Nice!
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Time is not a road.
    The Lyrik is nice (it was Larry's). The 2-step was a bit tall for the Moment and the coil U-turn, which could be adjusted to the right height, was actually $5 more than the 66SL. The 66 also has better range of travel adjustment. I think it weighs a tad more, but just in my hands, it feels pretty light.

I like Marzocchi's stuff, so the 66 made sense to me and its A to C is perfect for the Moment.

Rolling
    Very nice fork.

VooDoo user.
    U lucky Bastid!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sweet fork, I'm sure it'll be a lot better than your old AM1. Ahi has been so happy since he dumped the AM1.

VooDoo user.
    Need a ride review!!!!!

I've been OOOGLING this fork for a while.

Time is not a road.
    I'm waiting on a brake caliper. Since Marzocchi changed to post mount and everyone is the free world has IS mount brakes and Hope doesn't make a 185mm adapter for post mounts, I have to do some fancy footwork around that.

There's some discussion going on around the Shocks boards about this fork.

VooDoo user.
    Need a review of how it rides on the MOMENT!!!

Thanks.

OH and pics too......

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm running a Hope Post to IS adapter on my '06 AM1 so they do make one.

http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_ADAPTMANAV.html

I have a Hayes 7" rotor with XTR hydros which are normally 6" IS. I did have to put two small washers between the adapter and the posts, just so it would fit on the fork, but it's been working great all season. I wish I could find a 5mm larger rotor cause that would fit better after using the 2mm washers..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I like Marzocchi's stuff, so the 66 made sense to me and its A to C is perfect for the Moment.
    Just curious, what is the A2C of your 66 (and at what travel)?

Mike

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidley Diddley
    Just curious, what is the A2C of your 66 (and at what travel)?

Mike
    525mm at 140mm of travel and 565mm at 180mm of travel. Heck, my AM 1 was 565mm at 150mm of travel! This fork is gonna feel great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    525mm at 140mm of travel and 565mm at 180mm of travel. Heck, my AM 1 was 565mm at 150mm of travel! This fork is gonna feel great!
    Thanks for the info! That looks like a serious contender for my Slider+ replacement project.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I'm running a Hope Post to IS adapter on my '06 AM1 so they do make one.

http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_ADAPTMANAV.html

I have a Hayes 7" rotor with XTR hydros which are normally 6" IS. I did have to put two small washers between the adapter and the posts, just so it would fit on the fork, but it's been working great all season. I wish I could find a 5mm larger rotor cause that would fit better after using the 2mm washers..
    I need a 180 adapter and I think Hope does not make one. Either way, I just ordered a mono4 caliper since the lever is the same for all brakes. Only like $70 for an upgraded brake. I might throw on some floating discs, too, for purely asthetic reasons, of course...

Time is not a road.
    some more detail. First ride tomorrow...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Time is not a road.

First ride impressions:

The fork is nice...smooth right out of the box. It rides high in it's travel like the Lyrik did. I like that...not prone to diving like the AM1 was.

The set up is easy enough...I went with the Marzocchi recommendations and adapted from there. What I read others doing on the Shock boards did not work for me. There really are a lot of different adjustments on this fork, but they're all practical. The fork damping is so good, that I did not feel compelled to add any compression damping.

At 110psi, the fork is responsive to small bumps and very controlled on big hits. It's stiff as all get out, just like the Lyrik. I can feel that added weight on the front, but this was to be expected. It didn't hinder my ride any, I just burned a few more calories!

Overall, it's excellent - the ATA allows me to dial it in for the bike perfectly. I settled at about 150mm of travel. I'll have to measure that to be sure.

Boy, once you go big, you can't go back - in almost all regards; tires, forks, brakes. I had to run a 160mm Hayes disc/brake up front in order to ride since my Hope caliper is on order (with the 180mm rotor). They barely slowed me down - they're more like "drags" than "brakes", it made me ride a little more cautiously than I usually do with the big rotors. The Hopes are significantly more powerful than the old Hayes brakes I have. The big stanchioned forks track so nicely and rarely deflect off line. Steering is precise and instantaneous.

The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, is that the crown does not clear the downtube. There's about a 2-3mm (maybe less) overlap. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet. I'd rather not add a taller race. We'll see...I plan on not crashing - ever.

Leash Law Enforcer
    The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, is that the crown does not clear the downtube. There's about a 2-3mm (maybe less) overlap. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet. I'd rather not add a taller race. We'll see...I plan on not crashing - ever.
    Chad,

Had the same problem with mine. The crown on the 66s is a beast! I only know of two solutions - 1. taller crown race as you have mentioned, 2. the FSA Pig headset (lower stack height is about 2mm taller than most other headsets including Kings). I know you got the cool pink headsets going on and all, but in IMHO a new headset or taller race would be well worth it to protect your downtube.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hi Chad, did you solve this yet or are you sticking to the no-crash plan? What size is your frame?

Another question: you mentioned earlier that a totem would be too tall, but is it not the same A2C at 565mm?

Mike

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidley Diddley
    Hi Chad, did you solve this yet or are you sticking to the no-crash plan? What size is your frame?

Another question: you mentioned earlier that a totem would be too tall, but is it not the same A2C at 565mm?

Mike
    565 works on the Moment, but it's not the best overall riding position. That height is best for DH. I have the 66 set around 150-160mm of travel so it's not at its peak height which makes the bike more balanced for trail riding.

As for the crown, I'm going to get the Ventana 4mm crown race and see if that works. I have a small frame so that complicates it for me. A med or large frame probably wouldn't have this issue.