mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Front derailer on new Epiphany dragging??

This is also posted in the Drivetrain forum but I figured I would also put it here also in case it is specific to Ellsworth. This will be very disturbing if this it "normal".. Thanks for your input!!

Brand new Ellsworth built up bike with XT front derailer and X.9 rear. When I shift into granny gear the chain drags vertically, not side to side, on the front derailer no matter what rear gear I am using. Bike shop tells me that is "normal" for a full suspension, I have a hard time believing that but this is the first F/S bike I have owned so I don't know for sure. I can't believe that the Ellsworth geometry is that unique that this issue cannot be resolved by doing some tweeking to the front derailer?? I have not tried adjusting it yet nor do I think I should be the one working on the 2 week old bike but I guess I will if I have to.
    Thanks for any input!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    which model of Ellsworth do you have?
    are you running with 3 rings or 2+ bashguard?
    Below are 2 links to threads that i participated in on Ellsworth forum, you will find several detailed posts outlining front der problems with the Epiphany.

Front derailleur problem for Epi...solved

Caution...warning to Epiphany owners

Basically, the answer is no, the front der should not rub while in granny. You will have to troubleshoot your setup to determine the cause. My best guess is that your der is mounted too low (which is very easy to do if you are using a bashguard instead of a big chainring. You should also check to see if your der contacts the chainstay under full compression (if you have an air shock, deflate it fully and compress the suspension)...

thumbies

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Good job!

Thanks a bunch for the reply thumbies, looks like this has been beat to death(and solved) thanks to you guys. You gave me the answer I wanted to hear "it should not rub" now to find a fix. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
    And yes I'm running 3 rings, I consider the 3rd ring my bash ring ...

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by co_biker
    This is also posted in the Drivetrain forum but I figured I would also put it here also in case it is specific to Ellsworth. This will be very disturbing if this it "normal".. Thanks for your input!!

Brand new Ellsworth built up bike with XT front derailer and X.9 rear. When I shift into granny gear the chain drags vertically, not side to side, on the front derailer no matter what rear gear I am using. Bike shop tells me that is "normal" for a full suspension, I have a hard time believing that but this is the first F/S bike I have owned so I don't know for sure. I can't believe that the Ellsworth geometry is that unique that this issue cannot be resolved by doing some tweeking to the front derailer?? I have not tried adjusting it yet nor do I think I should be the one working on the 2 week old bike but I guess I will if I have to.
    Thanks for any input!!
    same thing on my Id...replacing the XT with a Sram X Gen apparently works...will find out this spring

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

x gen vs Shimano...

Actually,
    those of us that have had problems (front der contacting chainstay) were all WITH X-gen derailleurs, switching to Shimano seemed to help. In my case the cage profile of the x-gen was so narrow that i could not avoid rubbing in some gear combinations. I switched to a Shimano der primarly because it has a wider cage and it is about half the weight.

thumb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

We the people ...

Ok, I've done some tweaking on the front derailer. I now have just 1mm of clearance between my front/d and the top chain ring (1/3) after that I measured the distance between the bottom of the cage and the top of the chain stay (while shifted into granny gear) and I have about 37mm. I still have the chain dragging but now it only drags when I have no pre-load on the rear shock, when I'm riding it it seems "ok" until of course the rear shock returns to "unloaded status"... Still it should not drag at all.. Having 37mm's of clearance appears to be my issue, since everyone else is reporting 29mm, but I see no way possible to solve this issue with my XT derailer unless I cut out the bottom portion of the cage and extend it to a longer opening?? Possibly everyone else is using a bash ring when I am using 3 chain rings??? (My big ring is a 44 tooth.) Do other models have a longer/larger cage, which would decrease the distance between the chain stay and increase the overall cage opening..
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    G, I'm using the same f-der and haven't had any "rubbing" on the borttom of my cage of the f-der. Your more then welcome to take a look and if push comes to shovve take mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by co_biker
    Having 37mm's of clearance appears to be my issue, since everyone else is reporting 29mm, but I see no way possible to solve this issue with my XT derailer unless I cut out the bottom portion of the cage and extend it to a longer opening?? Possibly everyone else is using a bash ring when I am using 3 chain rings??? (My big ring is a 44 tooth.) Do other models have a longer/larger cage, which would decrease the distance between the chain stay and increase the overall cage opening..
    Thanks!!
    Hey there, i am running a 3-ring setup with a 44-T big ring, RF Deus if it matters. If you have 37 mm clearance then the bottom of your front der is almost a cm higher than mine. No wonder there is rubbing when you are in the granny ring. Just to fully determine the location of the rubbing, you might want to assess the aubbing in different rear cogs. As the gearing gets harder/ cogs get smaller, your chain should get closer to the bottom of the front der cage. If this is, in fact, where you have the rubbing, it should be pronounced in the smaller rear cogs.

just a thought,
    Thumbies

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    Hey there, i am running a 3-ring setup with a 44-T big ring, RF Deus if it matters. If you have 37 mm clearance then the bottom of your front der is almost a cm higher than mine. No wonder there is rubbing when you are in the granny ring. Just to fully determine the location of the rubbing, you might want to assess the aubbing in different rear cogs. As the gearing gets harder/ cogs get smaller, your chain should get closer to the bottom of the front der cage. If this is, in fact, where you have the rubbing, it should be pronounced in the smaller rear cogs.

just a thought,
    Thumbies
    I thought I had read on one your previous threads regarding this issue you had 29mm of clearance between the bottom of the cage and chainstay while shifted into granny?? Yeah it starts to hit the cage around the 5th or so cog..
    Thanks!!