Thread: Freddie Lites??

Ologist

Freddie Lites??

Does anyone know if those new Nokian 2.3 Freddie Lites with the smaller spikes will fit on an ID with an asymmetrical chainstay. Don't have access to one to try - thanks.

Rolling
    I'm willing to bet they will.

One idea if someone doesn't chime in, is buy only one. If it doesn't work, put it on the front and get a Nokian Hakka WXC 300 Studs 26 x 2.1" for the rear. Otherwise get another Freddie.

I know the price you pay is delay and more shipping charges, but better than a $110 tire you can't use.

Plus, you can post and tell us if it fits.

Ologist
    That is a good idea. Even up here in snow country I can't find a LBS that is carrying them.

No, that's not phonetic
    Tell me what tires you own that fit and I can see if I have the same tires and can compare them to my Freddies. Or I can measure my Freddies. Whichever. Oddly, I don't have an ells to throw the Freddies in.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Tell me what tires you own that fit and I can see if I have the same tires and can compare them to my Freddies. Or I can measure my Freddies. Whichever. Oddly, I don't have an ells to throw the Freddies in.
    I got the Ells and you got the tires, maybe we can make lots of money (playing of a pop song in the mid eighties)..............Do this since you have them. Measure the width and then take a tire and flatten it out like a snake skin. The new stays will take a panaracer 2.4 which really has knobs that extend to 2.5" and has a flattened out measurement of 5.875" ( 5-7/8"). Not much bigger is going to fit. I have mavic 519FR rims so a wider rim will make the tire even bigger. If those tires are in those parameters, we have a winner.

But hey, that doesn't consider snow build-up!

Ologist
    I have wtb weirwolves 2.3, nevegal ust 2.1, and some old Hutch Scorpion 2.3. I think the widest are the nevegals but those are narrow relative to the Freddies. I tried to fit a Freddie on a large marge rim on the rear last year with no luck but that was before I got the asymetric chainstay. Unfortunately I never tried them on a normal rim. These new Freddie lites have smaller studs than than the Freddies.

I thought I might be able to skirt actually having to take the measurements, but I think that's what I am going to have to do.

T.S. are you still out on Kodiak? Coming to town for a ride anytime soon?

No, that's not phonetic
    I think you are pretty safe. Mounted on a Syncros DP25 rim (25mm outside to outside) and inflated to 30psi, the Freddy is only 2 1/16" wide at the outer knobs, and 2" tall from the outermost part of the rim to the outermost part of the knobs. Far from a true 2.3" anyway. Laid flat the way lidarman describes, it is 5 1/2" wide. BTW, they are excellent tires! I have two sets, and one is a year old with lots of miles last winter. They are way more durable than the Hakka 300s and don't feel as porky as the Extreme 296s while offering better float. I don't have any 294s to compare them to.

Yep, in Kodiak to stay, I think. I post pics from our rides down here periodically on the Alaska forum, and pretty regularly on the Turner board. I won't be up to Anchorage anytime soon, but we really want to do an extended bike trip up there maybe next September instead of going to Utah like we always do. The Kenai and Anchorage areas are a lot of fun and it's damn hard to beat Alaska in Sept.

Keep an eye out for the elusive 29er Nokian 294s which are supposed to be out this fall (hopefully).

Rolling
    Now hopefully, Vahalla, you have version two of the new stay and not version one. When Ellsworth sent me the first asym stay, it had terrible tire clearance in the direction toward the yoke. The new stay has a slightly smaller box welded in there.

version 1

version 2

Ologist
    yeah, it is version 2 I never knew there was 2 versions.

There is a lot of buzz around town about those 29'er 294s. I heard there has been a lot of production delays for all of Nokian studded tires this Fall. I was hoping to buy mine at a LBS but I don't think I want to wait that long.

Thanks for all your help

Ologist
    double post

No, that's not phonetic
    Nokian's purchase by Suomi (sp?) had made for some disruptions, and they seem to do limited runs of tires anyway. I ordered a set of the 29ers as soon as I heard about them. I would hate to be left out and have my 29er be relegated to the wall all winter.