Thread: Frame life??

Ologist

Frame life??

This is a pretty general question about frame life. I have a 2003 ID that has been ridden pretty hard for the last 4 years. I replaced my chainstay due to a crack, but other than that I do not see signs of major fatigue.

For a long travel trail bike what can one expect for life out of a frame?

Is there a point when I should not continuing taking drops and bombing down rocky slopes or am I good to go until something breaks (hopefully not at speed!)?

Rolling
    Forever since it has a lifetime warranty

But who knows. I have a 2003 Id too.

I also have a 1997 schwinn Homegrown (2.9 lb frame) hardtail that I have put 18,000 miles on and it's still going strong. I recently looked at the frame to see if it might have fatigue points but it appears to be fine.

But least you know the weak spots on the Id. The seatube under the pivot bracket, the rockers and the chainstay.

I'd just look at those areas periodically. Usually there will be a crack forming before it catastrophically fails--Of course catastrophic failure might occur on the next bump after the crack starts. I would definitely check after each really hard ride.

Related to this, I when I found a crack on my 2001 Truth seatube while riding in Fruita, I tried to gauge the size of the crack, then after riding another half hour on my way back, I looked periodically and it wasn't changing.

When I got to the parking area, I took a huge jump off a berm to see if I could get the crack to fail or get worse. The unfortunate irony was I landed wrong in the cross wind on pea gravel, went down hard and broke my collar bone instead of the frame. The crack in the frame didn't get any worse.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think your bike is done. You should send it to me for recycling. PM me for the mailing address.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOLAYA
    I think your bike is done. You should send it to me for recycling. PM me for the mailing address.
    You are the fourth person to tell me that. I am glad there are so many helpful people out there that care about the environment!!

mtbr member

Lidarman is right on

Lidarman is right- and there is a great life lesson and wisdom in his story (at least for me).

Austin, Texas
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    When I got to the parking area, I took a huge jump off a berm to see if I could get the crack to fail or get worse. The unfortunate irony was I landed wrong in the cross wind on pea gravel, went down hard and broke my collar bone instead of the frame. The crack in the frame didn't get any worse.
    Excuse my immaturity and I know it's kinda like laughing at a hurt kid, but I did laugh out loud when I read this. Maybe because it sounds like something I would do.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by grungePoodle
    Excuse my immaturity and I know it's kinda like laughing at a hurt kid, but I did laugh out loud when I read this. Maybe because it sounds like something I would do.
    I laughed at myself when it happened.

I was like, go figure...the good news was the beer cooler and the car were 50 feet away--and the hospital in Fruita, CO was dead.

When my party arrived, I was sitting in a chair with my beer. They came up to me with a puzzled look, then dropped their jaws when I calmly said, I broke my collar bone.

It was surreal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Back to OP, aluminum is not the most ductile material, but the frames are heat treated to prevent a sudden brittle failure. You should have some warning signs (cracks, etc) long before the frame fails. Inspect the frame before or after rides. cracks usually start in the welds. good luck.