Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 52
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555

    FR 180 Wish list

    I know the pros at Ellsworth are gonna make a frigid sweet ride but figured a little imput from the peanut gallery never hurts and can help kill time till the final bike is ready.

    Here goes

    Please Please Please do a Straight 1.5 HT.

    Tapered headtubes have no place on a park bike. Just an opinion.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    I agree with you on that. Straight 1.5 to allow maximum geometry change using anglesets.

    180mm medium BB height (14 inch max) and slackish angles, approx 65 degrees. That way using an angleset you can slacken it out to 63 degrees as a DH orientated park bike with a nice low BB or steepen it to 67 degrees as a big travel all mountain ride.

    Fitting the head tube with pinch bolts to allow easy removing of the upper headset cup would be a nice touch too.

    Absolutely definately a proper bolt through rear axle. Maxle or similar would be good.

    This could be a killer bike!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Sounds good Nsynk.

    Chainguide mounts and ability to run a double crank. Full length seatpost also.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Knext!
    Question?

    What is imput?

    Imput is what happens when I'm typing fast and hit the wrong key.

    If you go over to the Turner forum the ole beer bellied Homers will keep you plenty busy with corrections. They are 8 times worse than me.

  5. #5
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    I am really slow on the uptake...
    Can someone fill me in?

    FR180?
    Is this the new DARE? Or something tween the DARE and moment?
    Thanks and sorry for the late arrival to the game!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    I am really slow on the uptake...
    Can someone fill me in?

    FR180?
    Is this the new DARE? Or something tween the DARE and moment?
    Thanks and sorry for the late arrival to the game!

    the fr180 is a replacement for the rogue

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    28
    I want non-adjustable 150x12mm dropouts with 83mm bb.
    I want adjustable travel via shock change.
    I want ISCG 05.
    I want 1.5 headtube.
    I want it to be 9lbs inc shock.

    I want it now! or should I go for Dare?

  8. #8
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    could be interesting

    to see a new 7 inch bike from ellsworth - however, I wonder if they are going to continue with their steep head angles and make a 180mm 67 degree HA bike????????

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat
    to see a new 7 inch bike from ellsworth - however, I wonder if they are going to continue with their steep head angles and make a 180mm 67 degree HA bike????????
    From a post I remember reading it sounds more like they are gonna follow current park bike trends. I have no idea what they plan on but if they are looking at bikes like the specy SX we could have something pretty nice coming.
    66degree HT and sub 14" BB would be nice.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    The current Rogue when specced with an 8.5 x 2.5 shock has a 66 degree head angle and a 14.25 inch bb height with approx 185mm travel. For me that is still too high and steep. However I just received an angleset headset from www.ofanaim.net. and with that fitted my HA will be 64.7 degrees and BB 13.5 inch !!! I don't think I will be needing the fr180 !!!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    From a post I remember reading it sounds more like they are gonna follow current park bike trends. I have no idea what they plan on but if they are looking at bikes like the specy SX we could have something pretty nice coming.
    66degree HT and sub 14" BB would be nice.

    66 deg head angle with Angleset plus/minus 1 or 1.5 deg as stock spec.
    BB 14" or slightly lower is the target
    WB 43.5 - 44.5

    Welding this week, next week to heat treat and build, no time for ano, but two (1) sm (1) lng should make it to Sea Otter

    The first protos will not have the through axle rear, but they should follow in the next month

    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  12. #12
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    still seems behind the curve

    66HA - thats AM by today's standards 44 in WB - thats AM.
    Look like Ellsworth is sticky to their old - "3 year behind" geo....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    66 deg head angle with Angleset plus/minus 1 or 1.5 deg as stock spec.
    BB 14" or slightly lower is the target
    WB 43.5 - 44.5

    Welding this week, next week to heat treat and build, no time for ano, but two (1) sm (1) lng should make it to Sea Otter

    The first protos will not have the through axle rear, but they should follow in the next month

    Ok by implication that means it has a tapered head tube not 1.5, otherwise you would have said 2 degree adjustment with an angleset.

    Actually that is not bad stats for a big AM/FR bike. Slackening it off to 64.5 with a correspondingly lower BB is enough for most bike park stuff. If you need it slacker then buy a DH bike.

    I see the Ellsworth newsletter put something out at the same time you posted too

  14. #14
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat
    66HA - thats AM by today's standards 44 in WB - thats AM.
    Look like Ellsworth is sticky to their old - "3 year behind" geo....
    Those sound like pretty good 180mm travel bike numbers to me.
    You want slacker, longer...maybe they be building a true DH bike mate?
    This does not sounds like a true DH bike to me.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70

    Quick Pic

    More next week....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  16. #16
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    More next week....
    Whoa dang!
    Interesting ST design.
    Also, I don't see an upper rocker type mount? Just not on there yet?
    Thanks for sharing the love!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    wow . V different?. Interupted seat tube, that's new for Ells and whats with the double tapered headtube? 1.5 top and bottom but narrow in the centre, mm interesting indeed.

    Thanks for posting David.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    going back to the thought of names. How about ZEN !

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    28
    more pics of the frame over at pinkbike

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Whoa dang!
    Interesting ST design.
    Also, I don't see an upper rocker type mount? Just not on there yet?
    Thanks for sharing the love!!

    +1!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,378
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  22. #22
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    Interesting.
    Obviously not too much to look at till it's finished. Wonder if this will still double as a Black diamond trial bike? (Climbable for the local DH runs) Or is it gonna be specific to the Lifts?

    I look forward to the finished product.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70

    More Pics

    Happy Monday
    Here is a couple more pics that will give you more detail about upper pivot location, etc.
    Now we are ready for alignment and final age.
    Next, on to testing
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR 180 Wish list-fr180-lev-ii-sm-2-.jpg  

    FR 180 Wish list-fr180-levii-sm.jpg  

    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Can't wait to see the rockers for this thang!!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    The prototype does not match the drawing. The drawing has a straight seat tube. personally I like the straight tube better.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    The prototype does not match the drawing. The drawing has a straight seat tube. personally I like the straight tube better.

    The bend doesn't bother me unless it inhibits the ability to put a front derailuer on.
    Was already planning on a dropper post. Unless of course the seat tube angle is super slack. Kinda wonder if this is gonna be a park only or a true freeride (Aka pedal to the top first) kinda bike.
    Guess we will find out soon enough.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    The prototype does not match the drawing. The drawing has a straight seat tube. personally I like the straight tube better.
    Thanks for noticing,
    I was not sitting on the FR180 drawing
    The seat tube bend is to allow a front derailleur then get out of the way of the rear end under full compression
    David
    Last edited by Bike Zen; 04-04-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Is there a target frame weight with rc4???

    Also, whats the seat tube angle?
    Last edited by toHELLuRIDE; 04-05-2011 at 07:21 AM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    Thanks for noticing,
    I was not sitting on the FR180 drawing
    The seat tube bend is to allow a front derailleur then get out of the way of the rear end under full compression
    David
    mmm Sounds like it will have some nice short stays then. short rear centre and long front centre. sounds good

  30. #30
    TheGroup biker
    Reputation: Salgomasudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Just one question.
    The BB 73mm or 83mm?

  31. #31
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    Looking good Ellsworth!!!

    I'll Take all Black with no graphics.

  32. #32
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    ......
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 04-15-2011 at 08:54 AM.

  33. #33
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    I saw the completed bike on FB. Lookin good.
    Dare rear. And nice lines.
    What's the geo numbers. Seat tube specifically. Look slack.

  34. #34
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    ST angle and sizing

    timbbbber - I saw the FR180 today. spoke to several of the guys about it - seat angle looks really slack. like 68 ish. no one knew though. the long seemed a little big on my with the seat halfway up, and im 5'9. small felt real nice.

    and the frame only weighs 9lbs. pretty appealling.

    anyone know what how the sizing should mate up - with the dare only have a S and L? where's the cut off for most people?

  35. #35
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    Any idea what the ETT measurement is on the Small and large?

  36. #36
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    they didn't know when i was there - but the dare is 21.75 and 24. yikes.

  37. #37
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    Hoping the TT measures close to the old rogue. 23.5 small & 24.5 Large.
    Personally I lean toward the Small if it's close to old rogue numbers.
    That slack seat tube does have me a bit perplexed? How is that gonna be for the climbs some of us make to get to our goods. Really 68degrees? Yikes.
    Hope Bike Zen chimes in with some Geo Numbers and explanations.

    Bike looks awesome.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70

    Geo and such...

    Hi Guys,
    Chiming in on geo and such.
    This bike was designed to enter us into the FR category. The Rogue was not in the FR category, it was a long travel "Adventure Bike" . Since the Moment has now crept up to 160mm of travel. it has now taken the place of what the Rogue used to be used for.
    Note: We created these protos to make sure the geo and strength are good. We can still change it, but by design, it fits the FR category well

    Here are some comparison numbers for you (size SM):


    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Hoping the TT measures close to the old rogue. 23.5 small & 24.5 Large.
    Personally I lean toward the Small if it's close to old rogue numbers.
    That slack seat tube does have me a bit perplexed? How is that gonna be for the climbs some of us make to get to our goods. Really 68degrees? Yikes.
    Hope Bike Zen chimes in with some Geo Numbers and explanations.

    Bike looks awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR 180 Wish list-fr-geo.jpg  

    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  39. #39
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    Hi Guys,
    Chiming in on geo and such.
    This bike was designed to enter us into the FR category. The Rogue was not in the FR category, it was a long travel "Adventure Bike" . Since the Moment has now crept up to 160mm of travel. it has now taken the place of what the Rogue used to be used for.
    Note: We created these protos to make sure the geo and strength are good. We can still change it, but by design, it fits the FR category well

    Here are some comparison numbers for you (size SM):
    So is the 21.5 an effective TT measurement or actual?

    FR180 seems to be more mini Dare? Fair to say?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70
    Yes, TT numbers are effective.

    Mini-Dare? I guess that would be fair considering where the market has taken these single crown FR bikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    So is the 21.5 an effective TT measurement or actual?

    FR180 seems to be more mini Dare? Fair to say?
    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  41. #41
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    Yes, TT numbers are effective.

    Mini-Dare? I guess that would be fair considering where the market has taken these single crown FR bikes.
    So what numbers are we looking at for the large/long?
    Safe to say this bike is directed more toward the resort / bike park.
    Not sure many people will want to climb anything on a 68 degree seatube.

    Not hating. Jus sayin.

    Bike looks great and will be a great resort ripper.

  42. #42
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    Damn! 65 degree ST angle. DH rigs are running that. Not sure how it could be 70 degrees depending on Seat post height.

    Look forward to hearing the numbers for the Large.

  43. #43
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    large specs

    dying for these since too!

  44. #44
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    maybe if enough of us chime in

    we can get a medium thrown in the mix. there's got to be enough 5'8 -->5'10 riders out there that would suffer from raising the seat post too much where it would be super slack when raised all the way, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat
    dying for these since too!

  45. #45
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat
    we can get a medium thrown in the mix. there's got to be enough 5'8 -->5'10 riders out there that would suffer from raising the seat post too much where it would be super slack when raised all the way, right?
    I think the main thing to remember is that this is a prototype. Angles may change. I saw a video on pinkbike saying they are looking toward a September for a release date.
    The dude also mentioned the purpose ofthe super slack seat tube was that when raised it creates a larger cockpit for climbing and when dropped provided a smaller more nimble bike for the downhill shredd. Sounds good in theory. Only their testers will be able to confirm.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Damn! 65 degree ST angle. DH rigs are running that. Not sure how it could be 70 degrees depending on Seat post height.

    Look forward to hearing the numbers for the Large.

    I agree, 65deg sounds very slack, but with the seat tube forward and angled back like this, the seat tube angle becomes effective.
    So the lower the post, the steeper the effective seat tube angle. All the way down = 71 deg (which is really way too steep for this category) all the way up = 65 deg (in theory, this will be way too high for this category as well) The sweet spot, should run at 68 deg, just like the rest of the bikes in the category.

    Theory's are like the best laid plans though. We will need to ride them in several positions and make adjustments to the protos before production.

    David
    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

  47. #47
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    I agree, 65deg sounds very slack, but with the seat tube forward and angled back like this, the seat tube angle becomes effective.
    So the lower the post, the steeper the effective seat tube angle. All the way down = 71 deg (which is really way too steep for this category) all the way up = 65 deg (in theory, this will be way too high for this category as well) The sweet spot, should run at 68 deg, just like the rest of the bikes in the category.

    Theory's are like the best laid plans though. We will need to ride them in several positions and make adjustments to the protos before production.

    David
    looks like i'll be coming out to outerbike....

  48. #48
    The OMEN
    Reputation: Prodigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    So what were the numbers for the large?

    How are the tests going. You guys able to climb without the front end lifting and wandering all over the place? Seems like people will be pretty far behind the rear wheel with the Seat up.

    The bike looks *****ing but is it capable for Backcountry and resorts?

  49. #49
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,391
    What's the good word Bike Zen?

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    idk. i think it needs bigger rockers

    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ellswor...tter-day-.html


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •