mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fox F-120 on an Epiphany???

Will it work or will it be too steep at 120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    Will it work or will it be too steep at 120mm?
    I have an 07 Talas RLC on my Epiphany and I pretty much keep it at 120mm all the time. I bought my frame last May and unless they have adjusted the geometry since then, 120mm is absolutelly perfect for riding singletrack. If I was buying another fork soon I would just get the Fox 120. My two cents!

MTB SOCAL

Should be fine

I think 120 should be fine for most trail-riding / singletrack applications. When I bought my 07 Epi, I specifically looked for an older 2006 Float RLC because it had 130 mm (instead of 140 mm for 07's). Previously, I had a Moto-lite with an older TALAS with 125 mm travel and it also felt very comfortable. So, I think anywhere from 120-140 would work.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    If you are unsure you could always just get the TALAS RLC. Then you can have both

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I already have the Float-120 is the reason I ask. I rode a Blur LT last year with a TALAS RLC. the 120 setting suited me the best. 140 was too slack. I just wondered if the Epiphany was steeper wit the 120. My 120 is a G2 model off of a Hi-Fi.

mtbr member
    Nope, you should be good to go. IMO, 120 is the definite sweet spot on the Epiphany. I used to use the 140 setting for really hairy downhills but I don't even do that anymore. It really is a confidence inspiring bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, I've owned a Truth, a Moment, an Id and a Dare. My only reservation was Ellsworth's warranty rep. I've lusted after this bike since it came out. Ellsworth's pedal better than anything out there. I hope I like it as much as I think I will.

I'll try the 120 first and if it feels like its missing something I'll look at a TALAS.

mtbr member
    I hear ya about the warranty rep and bad customer service stories. I love my Epiphany but I don't think I will get another Ells. If I was gonna buy a bike tomorrow I would get a Trance XO. For $3,700 you get a hell of a bike that is spec'd great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Kbell....here is some food for thought about my personal experience with two Epi's and 2007 Talas RLC

I had an 06 Medium Epi and felt the same about the 140mm being a bit too slack for the Medium size Epi. But, ever since I moved up to a 08 Large Epi, my Talas at 140mm feels much better. I still use 120mm most of the time and 100mm when it is REALLY steep, but if I see a big downhill coming up I crank it to 140mm and it really works fine. I even find myself riding longer and comfortably at 140mm even after the downhill is finished.

It may be due to the slightly longer wheelbase or (I haven't measured yet) that Ellsworth slackened the EPI headtube a half a degree in 2008. Something to keep an eye on if you are riding a LARGE.