mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fox explains Tuned for Ellsworth RP23

I sent email to Fox to ask about the different compression tune of RP23 sold with Ellsworth frames. They asked me to call them so they could explain it more easily. So, I broke down and made the international call. They were very helpful.
    They told me that previously the compression tune specified by Ellsworth was the lowest setting (small bar). Somewhere along the line, starting with later 2008 Epiphany Ellsworth requested Fox to change the compression tune to the highest setting (large bar). As explained by Fox this would result in a stiffer ride, but could not explain why Ellsworth requested the change - Ellsworth would have to explain that.
    Rebound tune is and has always been set to the lowest setting.
    Fox explained that these tunings have to do with the valve sizes inside the shock. I don't know anything about shock engineering so I don't know what that really means. Didn't get into that level of detail with the call to Fox. They said to follow the standard sag setting procedure regardless.
    Fox told me they don't sell any RP23 with tuning, that's only provided to OEMs. So, maybe that means the standard RP23 from Fox is a "medium" setting equivalent. It has to be something since its based on the valve settings, not a special feature added. They also told me that its not allowed for the OEM to sell the shock without being on the frame, part of their agreement. But that only applies, according to them, to 2008 models. If there are previous year shocks unsold I guess they (OEM) are allowed to swap or sell them if you wanted a lowest compression tuning. Maybe if you asked Fox nicely and they still have some of the old tuned for Ellsworth versions they will swap for you. I didn't press them on this.
    So, in the end, it would seem that only Ellsworth can explain the details of what, why and how any further. Maybe the best (only?) option for someone who wants a lower compression tuning is to have it Push-ed.

MTB SOCAL

Thanks

Hey OldHorse,
    Thanks for looking into this. It's odd that Fox no longer sells RP23's with different levels of factory tune. It was only 6 months ago that I send my aftermarket RP23 back to them to have it re-tuned to the lowest setting. I would be curious to compare how an Epi would ride with each shock. I know, from the few rides I took on my Epi with the aftermarket RP23 - it was realy stiff before I had it re-tuned. I guess we wait to hear from Ellsworth, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Ride on.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    Hey OldHorse,
    Thanks for looking into this. It's odd that Fox no longer sells RP23's with different levels of factory tune. It was only 6 months ago that I send my aftermarket RP23 back to them to have it re-tuned to the lowest setting. I would be curious to compare how an Epi would ride with each shock. I know, from the few rides I took on my Epi with the aftermarket RP23 - it was realy stiff before I had it re-tuned. I guess we wait to hear from Ellsworth, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Ride on.
    Yangpei:
    Darrin at Fox was very helpful, but I can't be sure he knew the full story. His point was that Fox only sells these tuned shocks to Ellsworth and currently Ellsworth requests them to be at the highest compression tune. I didn't ask him if they would re-tune an existing one, maybe they still do that.
    I'm curious about the effect on the ride, he just told me "its stiffer". I don't even know how the internals of these shocks work, so when he explained it was valve sizing I'm at a loss as to how that affects the behavior of the shock and what the feel is. I wonder if this is similar or related in some way to what Push would do to the shock.
    I guess I will try to put together an email to Ellsworth and see if they can shed some light on this.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The bike is way too soft in the rear due to the large rocker generally. On my own, I did this same thing to my EPI while I owned it (firmed it up). I would say the issue is worse if you are heavier for your height and worse if you like to stand on climbs. Glad to see them acknowledge it. One bike certainly isn't perfect for all and it's nice to be able to test ride bikes to see what fits your style.

If you are smooth, don't get out of the saddle and not a heavy person the bike is dialed with a super plush rear suspension. Really nice. I'm riding a Turner now with a shorter rocker and that really works for my style, but I miss the plush.

Burnt Orange Lives

Turner??

Turner no ICT...

Quote Originally Posted by stratmosphere
    The bike is way too soft in the rear due to the large rocker generally. On my own, I did this same thing to my EPI while I owned it (firmed it up). I would say the issue is worse if you are heavier for your height and worse if you like to stand on climbs. Glad to see them acknowledge it. One bike certainly isn't perfect for all and it's nice to be able to test ride bikes to see what fits your style.

If you are smooth, don't get out of the saddle and not a heavy person the bike is dialed with a super plush rear suspension. Really nice. I'm riding a Turner now with a shorter rocker and that really works for my style, but I miss the plush.

ZEN RIDER!
    Do they do the same tuning for the DHX coil or is this just specific to the rp23?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    The DHX has a external adjustment for the compression so you are able to tune it to you weight and riding style. In my experience the RP23 is designed for pure cross-country riding and for riders that are looking for a really plush ride. Riders that are more aggressive tend to want a shock that has more compression. The reason you would want more compression is to prevent the shock from bottoming out so easy, but it does make the shock stiffer especially at the end of the stroke.