mtbr member

Fox or 5th E for my Truth???

Hey Guys, I need your inputs here. I'm geting my new 2004 Truth frame this coming Saturday and I'm confused which of this 2 shocks to choose. I need your suggestions Guys specially from those Truth owners who had experience the pros and cons between the Fox and the 5th Element Air shock...
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Out of 42 viewers, nobody care to give me any suggestions or comments on my inquiry??? ...That's too bad....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn
    Out of 42 viewers, nobody care to give me any suggestions or comments on my inquiry??? ...That's too bad....
    Hi, I heard not so good commemts about the 5th element, due to its frequent leaks, though its the lightest out there. The fox and the cloud 9 will be the best so far.

sock puppet

when 5th element is setup properly

it is hard to beat it's plushnes and low weight combination. i waited for '04 truth only so that i could use 5th element with it. cant give you any real ride comments as i didnt have chance to ride my bike yet (canadian snow belt).

cant wait though

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot Buddy, you help me made up my mind on this issue. appreciate your help very much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks a lot Buddy, you help me made up my mind on this issue. appreciate your help very much.
    Yrs coming so soon? What color have you ordered? Mine will only arrive in may, the only problem is the color, cos I love both the black and blue now!!

Trail rider and racer
    I would stick with the Stock Fox AVA, its very plush and the bike rides great with it.

Ellsworth would ship the bike with a 5th by default if it didn't influence the ride as much as it does (ie bike not as complaint etc)

Trevor!

sock puppet

romic is as stock as fox is as stock as 5th element is...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I would stick with the Stock Fox AVA, its very plush and the bike rides great with it.

Ellsworth would ship the bike with a 5th by default if it didn't influence the ride as much as it does (ie bike not as complaint etc)

Trevor!
    actually, Ellsworth suggests Romic over the other 2...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evolution_gsr
    Yrs coming so soon? What color have you ordered? Mine will only arrive in may, the only problem is the color, cos I love both the black and blue now!!
    Originally, I was about to get a Blur but I'm still a little uncertain about the VPP design. But when I saw 1 Truth hanging on our LBS(Hongkong), I suddenly fall in love with it and they said they still have few in stocks...So I let a week pass for me to re-think my decision and that was it...I wanna get that Anodized Blue Truth...And since I'm a little confused which shock to choose, so I let you guys to help me decide...
    Thanks a lot, soon I'm gonna be a proud owner of a Ellsworth Truth...

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    actually, Ellsworth suggests Romic over the other 2...
    Yes thats true, however the point I was making is that the AVA is stock on the frame the others are suggested.

The last intel I heard was that the 5th was just offered as an option, and is not a stock shock becuase it doesn't do much to ride quality, in fact it doesn't allow the truth to ride the way it should. In fact the reason I was told the Truth can come with a 5th was purely because the 5th element was a bit of fad for some consumers.

That all being said, it is a fine shock and may suit people who will race the bike in short course events etc or want the weight saving (Which is tempting I may add).

Trevor!

mtbr member
    Most of the Truth that I see using a Fox Shock is that the shock body is mounted on the top mount and even the one on the interbike picture with 5th E was also mounted the same. However, since there are some leakage issue on the 5th Element, probably that's the reason why the 5th E shock body was now inverted or installed up-side-down wherein the shock body is now located at the lower mount.
    I maybe wrong but it's probably is the reason...
    What do you think Guys???

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

1 vote for the 5th Air

The adjustability of the threshold of the platform attracts me more than the one size fits all of the Pro-pedal. I like to tinker with my bike and will spend months playing with air settings and oil weights so having an adjustable shock is a plus to me. I know people who can not/do not adjust crap (i've ridden their bikes) and the Pro-pedal is perfect for them. Definitely skip the Cloud 9, its a pogo stick with no dampening.<p>The 5th does have some quality issues but so does Romic and you will find many Ellsworth owners here rave about the Romic shocks but a peek at the Turner board Romic is a very average shock durability wise. If the long term durability of a shock matters most to you, get the Pro-pedal. Does Ellsworth offer a Swinger option?

sock puppet

actually, i was playing with the position of the 5th element

Most of the Truth that I see using a Fox Shock is that the shock body is mounted on the top mount and even the one on the interbike picture with 5th E was also mounted the same. However, since there are some leakage issue on the 5th Element, probably that's the reason why the 5th E shock body was now inverted or installed up-side-down wherein the shock body is now located at the lower mount.
    I maybe wrong but it's probably is the reason...
    What do you think Guys???
    on my bike and the clearance around the mounting point on the swing arm is very limited when installed with the body side on the top. i dont think that the positioning of the shock has anything to do with any kind of "leakage". that would have applied to FOX rear shocks as well...

i spoke with both Ells and Progressive and was told that it really doesnt matter which way the shock is installed.

i have to admit that i went with the hype about this shock. i'll give it a whirl and see how it feels on the bike. Then i will decide whether i will keep it or replace it with something else (in that case i'd consider Fox AVA pro pedal).

one of the reasons i went with 5th was SPV and adjustability. i'll deal with "quality" issues if i ever encounter any. (i dont expect that light and adjustable shock lasts more than a season and a half anyway).

sock puppet

i agree Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Yes thats true, however the point I was making is that the AVA is stock on the frame the others are suggested.

The last intel I heard was that the 5th was just offered as an option, and is not a stock shock becuase it doesn't do much to ride quality, in fact it doesn't allow the truth to ride the way it should. In fact the reason I was told the Truth can come with a 5th was purely because the 5th element was a bit of fad for some consumers.

That all being said, it is a fine shock and may suit people who will race the bike in short course events etc or want the weight saving (Which is tempting I may add).

Trevor!
    Fox shock is tried, tested and true, and it is working well with the frame.

5th has to prove itself on the trails. i am hoping it will be everything it is bragged to be... if not, i'm going back to FOX...

mtbr member

About the Cloud 9

Just a coment about the Cloud 9, I have this shock installed on a non Ellsworth bike (similiar design) and this shock does anything buy "pogo" as you state. In fact I was on a ride Sunday, standing and hammering up a road to the trail head with some teammates and one asked if I had the lock-out on as the shock was not moving at all. I told him "NOPE", sat down as we entered the trail and showed him the suspendion at work.
    Too early to tell much about the shock as I am still dialing in the settings, but initial performace is great.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    The adjustability of the threshold of the platform attracts me more than the one size fits all of the Pro-pedal. I like to tinker with my bike and will spend months playing with air settings and oil weights so having an adjustable shock is a plus to me. I know people who can not/do not adjust crap (i've ridden their bikes) and the Pro-pedal is perfect for them. Definitely skip the Cloud 9, its a pogo stick with no dampening.<p>The 5th does have some quality issues but so does Romic and you will find many Ellsworth owners here rave about the Romic shocks but a peek at the Turner board Romic is a very average shock durability wise. If the long term durability of a shock matters most to you, get the Pro-pedal. Does Ellsworth offer a Swinger option?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bizzare.

My friend had a Cloud 9 on his truth and it bobbed horribly. Nothing he could do would stop it. I tried it on my Turner XCE, and I liked it, but I had to pump the air pressure up way too high to stop the bobbing.

He has a propedal Fox AVA on his truth now and it's a night and day difference; plush w/ hardly any bob.

I've heard similar bobbing stories for other people, and I've also heard people rave about the C9's. I wonder if there's a wide variation is dampening or QC issues? Perhaps the C9 we had was defective?

Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have the Cloud 9 rebound knob on my Truth set to about a 1/2 click from max rebound, 1/2 click more and the shock will lock down and not come up. The compression and rebound circuit share the same chamber and to gain max rebound control you have to leave the compression knob full open. With all this there is still not enough rebound control, the back end of my bike hops around all over the place. At the time i purchased the shock it was the only high volume shock available and it did plush out the bike some but it is clearly out classed today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Guys, I need your inputs here. I'm geting my new 2004 Truth frame this coming Saturday and I'm confused which of this 2 shocks to choose. I need your suggestions Guys specially from those Truth owners who had experience the pros and cons between the Fox and the 5th Element Air shock...
    Thanks
    I've owned a number of bikes over the years that were equipped with Fox rear suspension. I was always impressed with the performance and reliability of their shocks. When Cane Creek introduced the AD 10 a few years back, I made the switch to that shock mainly because I was a bit of a weight weenie at the time. I also became impressed with the reliablity and performance of the 'Creek, and this became my rear shock of choice for the last few bikes I've owned.

Last year I got a spanking new 2003 Truth. It was my original intention to have it shipped with a 'Creek Cloud Nine, but at the time this shock was unavailable for whatever reason. Not being the type to wait, I was talked into getting the frame (somewhat against my intentions) shipped with either a Romic or a Fox Float with rebound adjustment (I think that's the "R" model????). I've heard great things about the Romic's but I like the ride of an airshock and really didnt want the weight of a steel spring (guess I'm still a bit of a weight weenie); so I went with the Fox Float. Couldn't go wrong there.....or so I thought.

I found the shock to be a great perfomer on smooth surfaces like pavement or gravel roads (I do a lot of road riding on my MTB). No bob whatsoever. But in an offroad setting, I found it to have way too much compression damping (which is non-adjustable), causing a very harsh ride which would send spikes from the rear wheel straight through the saddle and to my spine. (Ive also found this to be the case on other Float equipped bikes that employ completely different suspension designs) Knowing what a great platform the Truth is (this is my second one), I felt that the Float shock was taking a great deal away from what is a superbly riding bike. In my opinion, this shock made the bike ride more like a very soft softail rather than an FS bike with 100mm travel.

One month after receiving my frame, the Float began to leak. I dissasembled it, inspected & cleaned the seals, and reassembled it. This helped a bit, but the shock would gradually lose pressure in a relatively short time frame...something that none of the Cane Creek shocks never did.

Well to make an already long story short, I took the Float off and replaced it with a Cloud Nine. It's been pure riding bliss ever since without any hassles. The shock does bob ever so slighty (soemthing that the Float didn't do), but its so minimal that it's not even noticed and it's well worth it for the superior ride quality and tuning options.

For the record I haven't ridden any bike equipped with a 5th element and know very little about this shock. The Fox Float that my bike was shipped with didn't have any of the new AVA or Pro Pedal features.
    Last edited by ridah; 03-16-2004 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah i have to agree the Float R makes the Truth the harshest riding 4" travel bike i have ever been on. I think that is mainly due to the smaller air chamber that ramps up half way through its travel and the Truth not having enough falling rate to make up for that. When the AVA upgrade kit became available i really wanted to order one and try it out so that i can regain some rebound control again but this bike has really turned into a big money pit and i had to draw the line somewhere. Anyone out there using an AVA Float R shock on an '01-'03 Truth?