mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Fox 32 Vanilla fork question

Hi there,
    I know that this is not a suspension forum, but i know that a lot of the Ellsworth riders out there ride Fox forks so i thought somebody might know the answer.

I am currently awaiting a 2007 Vanilla 32 RLC to go on my Epiphany (to replace the defective 2006 Vanilla that i bought several months ago). I was keen on the 06 version because of its travel, 130 mm which seemed perfect for the Epi. I am concerned that the extra 10 mm of travel in the 07 lineup will raise the front end, slackent he steering, make steep climbing more difficult...basically, not improve the ride. Since i havent yet tried the fork, what actually happens remains to be seen. There was also some talk about using a 140mm fork not actually being covered under the Epi warranty, technically.

Regardless, what finally sold me on the 07 140 version is the Fox rep in Canada, Velocycle, told me that the travel could be reduced (i am imagining building a customized 10mm spacer on a CNC) just like all of the Vanilla's before. However, their on line owner's manual (which by the way is a piece of crap...it doesnt even detail how to change the oil...although i already know that) doesnt mention travel adjust for the Vanilla line (though its there for the Float line). So i called Fox and talked to someone 'Stu' who didnt really know the answer but eventually he came back and told me that it was impossible and that the internals were completely changed for 07.

so, has anybody had any experience inside the 07 Vanilla? Does it look like it is impossible to change the travel?

thanks, thumb

Time is not a road.
    From what I've read on other forums, the '07s do not have that capability like the older models did.

140mm forks won't void your warranty, according to one Ellsworth employee that posted on here when I ranted about someone else complaining that he was told that a 20mm TA would void his Epi warranty. That person said that 140mm is OK. Also, that the thru axle is ok, too.

It seems like there's lot of Epi riders on '07 Fox forks. It should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Ellsworth homepage states "Fork travel: Recommended 130-140mm" for the Epiphany so it should not be any problem with the warrenty. I ordered my Epi with a Fox 32 Vanilla R. It was shipped yesterday so in few days...

Best regards,

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

thanks...

for the info,
    So it appears that warranty is not going to be an issue, now its simply a geometry question. And so far it has been confirmed that, at least according to the fox literature (or other forums), the 07 Vanilla has no travel adjust feature. Funny i did a forum search on this topic and came up zippo...same for google.

Can anybody confirm this with actual experience?

I love how the bike handles with my older 125 Vanilla and i just recently switched it off my 0ld Stinky for an 05 Coil Pike (140). In this case there was a significant change in handling with the extra 15 mm...which in this case is a bonus but i fear it will be a detriment to the Epi and its intended useage.
    Thumb,