Praise Bob

Fox 180 on a Moment

Has anyone put a Fox Van 180 on a Moment? Compared to my 2006 Fox 36 (150mm) the increased axle to crown length would have a positive effect on HT angle bringing it down to around 66.5 degrees. On the downside the Moment already has a high BB and the 180 would bring it up to about 14.4"!

Is anyone aware of any comments from Ellsworth regarding the use of a 1800mm fork for this application? I use a King Steelset so I doubt that the extra 30mm of A to C is putting that much more stress on the headtube. Any thoughts? Comments?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When I bought my Moment 3 years ago, Ellsworth's website said that you shouldn't put any fork with more than 150mm travel on the Moment. Like many people, I have a 160mm fork on it, so I didn't follow those recommendations, and my LBS said that it's just Ellsworth's CYA policy.

mtbr member
    I would not go 180 on any Moment with a straight 1 1/8 head tube. I have been running a Van 36 160mm on my 08 Moment and it works great. However, the front of the bike is the area that I feel the most flex. The 36mm stanchions and 20mm axle are solid, The weak point becomes the steer tube and head tube frame junction.

I think the 36 160 perfectly suits this bike, any more rake would really mess up climbing ability with this geometry. I have ridden my Moment in the Whistler bike park and the 160 fork worked just fine there. (at least on blue and single black runs)

If you really want to run a 180 fork, I would buy another frame that is designed for it. The Knolly Delirium and upcoming Turner RFX are the type of bikes that beg for a 180.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I never ran a 180m fork on my Moment but I had a Marz 66 (180mm) on my Turner SixPack once. And that messed up the geometry really bad. I would think that it would be the same with the Moment - or worse. For me, a 160mm fork works best with the Moment.

mtbr member
    Unless the 2010 moment has different angles than the 2009 I would not do it. I had a 66 ata and always kept it at 160. The bike steered like poo and climbed terribly with it fully extended. I say 170 max on the bike. Just my .02.
    160 is optimal.
    If you want a 180 fork on your bike wait for the FR180 when it comes out.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    Has anyone put a Fox Van 180 on a Moment? Compared to my 2006 Fox 36 (150mm) the increased axle to crown length would have a positive effect on HT angle bringing it down to around 66.5 degrees. On the downside the Moment already has a high BB and the 180 would bring it up to about 14.4"!

Is anyone aware of any comments from Ellsworth regarding the use of a 1800mm fork for this application? I use a King Steelset so I doubt that the extra 30mm of A to C is putting that much more stress on the headtube. Any thoughts? Comments?

The sst 1 moment (mk3) has a BB height of 14.25 with a 130mm fork. With a 36 160 it is 14.4 in . so with a 180 it would be over 14.5.

Personally I think the handling would suffer.

Also why? A bike handles better when it is balanced front and rear.

Praise Bob

Thx for the replies!

It looks like everyone answered with a unanimous "Dont do it". :-)

I figured that the higher BB and slacker angle would affect handling & climbing in a negative way. I just wasn't sure the effects of the extra 30mm would make that big of a difference in actual riding so I was curious if anyone had tried it.

I was just considering it because I am 210lbs w/gear and a Fox Van with green springs gives me a nice deep sag without being wallow-y. I thought the extra 20mm of travel over the 160 would give me the extra big hit oomph I was looking for. I've taken the Moment a couple of times to Northstar and it was totally ride-able but I was wanting a plusher fork. On one of my trips out there I rented a 7"Giant Faith and the difference was night and day.

More than likely I will lighten the Moment into a trail bike and then look for a dedicated downhiller.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sounds good to me. For you can never have too many bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    It looks like everyone answered with a unanimous "Dont do it". :-)

I figured that the higher BB and slacker angle would affect handling & climbing in a negative way. I just wasn't sure the effects of the extra 30mm would make that big of a difference in actual riding so I was curious if anyone had tried it.

I was just considering it because I am 210lbs w/gear and a Fox Van with green springs gives me a nice deep sag without being wallow-y. I thought the extra 20mm of travel over the 160 would give me the extra big hit oomph I was looking for. I've taken the Moment a couple of times to Northstar and it was totally ride-able but I was wanting a plusher fork. On one of my trips out there I rented a 7"Giant Faith and the difference was night and day.

More than likely I will lighten the Moment into a trail bike and then look for a dedicated downhiller.

Or wait for the new Rogue or FR180 or whatever it ends up being called and have the bike your trying to turn your Moment into

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    Or wait for the new Rogue or FR180 or whatever it ends up being called and have the bike your trying to turn your Moment into

Best advice for running a 180 fork.