mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which forks for a Moment

Which Forks do you think would be the best choice for my Moment Rockshox Lyrik U-Turn Coil or the new 08 Fox Vans Coil both are coil and both have 160mil travel

VooDoo user.
    At this point I would lean toward a Lyrik. A little bird told me that Push industries will be tuning them soon. Maybe someone else could confirm this. (Might not be tuning the coil version but I think the Air will get the treatment)

mtbr member
    They're both great forks, but I agree with TimbR, the Lyrik may be slightly ahead in my book too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yep I've heard that Push will be doing something with some RS forks.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Why does every fork need to be modified by Push? Are the manufacturers that incompetent that they can't design the damping properly?
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Why does every fork need to be modified by Push? Are the manufacturers that incompetent that they can't design the damping properly?

I assume for the same reason as the shocks. Tuned to your exact riding weight and valved to your exact riding style. Those things can't be done for the masses at the factory. They reworked an old Float of mine, it came back to life, adding something I had been missing for awhile. All for a hundred bucks.
    They've been working Pikes for a little while now, and I'm considering sending my fork next.
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-15-2007 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

How 'bout Marzocchi

I just put on a 55 ATA on my new Moment. Nice, light, burly enough for my needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VooDoo user.
    Give us an update in 6 months about the 55ata. I'm not gonna get another till I know they have worked out all the bugs. My '07 66 still isn't perfect. I don't get full travel and I'm wondering how long the ATA fix I did will last.

On a side note it is buttery smooth.

"Its All Good"
    Momentus is running a Wotan on his Moment and loving it... There have been some great reviews on this fork.... May well be worth a look and explore the options etc....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I know two people who have gone from Lyric coils to Van coils and are now happier.

I think both complained about the medium spring being too hard, one tried the lighter spring but wasn't happy and the other just prefers the damping on the Van.

Whichever you get make sure you grease the axles as i've seen both seized.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

HIYAH
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    I just put on a 55 ATA on my new Moment. Nice, light, burly enough for my needs.

Do you ever feel like the 160 is just too long for the moment...? I have a RLC 140 and feel like it is just too short...but 160 seems way long. It looks pretty raked in the pictures, although it could be the shot angle.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    Do you ever feel like the 160 is just too long for the moment...? I have a RLC 140 and feel like it is just too short...but 160 seems way long. It looks pretty raked in the pictures, although it could be the shot angle.
    I run a 36 TALAS on my Moment... setting it at 160mm works fine but takes some getting used to. It still climbs OK at 160mm, but to be honest, I usually set the fork at 130mm for most riding. I'll set it at 160mm for prolonged gnar and/or downhills.

All in all, I think a 140mm thru-axle fork is probably perfect for a Moment, but the 36 has worked well for me. Just be prepared for a different feeling (not necessarily bad) ride when it's set at 160mm.
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elivingston
    I run a 36 TALAS on my Moment... setting it at 160mm works fine but takes some getting used to. It still climbs OK at 160mm, but to be honest, I usually set the fork at 130mm for most riding. I'll set it at 160mm for prolonged gnar and/or downhills.

All in all, I think a 140mm thru-axle fork is probably perfect for a Moment, but the 36 has worked well for me. Just be prepared for a different feeling (not necessarily bad) ride when it's set at 160mm.
    What aspect takes some getting used to? Can you explain the difference you feel riding a 160 vs. something else. I have a 36 Talas on mine and haven't really noticed much of a downside to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I run a Wotan and a 160mm fork is just perfect for the Moment. Descending AND climbing. If I had to choose between a Van and a Lyrik, I'd take a 55 eta. But if that isn't for you, then buy a Fox, the Lyriks I know all started to creak sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Or you could put the Lyric's on and hide the Vans under the stairs so wifey doesnt see'em!

HIYAH
    Been riding a pike 454 and it has been very good, better than my FOX Float RLC for sure. The platform system on the RS is spot on. I am riding mine full locked with just enough gate to allow me to stand up and sprint without motion and as soon as it hits something...blammo were back in business. The coil action feels far smoother than the air on the FOX. I am getting more travel out of the RS as well (according to my scientific zip tie). And the travel feels more progressive. On jumps I am getting near full travel but no bottom out feel. The FOX was always too stiff or not stiff enough (bottom out). Makes me thing I need a coil in the back as well.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

160 seems to be fine

I more notice the additional weight of the fork and whole ensemble for climbing than I do the increased rake and handlebar height. I can drop it down to 120 for the long climbs. The bike definitely gives more descending confidence. Just a little shift back in weight and the front end comes up real nice like for hopping obstacles or dropping in, something that previous to this bike, I have no real skill at.

Custom User Title
    Fox 36 TALAS
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    What aspect takes some getting used to? Can you explain the difference you feel riding a 160 vs. something else. I have a 36 Talas on mine and haven't really noticed much of a downside to it.
    Sure... the longer fork raises the handlebar height and it slackens the head angle. This makes it a bit more challenging to climb steep switchbacks (I notice this the most) and it slows the steering down slightly when you're really carving turns and cornering sharply.

None of these changes are really bad things, it just feels different than what I was used to (I owned my Moment for several years before I put the 160mm TALAS on it). Having a longer fork makes a really positive difference when going down steep and gnarly terrain, though. That's why I like the TALAS - you get the best of both worlds.

Finally, the thing I noticed the most was how much better the bike performed due to the fact that the fork is so much stiffer than my older Fox Float RLC w/ 32mm stanchions and quick release axle. It tracked so much better through rough rocks and roots that it was like getting a new bike.
    - elivingston

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Amen

(Finally, the thing I noticed the most was how much better the bike performed due to the fact that the fork is so much stiffer than my older Fox Float RLC w/ 32mm stanchions and quick release axle. It tracked so much better through rough rocks and roots that it was like getting a new bike.)

Totally agree. This is my first experience with a thru axle. An eye opener for minimizing deflection on fast straight away rocky descents. Tracks true. On tight descending switchbacks when you're putting a lot of lateral weight on the front axle, there is no tire squeaking against the brake arch. It goes where it gets pointed.

Italian biker
    Jan 2007
    How much would the HA be with a 160mm fork?

Regarding this, I have opened a new thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4051247 because I believe there is some confusion around.

mtbr member
    Any guys using Manitou Nixon? Any comment on this fork with Moment?

TIA
    Charles
    2007 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc
    2007 Giant Anthem 3
    2007 Titus Motolite II
    2008 Ellsworth Moment

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There was someone just yesterday who posted his Moment with a Nixon in the "Moment set up" thread