mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! FORK and WHEELSET for '03 ID???

HELP please.....

I am Currently building my 17" 2003 id w/ Romic coil shock w/ 6" of rear travel and need some advise from the experienced ID owners.

My stats:

1.) 200lbs. / 6' tall
    2.) Agressive XC to mild FR style rider. Love the bumps and jumps - Hate the climbs!
    3.) Current bike is an '01 Truth (I may keep it or sell it depending on how well the id rides.)
    4.) Price is not an issue but WEIGHT and DURABILITY are important.
    FORKS- I have narrowed to these two:

1.) Marzocchi ZR-FS-SL w/ 5" of travel and 4.5lbs. or

2.) Marzocchi Z150-FR-SL w/ 6" of travel and 5.2lbs.
    WHEELSETS- narrowed to these two:

1.) Mavic Crossmax XL Disc at 3.96lbs. or

2.) Mavic XM-819 Disc w/ King ISO Disc hubs at 4.08lbs.
    I know there are other options out there, but I am just looking at these right now. Thanks for your knowledge!!

Whitey
    PS. All the weights and lengths are approximate so don't nail me on them

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Shark
    HELP please.....

I am Currently building my 17" 2003 id w/ Romic coil shock w/ 6" of rear travel and need some advise from the experienced ID owners.

My stats:

1.) 200lbs. / 6' tall
    2.) Agressive XC to mild FR style rider. Love the bumps and jumps - Hate the climbs!
    3.) Current bike is an '01 Truth (I may keep it or sell it depending on how well the id rides.)
    4.) Price is not an issue but WEIGHT and DURABILITY are important.
    FORKS- I have narrowed to these two:

1.) Marzocchi ZR-FS-SL w/ 5" of travel and 4.5lbs. or

2.) Marzocchi Z150-FR-SL w/ 6" of travel and 5.2lbs.
    WHEELSETS- narrowed to these two:

1.) Mavic Crossmax XL Disc at 3.96lbs. or

2.) Mavic XM-819 Disc w/ King ISO Disc hubs at 4.08lbs.
    I know there are other options out there, but I am just looking at these right now. Thanks for your knowledge!!

Whitey
    PS. All the weights and lengths are approximate so don't nail me on them
    Go the Mavic KING wheelset its perfection in contrast to the Crossmax set - Add Sapim CX-Ray Ti spokes to save some weight.

As for forks I cannot comment, I would have said the Fox Vanilla but I have not used a zocchi so cannot really comment.

I would match my rear travel with the same amount of travel up front ie 6" fork.

Again, King wheelset for sure!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Trevor,

Thanks for the input! This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

Score: 1 point for the King/Mavic build and O for the Crossmax XL

PS. I will look into the spokes - good idea.

Trail rider and racer
    Trevor,

Thanks for the input! This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

Score: 1 point for the King/Mavic build and O for the Crossmax XL

PS. I will look into the spokes - good idea.
    If you have not got a wheel builder in mind check out larry at http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com he regularly builds up the mavic/king ISO/sapim wheel-sets for folks on these forums.
    Trev!

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    If you have not got a wheel builder in mind check out larry at http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com he regularly builds up the mavic/king ISO/sapim wheel-sets for folks on these forums.
    Now wait a minute. You're an aggressive XC to mild FR and you're going for ti spokes?

Maybe I'm mistaken (quite a strong possibility), but I'd think the crossmaxes are going to be stronger there. FWIW, I own three pairs of Crossmax wheels and haven't had a problem.

I don't own a King set, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I run a Talas RLC on my ID with Crossmax SL Disc wheels. Love the setup.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the input!!!

So the Crossmax SL's are working for you....How much do you weigh and how do you ride? XC FR DH

The Ti spokes were a suggestion made by Trevor. I wlll look into them and make an informed decision based on weight and durability.

FYI, I have not ridden the King/Mavic or the Crossmax. My other bikes are Hope and XTR hubbed with off brand hoops.

Score: 1 point for the Mavic/King and 1 point for the Crossmax.

Keep it comming guys!

aka Willy Vanilly
    I'd go for the King/Mavic set up.

I had a friend w/ older Crossmax's and when things went wrong, replacement parts were quite expensive and had to be special ordered. I'd guess that's the same deal with the newer Mavic wheelsets.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    I weigh about 158. I have the XL in the non-disc version for my Silk Ti, and I haven't had a single problem with them. I've ridden them in Moab, Boise, in the SLC area, etc. with no problems. I do XC and my biggest jumps are maybe 2 feet.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

Hill crawler

My choices were ...

I'm 6', 195 and ride a Medium Id. But I like the climbs and am less aggressive on the jumps and downhills.

So I've got CrossMax XL Disks and Fox Vanilla 125R. But I have to say I picked the Mavics as much 'cause they looked neat. In absolute terms the King setup is probably better but in my 30 years of riding I've never taco-ed a wheel so I'm probably pretty easy on wheels. By the way my setup comes in around 32 pounds - you seem very focussed on weight. If that's the case use the Truth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks guys...you all have great ideas and opinions.

SilkTi - I took a look at the Talus RLC...interesting shock thanks for the advice!

Will8250 - I will need to ask about replacement parts!?!? Thanks for your input.

Truckee - We are practically neighbors, I'm in Roseville just down I-80 and ride Tahoe often. What drew me to the Crossmax XL was the look as well. I like how the spokes make the wheel look sturdy with out the weight penalty.

So for those keeping count it's a tie so far. 2 for the Mav/King and 2 for the Crossmax.

Anybody out there running a Marzocchi fork on the ID??

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkTiSamurai
    Now wait a minute. You're an aggressive XC to mild FR and you're going for ti spokes?

Maybe I'm mistaken (quite a strong possibility), but I'd think the crossmaxes are going to be stronger there. FWIW, I own three pairs of Crossmax wheels and haven't had a problem.

I don't own a King set, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I run a Talas RLC on my ID with Crossmax SL Disc wheels. Love the setup.
    The Sapim Ti spokes are actually very strong and are used by Downhill racers on the DH circut.

While I probably cannot provide much technical detail, I am informed that they are quite sturdy indeed.
    Trev!

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks guys...you all have great ideas and opinions.

SilkTi - I took a look at the Talus RLC...interesting shock thanks for the advice!

Will8250 - I will need to ask about replacement parts!?!? Thanks for your input.

Truckee - We are practically neighbors, I'm in Roseville just down I-80 and ride Tahoe often. What drew me to the Crossmax XL was the look as well. I like how the spokes make the wheel look sturdy with out the weight penalty.

So for those keeping count it's a tie so far. 2 for the Mav/King and 2 for the Crossmax.

Anybody out there running a Marzocchi fork on the ID??
    I don't ride an Id but I do ride a similar long travel trail bike...

I have the XMaxXL wheels and I do like their looks, and they feel quite stiff...BUT
    those swank thick spokes are aluminimum and bend darned easily. The spoke nipples are also alloy but because they have recessed grips they split easy. This leads to a wheel that, for me is prone to ping alot. And my LBS charges $5 ea for replacement spokes. Note: the rear drive side is a different spoke from the rear non-drive side and front spokes.(not including installation and truing. AFAIK Mavic dosen't sell the spokes direct to users. In fact if you have a problem with the rim they strongly encourage you go through your LBS and have them get it serviced. Feh. One other thing is I used to ride a quick engaging hub, going to the mavic hub leaves a lot to be desired when trying to half-stroke through tall rocks. The CKs engage almost instantly b/c they have more pawls than a standard hub. Very nice for technical riding.
    I like the XMaxXLs but next time it'll Mavic rims with CK hubs and standard spokes and nipples.

I also have the 'Zoke fork...it may be heavy but Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmm! It kicks some major arse!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I see the words Freeride and Id in the same sentence and not sure if they were meant to go together. The Id is a beefed up Truth but it was not designed for hucking. I think the Moment would be a better fit for your style of riding, especially at 200#.<p>I'd like to split my vote, i love my Crossmax for how stiff they are, their looks, and tubelessness. But Bikezilla comments on the engagement or lack there of in a 2 pawl Mavic hub have made me decide for when i finally convert to discs i will build a set of King ISOs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    BikeZilla,

Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmm! You hit the nail on the head. This is the exact info I was looking for.

Ratt, you response just came in as I was typing this reply and I have to agree with your assesment on Bike Z's write up. Quick engagement isn't just for pregnant girlfriends!!!!

So the winner is.....King ISO Hubs w/ Mavic XM-819 disc rims! (w/ strong Ti spokes)

Now about the Marzocci Forks. 5" travel Z1-FR-SL or the heavier 6" Z150-FR-SL.... Anyone?
    Life is not a Spectator Sport....Live it!!

Big Whitey

Lay off the Levers
    BikeZilla,

...So the winner is.....King ISO Hubs w/ Mavic XM-819 disc rims! (w/ strong Ti spokes)

Now about the Marzocci Forks. 5" travel Z1-FR-SL or the heavier 6" Z150-FR-SL.... Anyone?
    Lacking any real experience on the Id, my guess would be that if you elect to go for the Cali' edt, with the lower/slacker geometry, you'll be better off with teh 5" Z1. The bike will be more balanced and lighter. The Z150 is a very tempting fork, especially if you are considering the ~6" Id but it still might be more fork than necessary. I think overall it might steepen the HTA and quicken the steering, which could be contrary to what some people look for in a long travel trail bike.

Personally I LOVE my Z1QR20 Coil... and how it matches the Romic. T'hell with the weight There are definately times I wonder if I put the fork on the bike, or if I put the bike on the fork!

Not a Barry supporter.
    I ride an '03 Med Id and I have a Z1 on it. I'm not much for hucking but I know it'll hold up b/c a buddy of mine has the same fork and he's done many, many 8 foot drops. He's 6'4" and about 240 lbs. so he's bigger than you and he's had no problems. So it'll take whatever you can dish out.

I ride with another guy who has the Z150 and it's a bueatiful fork. I think it might be a little too much fork for the Id. Either way, you're gonna love the bike.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK.... Crash and 'Zilla, You both are feeding me the info I need. - Thank you!

Now if I could dig a little deeper?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    Crash, you have the same '03 ID as I do. Is yours set up with the 6" Romic like mine? If so do you notice any issues with the Z1 w/ 5" up front and the Romic w/ 6" in back? Some "experts" say you should match the travel front to back. What is your opinion?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    BikeZilla, Why did you go with the Z1 QR 20 set up vs. the standard Z1 FR SL? You took on aprox. 1/2 lb. in weight did you gain anything in stiffness? Was it a price issue?
    Thanks again for the help from all you guys!!!

**Bonus Question: Will a King ISO Disc hub accomodate a QR 20 axle??
    Life is not a Spectator Sport....Live it!!

Big Whitey

Not a Barry supporter.

Now if I could dig a little deeper?
    Crash, you have the same '03 ID as I do. Is yours set up with the 6" Romic like mine? If so do you notice any issues with the Z1 w/ 5" up front and the Romic w/ 6" in back? Some "experts" say you should match the travel front to back. What is your opinion?
    I have the Romic and I haven't noticed any problems. I think if you were going 6" in back and 2" in front it would be a problem but it's technically only .75" less up front so no big deal. The ride is incredible. Go with the Z1 and you won't be disappointed, nor will you think a lot about the fork. Once it's on there, it's super plush and stiff.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Fork/Wheels Suggestions

I have a 2001 Id, Med size. I'm 6' 235/240 lbs.
    ( and had a 99 and 2000 model Truth before the Id)

* One thing to consider, my Romic is 8" eye to eye, if you're is the same and you add the
    Z150 we are talking BIG BB height, I would think to much.

For my Id I went Z1 FR 5" coil, American Classic Disc wheelset.
    Wheels have been great, I have 32 spoke, if doing again I'd probably go 36
    ( just because I'm going bigger now)

I believe you will find that the AC wheels will be your lightest option... and they have held up very well, plus the crew @ AC is great.

Tell them Frank sent ya.

Lay off the Levers

BikeZilla, Why did you go with the Z1 QR 20 set up vs. the standard Z1 FR SL? You took on aprox. 1/2 lb. in weight did you gain anything in stiffness? Was it a price issue?

My philosophy: Big man, Big fork, Big fun!

Yes the QR20 is heavier...price was not an issue.
    On a trail bike, the stiffness of the QR20 is off the charts...I don't care what anyone tells you, there's no way in hell a standard QR is even in the same ballpark as a 20mm through axle. There's a reason why the FRs and DH'ers will only use "thru's", and it ain't marketing.

I saw a post from somebody in the old forum that said it all: "Help! there's a fork on my bike!"

If you're smooth, or light, or don't bomb through super nasty stuff on a regular basis, than the Z1SL will be MORE than enough. From what I've read it's actually stiffer than the Fox even though the Fox has larger diameter stanchions. (I've even read it's at least as stiff as highly droolwothy super light DC fork out there). But I'm 225#, ride very rough rocky terrain, and often lack the skills I really should have. Especially when I get too tired to nail every line. The QR20 won't let your wheel deflect off of anything smaller than an SUV.

One other consideration, I've read from many people that damping on the coil Z's is nicer. Maybe it's a setup thing, I cannot confirm this from experience, but I can say with confidence that mine is absolutely consistent feeling regardless of the speed or size of the hits, and masks bottom-outs to the point I really don't notice it.

That said, the QR20 could possibly be more fork than you'll need. The SL is an outstanding fork, and a hell of a lot lighter.

Last point, the QR20 pretty much requires a 8" rotor, and quite possibly need a caliper adaptor. If you do get one, I recommend going with GRC (Gravity Racing Components) They are inexpensive and backed by a guy who'll treat you like he lived next door.

I believe the King ISO Disk hub has a through axel option. Check the CK website but... I think it's just a matter of the end caps, the actual hub cavity is already big enough. I know it's that way with my XMaxXL It comes with both, skewer and 20mm-through end caps.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 04-22-2004 at 10:27 AM.

Drugstore Trailrider
    I have the 17" 2003 ID with the Romic shock.

I use wheels built with CK IsoDisc hubs and Mavic XM819 rims. THEY ARE GREAT.

I know you have already ruled it out, but I use the Manitou Sherman Firefly 130/90mm SPV fork, and it is also ideal. The bike weighs 31 lbs.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!