mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Fork Advice for Truth

Hey all,
    I just purchased a 16" Truth and want to know what fork you guys would recommend.
    The problem I am having is that there are so many forks out there.
    Leaning towards a Fox float or Sid.
    Flex isn't an issue for me because I weight 130Lbs.
    My riding style is mainly XC
    Should I go with a 100mm over 80?
    I don't know how the extra 20mm affects the geometry of the bike but if you have any input, I would appreciate it greatly. I also just purchased a 120mm stem to go with the bike.
    Best and thanks.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by CharikoMoFo!
    Hey all,
    I just purchased a 16" Truth and want to know what fork you guys would recommend.
    The problem I am having is that there are so many forks out there.
    Leaning towards a Fox float or Sid.
    Flex isn't an issue for me because I weight 130Lbs.
    My riding style is mainly XC
    Should I go with a 100mm over 80?
    I don't know how the extra 20mm affects the geometry of the bike but if you have any input, I would appreciate it greatly. I also just purchased a 120mm stem to go with the bike.
    Best and thanks.
    100 mm, light as possible if you don't ride aggressively.

sock puppet
    yep, 100mm...

anything less is uncivilized...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ride a medium Truth but I am not much heavier than you. I would go with a 100 mm shock on this bike, as others noted. I haven't used a SID but the Fox 100RLC I'm using so far is very smooth, stiff, and reliable so far. Out of curiousity, I looked up the fork length at the Ellsworth site for the Truth: 18.7" (475 mm), I assume this is axel to crown. So you'll want a fork that is close to that. On the other hand, I'm considering an 80 mm SID for an old hardtail I have, since most other modern forks are too long for my hardtail frame.

I have long monkey arms and ran a 120 mm stem last fall but I think I was stretched out a little too far. I just put a 90 mm stem to try if that would help on downhills while not affecting climbing.

Time is not a road.
    Rock Shox will give you more bang for your buck. I'd get a Reba...high and low speed compression damping - standard; nice and tuneable.

The Marzocchi Corsa is a hot looking fork, too. Though, it's a bit of an unkown quantity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use a 100mm R7 fork on mine and love it. The 07 snap valve technology is better than 06. I had a 100mm Minute 2 on it but wanted to shave some weight. I can tell a vast difference between 80 and 100mm.
    Last edited by chtennant; 04-17-2007 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Reba's
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by chtennant
    I use a 100mm R7 fork on mine and love it. The 07snap valve technology is better than 06. I had a 100mm Minute 2 on it but wanted so shave some weight. I can tell a vast difference between 80 and 100mm.
    That '08 Manitou stuff is looking nice. I hope the quality is there; I see they're moving production back to the States (I'm all for this!).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just bought a 07 Reba World Cup on ebay for a REALLY good price.
    Without the advice from you guys I may have gone with a 80mm fork, which may have been ok since I only ride XC but I realized that I can always move down to 80mm but can never move up if I wanted to. I can't wait because I have only heard good things about this fork.
    Thanks dudes!