mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Float or RP3 for XC Racing on an Evolve?

Which option is the better option? Is the RP3 needed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Propedal R versus RP23

Hey - choice seems to depend on what type of person you are - are you the kind of rider who rarely or NEVER tweaks your suspension or uses any lockouts of any sort (even though you have them), or are you the type that would take any advantage of having the added adjustability of the RP23? The great thing about any 4 bar Ells is that the bike is already SUPER efficient, and the custom valved propedal Float R performs KILLER as well, especially on such a great frame - so do you need the added adjustability? I dont' necessarily think so........BUT - for the extra $75 its certainly not a bad thing - if the price difference were more I think it would change things - I've sold MANY Ellsworths for almost 10 years now, and since the into. of the Epiphany ('06ish) I've had a few clients tell me even though it wasn't much to upgrade to an RP3/23, the frame is efficient enough that it doesn't even need it!! -J

For a good time, check out http://www.jbmountainbikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've owned several Truths and bought an Evolve because I think Ells four bar ride is fantastic. I moved to the Evolve from an Asylum/Racer-X and the Evolve could be named BOB compared to the Asylum. With that said I sold the Asylum and kept the Evolve because of the ride. I bought an RP23 within the last month, but have zero time on it (winter has come to Montana). Without a doubt I would run an Propedal on it to race.
    This is one opinion and others may vary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    af73 just realized I've "talked" to you about my Evolve before so sorry for the redundant historical summary but yeah and RP23 seems like a good idea for racing and you can leave it "open" as the event progresses where cush comfort may supersede efficiency.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ah yes!

we have "talked" before! I went ahead and purchased an evolve this week. It arrived two days later from Ellsworth and I built it up the night I got it. I got the rp23 so I'm pretty excited about that! Winter has come here too so I'm bummed about that, but it dries out in salt lake during the winter in the valley so i'll get some time on it soon. What setup do you have on your evolve and how light is it? Built with heavy crankset, brakes, cassette, bar, stem, and pedals mine came in at 28.2 pounds. So I've got some work cut out for me (i'm getting back to race shape now) and my machine (want to lose 2 pounds). I already have light wheels so it's up to the rest of those heavier parts. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I flip the lever before every climb on my Evolve. You will like the RP23.

Your bike came 2 days after ordering Mine took 8 months

Don't see many Evolves so share pics when you have a chance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

it did come fast!

I'm excited to get some time on it for sure! what parts did you do to lighten yours up? mine is kinda portly and i think we have similar wheels...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

On or Off ?

Since we are talking about rp3 and rp 23 . I just thought about it now , I ride with my rp23 on on most of the time and flip it off going down . Should I be riding it on off most of the time and just flip it on on when going up . For the rp23 users , how do you ride it most of the time ? off or on ?

mtbr member
    Here is the breakdown for my build:

The first day it left the shop it weighed 26.8 lbs. At the time it had a cheap stem & QR, ODI lock on grips, and Bontrager Jones tires. May have shaved some off the initial build but haven't weighed it since. I built mine XC weight conscious and longevity in mind. For a race bike you could probably save a little more. Please keep me posted on your final build.

Fork Pace RC29 S100
    Pedals XTR M970
    Fr. Brakes Hope Mono Mini 180mm '07
    Rr. Brake Hope Mono Mini 160mm '07
    Cranks Shimano M970 180mm
    Stem EA90 aluminum 10D 31.8 120
    Handlebar Salsa PRO Moto Carbon Flat bat
    Grips ESI Chunky Fuel
    Shifters Shimano SL-M970
    Derailleur FR Shimano XTR FD-M971
    RR Shimano XTR 971-SGS
    Headset Chris King No Thread 1-1/8 (Gold w/ Green top cap)
    Seatpost Thompson Elite Masterpiece 27.2 x 330
    Cassette Shimano CS-M970
    Chain SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin
    Saddle WTB Devo SLT
    Rims ZTR Arch 29er (Black)
    ZTR Arch 29er (Black)
    Hubs FR Chris King ISO Disc (Gold )
    RR Chris King ISO Disc (Gold )
    Spokes FR DT Revolution 2.0/1.5 (Black) x 32
    RR DT Revolution 2.0/1.5 (Black) x 32
    Tires Maxxis Crossmark (F/R)
    Nipples DT Swiss 2.0 x 12mm (Gold) Alloy
    QR Wheels Salsa Ti
    QR Seatpost Salsa Ti

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Float R

I have been riding mine with the Float R for about a year. I switched to a RP23 for a long race just a month ago. The race involved long fire road climbs. I liked the RP23 for the long steady climbs but when I got home I switched back to the Float. The Float is plenty efficiant. The fork lock-out is all the lock-out that is really needed in my opinion. The rear just isn't needed.