The Ancient One

First rides on new Calif. edition Id

Well, after riding my '01 Truth hard almost 365 days a year for almost 3 years, I decided it was time to retire it and went for the Id with free '05 Talas fork from BeyondBikes.

I got it with the a 7.5" Float R. The BB measures out at 13.75 with the bike unloaded. That's with Nokian 2.1 tires. The head angle is around 69 degrees and the seat tube angle is about 70.

This is a medium and my old Truth was a large. So this bike has better standover and is only a tiny bit harder to mount with the half inch or so higher BB.

I thought about putting a shorter i to i shock on an Id to remedy the high BB problem some time ago, but I didn't think it was allowable because the suspension goes about 1/3 of an inch farther into its travel this way. But it turns out to be permitted and works fine.

After a short but hard ride on a very rocky jeep trail where I often have taken the Truth I'm ready to make a comparison: the Id does everything better.

That one inch increase in travel makes more difference than I expected in smoothing out the terrain. There's no weight penalty in my case because I had a Romic in the rear and a Vanilla in the front on the Truth. The air shocks front and rear on the Id more than make up for the heavier frame. And to tell the truth these air shocks seem to be plusher and better damped than the old coil ones. But it may just be the extra travel.

Anyway so far so good.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I've never ridden a Truth, but I've had my Id for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. I have a Romic with a Z1 up front. I can clear almost any log out there. I've clears almost a 3' tree on the trail b/4. I love the high BB. And the Id just eats up rock gardens. I've never seen a pic of the Cali-Edition Id. Can you post one? I'm curious to see what the main difference is. It has a lower BB and a slacker top tube...correct?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I've never ridden a Truth, but I've had my Id for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. I have a Romic with a Z1 up front. I can clear almost any log out there. I've clears almost a 3' tree on the trail b/4. I love the high BB. And the Id just eats up rock gardens. I've never seen a pic of the Cali-Edition Id. Can you post one? I'm curious to see what the main difference is. It has a lower BB and a slacker top tube...correct?
    I don't have a digital camera available at the moment but I'll post some diagrams I worked up on the Linkage program prior to buying the bike. The top picture is basically your bike. It's based on the picture in the Ellsworth catalogue. It had Romic rear, Z1 up front, and 2.3 tires. The bottom picture is approximately what I figured the Calif. edition would look like with Fox 130 fork and, 7.5 i to i rear shock, and 2.1 tires. In fact the actual bike has a quarter inch lower BB than my diagram predicted.
    Attached Images Attached Images