mtbr member
    Sep 2005

First ride 2011 evolve!

Received my new 2011 evolve last week....lbs built up the bike right away and on to the scale:

12.5 k= 27.5 pounds w/ mostly X9, no pedals , very light "loaded brand "components and 2011 Fox F29
    the crankarm supplied was a lower end SRAM to meet the lower end price point on the bike around $ 3995

Did not mount the supplied kenda nevegal back tire only front, opted for a lot less rolling res. from a conty 2.2 Mtn King, more like a 2.0 or even 1.9 sized thread...!

Still playing around the sag setting on the rp23 BV rear shock as I seem to be getting some bob in the suspension that probably should not be there....comming fr. a 2007-08 Niner rip 9 I know what a great pedaling FS 29er should behave and the first ride on the 11 evolve did not dissapoint.....

The geo on this frame is what I would call the "very nimble side of neutral" not an All-Mtn rig in any way, extremely precise front end but you can really feel that 72.5 front end when you go over a drop!!!! Still that huge front wheel is there to get you out of trouble, maybe not the best bike for extreme drops...Jumps small bumps no problem, 18.2 stays make front wheel lifts harder that on other 29ers, but probably helps a great deal w/ stability given the extreme angles!!!

Where I really got my kicks, and the REAL reason I ordered this bike is to CLIMB....steep, rutted , washed out uphill singletrack....here is where it really KICKS SOME A$$...that 72.5 front end , plus the 74 seat angle , active suspension and ridgid steering chasis made climbing fun and easy...the greater the challenge, the better it climbed....

Still have some cockpit issues to sort out and refinning the shock pressures...Let me know if you have any ????

Later...Got to ride this singletrack rocket!!!

Ride and Smile suckas
    Thank you for the review. Keep them coming after you get a few more rides on that baby. And I guess I will be the first (I am sure not the last to ask...) Picture please.

Climbs like a goat... Downhill like a ..... well get good brakes on this bike...
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Uh.....Pictures Please

[QUOTE=steel-s-real]Received my new 2011 evolve last week....lbs built up the bike right away and on to the scale:

Quit holding out and post some pic's

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not "holding out" on Pic's , ....I keep getting "upload fail" messages fr. the attachment function on this forum....

The bike is exactly the same as the evolve on the ellsworth page, all black w/ silver rocker

Sorry....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    OK....Just checked the pic's I took are too High Res. ...!

I'll re-set the camera and have fresh pic's by next ride....

Ride and Smile suckas
    Must be raining???
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My brother in law and I are building his new 2010 Evolve tomorrow with XX components. I'm not sure whose more excited but I'm stoked! Hopefully we will be riding Sunday.

I ordered my wife a 2011 purple Evolve that should be here mid March.

We're new to the 29ers but I'm sure this Evolve wont disappoint. Now when we ride, I will be drooling over their Evolves from my Epiphany (Not that I'm complaining one bit!).

We'll post some pic's when we're done with the build.
    2009 Black Ellsworth Epiphany built to my spec's...