mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Fifteenth Annual Ellsworth Jam Kicks off in Moab

Fifteenth Annual Ellsworth Jam Kicks off in Moab

MOAB, Utah—Nearly 50 Ellsworth owners from around the world are converging this weekend for Ellsworth’s 15th annual owners gathering.

After a welcome reception last night at the Ellsworth Compound (a hijacked condo complex), riders met up this morning as the sun was just coming up for a breakfast catered by Escape Adventures, the tour group run by Moab Cyclery.

After a hot breakfast of pancakes, sausage, fresh fruit and coffee the Ellsworth Convoy headed out to ride Klondike Bluff.

The weekend’s events include Ellsworth group rides Saturday and Sunday and two group dinners. Tonight the Ellsworth owners will converge on Moab Cyclery owner Jonny Hymas’ house for dinner and dirt jumps.

"I’ve been coming here for 30 years, every November since I was a student at BYU,” Tony Ellsworth said. “I call it my pilgrimage, and now with children and a business to run and a mortgage to pay, it’s only down to once a year. Over time I’ve invited friends and it’s just sort of evolved into this. We've capped the attendence at 50 because we like keeping it personal.”

Hanging out with the group for the weekend are Ellsworth-sponsored pro riders Josh Bender and Monique Sawicki (who graces the latest cover of Mountain Bike).

"We’re all just here riding as friends,” said Ellsworth vice president Dave Wisenteiner, who announced the days activities at breakfast and introduced the pro riders and thanked all the Ellsworth owners for making the trip out.

Wisenteiner said that Ellsworth runs three other events throughout the season for Ellsworth owners to come and ride. He said the other trips—in Idaho, New Mexico and on Utah’s White Rim Trail—are usually smaller, more intimate groups, including Tony Ellsworth.

“We’re glad you’re all here and thank you for being an Ellsworth customer,” Wisenteiner said to the assembled group. “You’re the only group of customers I know of that are willing to spend your vacation with us."

Wisenteiner introduced “the fastest woman in the world,” Monique Sawick, to the group this morning. “She just won the Endurance 100 in Park City, where she set a new course record and beat every man on the course but the overall winner, so if you’re interested in racing going fast or just getting your ass kicked, then talk to her.”

Josh Bender came to Moab for the event from Keystone, Colorado, where he has been helping cut trails for the mountain’s new mountain bike park. “We’ve already got one trail done and another half finished,” Bender said. “The one trail has 23 jumps and 21 table tops 15- to 25-feet long. By next year we’ll have six more trails cut.”

Marc Barros of Twenty20 Helmet Cameras also showed up at the event to wire Ellsworth group riders.

Check back next week for a complete weekend wrap-up, pictures and helmet camera footage.
    Last edited by Bikewanker; 10-22-2006 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like good fun, hopefully I'll get to one of these.

That new 29er looks hot, must be awesome having your name on a bike. Loving your work Ellsworth.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to somemore pics

Elitest thrill junkie
    How ironic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikewanker
    “We’re glad you’re all here and thank you for being an Ellsworth customer,” Wisenteiner said to the assembled group. “You’re the only group of customers I know of that are willing to spend your vacation with us."
    ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bikewanker
    Josh Bender came to Moab for the event from Keystone, Colorado, where he has been helping cut trails for the mountain’s new mountain bike park. “We’ve already got one trail done and another half finished,” Bender said. “The one trail has 23 jumps and 21 table tops 15- to 25-feet long. By next year we’ll have six more trails cut.”
    How is this relevant to the Ellsworth event? But cool, Keystone is gonna have more trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    ?????

How is this relevant to the Ellsworth event? But cool, Keystone is gonna have more trails.
    Why the negativity man?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bender

Hey Josh Bender was just probably telling everybody what he is been up to since his injuries. I had a chance to spend some quality time with Bender this past year and the guy is a class act, very underrated in my book. He was throwing down huge stuff when everybody else were still going small. His passion and inspiration serve to evolve what freeride riding has become. And he has sold a ton of Ellsworth bikes in the same time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    How ironic.
    How predictable

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hey Jayem

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    How ironic.
    Its getting a bit old

Why aren't you riding????
    Quote Originally Posted by gkler
    Hey Josh Bender was just probably telling everybody what he is been up to since his injuries. I had a chance to spend some quality time with Bender this past year and the guy is a class act, very underrated in my book. He was throwing down huge stuff when everybody else were still going small. His passion and inspiration serve to evolve what freeride riding has become. And he has sold a ton of Ellsworth bikes in the same time.

he has??????