mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Evolve test ride

Last week I got to spend a bit of time on the new Evolve so I thought I'd jot my musings on the experience.

To put this review in context here's some background on me and the type of riding I do. My current bikes are an Enlightenment (winter bike), a Truth (race bike), and an Id (for fun!) - all medium size. I race for the Freeborn Ellsworth team (UK Ells distrubutor - that may invalidate my impartiality ;-)) - mostly point-to-point enduros and 24hr races, but also some shorter XC stuff . Other riding is typical UK stuff with trips out to Europe when I need some bigger climbs! This was my first time on a 29er, so I can only compare the Evolve to my current rides.

My test ride was about 4 hours (approx 50 miles) over trails that I ride at least a couple of times a month. 50% was road and fire road, with the other 50% being forest singletrack, all told there was about 1,000m of climbing. Conditions were muddy under-wheel, but crisp and clear in the sky - about as perfect as it gets in the UK at this time of year. The Evolve was a medium frame set up with SRAM X9, Avid Juicys, a Reba Race 29er, and an Industry nine/Salsa wheel build. I didn't have a chance to weigh the Evolve, but I'm guessing that it was about 3lb heavier than my Truth.

So how was it for me?! My main impression was that the bike needed more heft to control than my Truth - in fact I would say that in general it felt closer to my Id than to my Truth. Another rider had exactly the same observation - the bike needed more "body language" to control it in singletrack, but once you get used to this it is seriously quick, particularly in flowing singletrack with the big wheels making short work of roots and rocks, and the bike sticking comfortably to your chosen line. In really tight singletrack, however, I found it harder work than my Truth, with the extra effort required to get the bike up to speed after each turn sapping strength over time.

Going downhill the bike was fast and assured - it certainly didn't ride like it only had 80mm of travel at the front. My biggest surprise of the day came when I took the Evolve down a steep, slippy bit of singletrack with numerous roots, rocks, and drop-offs. For no particular reason I thought that it would feel very sketchy, but actually the big wheels allowed me to roll down stuff in a much more controlled manner than my normal bikes.

Uphill I found the 29er experience much less convincing. My longest climb of the day was a 10 minute up-hill drag on road and fire road, and the extra weight of the Evolve certainly made itself felt. Some of this is down to the components - the build up was more trail than race, but there's always going to be a weight penalty with 29ers because of the bigger wheels and their requirements on the frame. Steep technical climbs were also harder with the front end having a tendancy to wander more than on the Truth - a negative rise stem would probably help with this.

So will I be racing on an Evolve next season? An interesting question. Probably not - mostly because I think that for the majority of events that I race my Truth would be quicker, but if I had a larger garage it would certainly be nice to have one to bring out for courses that were flat and fast. For point-to-point enduros I could see how an Enlightenment 29er could offer many of the advantages of the Evolve without so much of a weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks - thats interesting,

I don't think I'll be parting with my Epiphany just yet...

I'm still unsure about this whole 29er thing.....

Even if I did get one I think it would be a HT and not a FS...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes, thanks for the information. I am actually looking for more data on the Evolve. I already am a very big fan of the 29er, having been riding a 29er SS for some time...and have a Enlightenment 29er on order. I to have found the 29er to be extremely stable going downhill.

Looking forward to the Enlightenment 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for posting this. I was about to pull the trigger on a Evolve order the other day but am waiting for more reviews to pop up. I'm mostly looking for a good endurance racing bike for 12hr solos and stage races like TransRockies. I keep thinking I want the Evolve, but really don't know if I want that extra weight as you said. I'd get the Enlightenment 29er in a heartbeat if I wasn't afraid the HT may beat me to hell after a week of 8 to 10 hour days. Even with a Thudbuster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I raced the TransAlp this year - events like this are won on the uphills, so weight is key. I used my Truth, but if I was doing the event again I would take the Enlightenment. From what I hear from people who have done both the TransAlp and the TransRockies the TR has more singletrack and technical riding, so a Truth might be better - and of course there is the fatigue factor!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks xcjez, I did end up ordering an Evolve frame, but I already have my wife prepared for the possibility of me selling it and buying a Truth instead. We'll see.... it's been one of those things that I talk myself into and out of every day. And, with no disrespect to your comments, it seems that the longer I look online for the "answer" the more conflicting opinions you read. Although I have to admit, hearing a guy sponsored by Ellsworth poo-poo the bike was a bit surpprising. Good for you for being so honest! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In the interests of continuing to have some sponsorship next year I should point out that I thought that the Evolve was a very nice bike My reservations were around whether it would be faster than my Truth for the majority of race courses that I visit. I suspect that the results would be fairly neutral - in fairness if 29ers were quicker I'm sure you'd see the majority of pro's on them already!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts - when will yours be arriving?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    LOL! Mine should hopefully get here sometime in early to mid January, but I'm sure everyone else who pre-ordered one is hoping the same thing. We'll see. You're right about the whole 29er and the pro rider thing, although it does seem that for some of the longer races that there is a slight switch being made, at least by the taller riders. I don't know, I don't have the answer for that. I just know I was going to buy an Ellsworth regardless and that I wanted to try something new. If it ends up not being what I hope for, I'll sell the frame and fork, take a small loss in the sake of gaining knowledge, and buy the Truth.