mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Evolve Owners...sizing?

I'm 6'3" with a 35" true inseam. So a balanced leg vs. torso ratio. I am coming off of a Large Gary Fisher Supercaliber. The SC had a 25.7" effective top tube but had a short 110mm stem. I used a straight seatpost (no setback).

Would I be better fit on a L (22") evolve with a 25.5" effective top tube or...would a M (20") evolve with a 24.7" top tube and a longer stem be better? What have you guys found with the cockpit of your evolve's? There are none out here to demo...

Thanks,
    Af72

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by af73
    I'm 6'3" with a 35" true inseam. So a balanced leg vs. torso ratio. I am coming off of a Large Gary Fisher Supercaliber. The SC had a 25.7" effective top tube but had a short 110mm stem. I used a straight seatpost (no setback).

Would I be better fit on a L (22") evolve with a 25.5" effective top tube or...would a M (20") evolve with a 24.7" top tube and a longer stem be better? What have you guys found with the cockpit of your evolve's? There are none out here to demo...

Thanks,
    Af72
    I'm 6"3" with 1 extra inch in the inseam. XL 22" without a doubt for me...including a setback seatpost and a 130mm stem. I didn't have an Evolve to ride but had a loaner (L) Epiphany that was to cramped. Ask your dealer for a demo Truth or Ephiphany and it should give you a better idea on frame size.

In my experience Gary Fishers tend to run bigger (true to size) while Ellsworths run smaller.

Are you anywhere near S.Cal ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks!

Sad to say I am not, I am in Utah and I went to the local Ellsworth dealer and they didn't have any evolves. They do have epiphany's in stock; however, they told me that Evolves are 3/4" longer per size in effective top tube length. I decided I need a large though (22"). How do you like the evolve? I'm planning on building it up as a cross country, marathon, 24 hour racer. What type of riding have you done on the bike and how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Last year they called the 22Ē XL. Ellsworth must have realized the sizing was misleading. Based on your dimensions the 22Ē is the frame I would have suggested. I ride XC and tend to gravitate toward dry, rocky, single-track climbs and built my Evolve accordingly. Never done any 24 hour races but I can tell you Iíve never felt more comfortable or less fatigued after riding. That includes my routine backyard loop of 9.4 miles and weekend rides of 15+. Finished building the bike last June and havenít second-guessed my purchase once. Great bike!

Pics last June before it touched dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (388.8 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (266.3 KB, 215 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (246.7 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (205.1 KB, 211 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (171.6 KB, 210 views)

mtbr member
    some more
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 6' 1/4" with an 85cm inseam and I went with a Med. It fits nicely. I think you are on the border between the Med. and L. Love my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the pics, they are awesome! I would agree with you, I actually ended up getting the L since the Ellsworth website specs are off. I ordered the smoke color, what color is y ours? any pics?

mtbr member
    That is an absolutely bad @ss ride Tanin!!! I bought a nebula blue Epiphany early this summer. It is a sweet riding rig.

Do you like the wheelset??? I just ordered one from notubes.com that is similar to yours. 29er Arch Rims, Gold Hope Pro II hubs(SS rear), DT Supercomp spokes and Gold nipples. Gonna put em on a 07 Kona Unit 2-9 SS I just picked up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN

Do you like the wheelset??? I just ordered one from notubes.com that is similar to yours. 29er Arch Rims, Gold Hope Pro II hubs(SS rear), DT Supercomp spokes and Gold nipples. Gonna put em on a 07 Kona Unit 2-9 SS I just picked up.
    Very happy with the wheels. Good balance of weight and strength. Little issue in the begining running them tubeless until I doubled up the tape. After that they were great. Unfortunately, I tweaked the front wheel on my last night ride that resulted in a blown tire and 12ft. superman endo. Liked the wheel enough that I ordered another Arch and having it built up this week.

mtbr member
    Wow, a 12ft endo. That sounds like a pretty crazy crash! Thanks for the feedback on the wheelset. Hopefully mine will come in the mail today. I have been checking non-stop the last week. I can't wait till they get here!