mtbr member
    Nov 2009

evolve or mach 429

Hi All,

im considering buying one of these 2 bikes. coming from a road background i assumed i would just get the 429 as the dw-link suspension is super firm when out of the saddle. however i just test rode an evolve and was blown away. i expected more pedal bob but there wasnt any. in fact i didnt even think about the rear suspension. very impressive.

i am 5'9" and 155lbs. i will be riding mostly cross-country in norcal. i have been thinking of a small frame and the standover on the ellsworth is less than the pivot.

any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'0" and 155 lbs and gave a size large evolve 2012 sst.2.... I love it. It's great on the trails and I ride the road a lot in the morning before work... I think with your height you could get a medium frame, but would highly recommend the evolve!
    "A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish." - Zen philosopher Basha

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks C Booty....interesting you ride your evolve on the road...no pedal bob or loss of efficiency?

mtbr member
    This was not only my first 29er, but also my first full suspension. I'd been riding hard tails for the past twenty years or so.. I have to give a lot of credit to my local bike shop for making me ride the bike around the block 10 times and adjusting the shocks each time to make them perfect before I took it home. Weighing about the same as you, we put 140 lbs of air in the rear shock. I don't notice any pedal bob, loss of efficiency, or any difference at all from my hard tail - including steep climbing. However, I did notice a huge difference in the woods with the rear shock sucking up any impact. I couldn't be happier with the evolve.
    "A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish." - Zen philosopher Basha

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fantastic thank you for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At 5'9" you will most likely need a medium frame. Fit the frame according to the top tube, not the standover height and your riding position will be more optimal.

The rear suspension is not only great for the bumps but also makes the bike climb much better due to better traction. That coupled with the efficient ICT pedaling platform makes Ells great climbing bikes.

The DW-Link is a great climber too. It's very firm for climbing and out of saddle sprinting but it does not feel as plush as ICT going down the hill. The DW does track better though because it makes a stiffer rear end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Also 5'9"

Blaireau - I agree with ahimanic, I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and the Medium fits perfect (zero offset seatpost/90mm stem). I own the SST1 frame, and I extensively demoed the Pivot 429, Turner Sultan (Owned 3 TNT/HL Turners), Specialized Epic, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Salsa Spearfish, Fisher Hi Fi and Titus RX29. IMHO, the Tallboy was the best full suspension 29r I have ridden to date, the Evolve is a very close second. I elected to go with Evolve as I ride in the desert with lots of loose rock/chunk, and I did not want to worry about frame damage or failure. Many will claim that it is not an issue with the Tallboy, but from what I learned from Calfee CF Bikes, (the only carbon fiber repair shop in the USA), they currently have a backlog that is in the months for CF road and mountain bike repairs. The new aluminum Tallboy is reportedly heavier than the Evolve and is not as stiff as its CF older brother. Lastly, many talk about the rear-end of the Evolve to be flexy. I weight more than you and I spent numerous hours riding all of the above-referenced bikes. The Evolve to me was every bit as stiff front to back as the Pivot, Turner, Salsa, Fisher, and stiffer laterally than the Specialized. I am a pretty finicky rider and owned over 20 bikes in a 15 year period. The Evolve fits great, rides great, and after months of ownership, I no longer have upgradeitis and bike envy. Bottom line, according numerous reviews of each bike, the mtbr community has recognized the Evolve and 429 as "Best Of' for 2010. To me it really comes down to the ride of DW Link and ICT.

Good Luck - CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic View Post
    At 5'9" you will most likely need a medium frame. Fit the frame according to the top tube, not the standover height and your riding position will be more optimal.

The rear suspension is not only great for the bumps but also makes the bike climb much better due to better traction. That coupled with the efficient ICT pedaling platform makes Ells great climbing bikes.

The DW-Link is a great climber too. It's very firm for climbing and out of saddle sprinting but it does not feel as plush as ICT going down the hill. The DW does track better though because it makes a stiffer rear end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Follow-Up

I forgot to mention that I could not get the 429 to fit. The small has a 23" ETT and the Medium is 24". The medium 429 stand over height was a deal killer and the bike felt much longer in the top tube than the Evolve.

Best - CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Blaireau - I agree with ahimanic, I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and the Medium fits perfect (zero offset seatpost/90mm stem). I own the SST1 frame, and I extensively demoed the Pivot 429, Turner Sultan (Owned 3 TNT/HL Turners), Specialized Epic, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Salsa Spearfish, Fisher Hi Fi and Titus RX29. IMHO, the Tallboy was the best full suspension 29r I have ridden to date, the Evolve is a very close second. I elected to go with Evolve as I ride in the desert with lots of loose rock/chunk, and I did not want to worry about frame damage or failure. Many will claim that it is not an issue with the Tallboy, but from what I learned from Calfee CF Bikes, (the only carbon fiber repair shop in the USA), they currently have a backlog that is in the months for CF road and mountain bike repairs. The new aluminum Tallboy is reportedly heavier than the Evolve and is not as stiff as its CF older brother. Lastly, many talk about the rear-end of the Evolve to be flexy. I weight more than you and I spent numerous hours riding all of the above-referenced bikes. The Evolve to me was every bit as stiff front to back as the Pivot, Turner, Salsa, Fisher, and stiffer laterally than the Specialized. I am a pretty finicky rider and owned over 20 bikes in a 15 year period. The Evolve fits great, rides great, and after months of ownership, I no longer have upgradeitis and bike envy. Bottom line, according numerous reviews of each bike, the mtbr community has recognized the Evolve and 429 as "Best Of' for 2010. To me it really comes down to the ride of DW Link and ICT.

Good Luck - CDIDriver

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    BrooklynGhost i am sorry to hear about your knee situation. i hope that somehow you make it back out there! after much research i ended up ordering an evolve...cant wait. thank you again for your offer...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ahimanic and CDIDriver,
    thank you for your suggestions re sizing. i ended up ordering an evolve. ultimately i thought the evolve was a more efficient climber than the 429..also i never experienced any flex issues with the evolve. now working on the build...any suggestions re the fork? im looking for something light with remote lock-out..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rock Shox SID

If you are looking for a light 29r fork, the Rock Shox SID is probably the lightest 29r suspension fork available. I have owned Fox Float RLC, RLT, Talas RLC, Rock Shox Revelation in 26" configuration and 05' Reba Race, and 09 Reba Team TA 20 in 29r configuration. I prefer the Rock Shox products because the positive and negative chambers allow a wider range of tuning and the travel seems to me to be more progressive. Also, the Rock Shox products are straight forward to rebuild and perform more consistently between rebuilds. The Fox products may have better small bump response, but I thought fox forx would blow through the travel too easy or be too harsh. My opinion only.

Good Luck - CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by blaireau View Post
    ahimanic and CDIDriver,
    thank you for your suggestions re sizing. i ended up ordering an evolve. ultimately i thought the evolve was a more efficient climber than the 429..also i never experienced any flex issues with the evolve. now working on the build...any suggestions re the fork? im looking for something light with remote lock-out..

wc1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    any of you Evolve riders ride North East type trails with the Evolve?
    i'm in NJ and our trails are ROCKY and ROOTY with TIGHT hairpin turns.
    i can't seem to find a test ride in this area but i'm VERY interested in another Ellsworth.
    i have 2 TRUTH's now and love them.

wc1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks but if i change bikes it will be for bigger hoops. want to buy 2 Truths's

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    CDIDriver,
    Thank you for the information on forks. The guys that i am working with tend to like fox so i will suggest looking at the rockshox sid. Any feeling on the lefty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think that the lefty's are awesome. Everyone that I know that rides one swears by them. Will it rake out the front end too much? Don't get me wrong with Fox Forx, I think that Fox products kick A, however the forks can be finicky to set up and can run poorly if they need servicing. Lastly, as mentioned previously, I have been told that they are more difficult to rebuild.

CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by blaireau View Post
    CDIDriver,
    Thank you for the information on forks. The guys that i am working with tend to like fox so i will suggest looking at the rockshox sid. Any feeling on the lefty?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    CDIDriver,
    thank you again for your input on forks. it does seem that the leftys have a substantial fan club. the fork is light and stiff...im just wondering if the traditionalist in me can get over the unique look!...would it be incongruous on an ellsworth....? decisions decisions....

mtbr member
    I have a fox RLC 100 that came with my evolve build and have been very happy with it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by C Booty View Post
    I'm 6'0" and 155 lbs and gave a size large evolve 2012 sst.2.... I love it. It's great on the trails and I ride the road a lot in the morning before work... I think with your height you could get a medium frame, but would highly recommend the evolve!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    For some reason the lefty stans golds wheels set vibrates when going hi-speed if you release the bars. Mine came at 22.6 lbs with pedals. The only bad thing is the lack of water cage inside the frame. I put one specialized side cage in the frame drilling holes and came perfect.
    Cheers!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails evolve or mach 429-dsc01953.jpg  

evolve or mach 429-dsc01982.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    upps sorry about the dopper with yellow jersey on the back!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I see you use a lightest and softest cranks on the planet. After i install xtr instead of Extralite the ride became funny and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by emejiat View Post
    For some reason the lefty stans golds wheels set vibrates when going hi-speed if you release the bars. Mine came at 22.6 lbs with pedals. The only bad thing is the lack of water cage inside the frame. I put one specialized side cage in the frame drilling holes and came perfect.
    Cheers!!!!