mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Evolve or Evolution?

These two bikes are very close, so it is hard to make a decision! I've heard that the Evolution is almost as efficient as the Evolve for pedaling but more comfortable going down as expected...
    I want to change my trail bike (a 2006 Epiphany) and would like a bike faster going up and more agile but at the same time different from my every day bike (a hardtail 29er). I'm 6'1 and I always found my large Epi on the truck side for me...

IPT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'll be watching this thread. I have read same as you and I am leaning toward the Evolution. My g/f got an Evolve last year and she loves it! I'm 6'2 and all my bikes have been XL's but my builder is telling me Ellsworth is recommending a large for me in the Evolution. I'm coming off a GF Cake 2 dlx with 4.5 inches of travel.

I am having a tough time splitting the hairs between these two but I think you can't go wrong with either one.

mtbr member
    I went with a Evolve with a Talas on it.
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

IPT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    LOL - I went with the Evolution. Too much snow here to ride so i guess next spring we'll see if I like the choice. How do you like the Evolve?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Evolve

I went with the Evolution due to the trails I ride and my desire to sit and spin more in rough trails. I have ridden it for 2 months now and will post a review soon. The bike steers and tracks like a short travel cross country bike and climbs very well. I have made several climbs in the Fruita area that I can't on my TB due to traction. With that I will say that a shorter wheelbase would be nice if the trails you ride are just normal rocky. I also went from an Epiphany to the Evolution and I find the 29 to climb better with firmer pedaling . The shock set up must be diff. as I use less shock pressure on the Evolution.

mtbr member
    I love my Evolve, I rode a Med Evolution last year and loved it, till I rode a small Evolve at MBO. After riding the Evolve, I felt more comfortable with the smaller frame and 100mm fork over the Med frame and 120mm, on the tight twisty stuff, ( I'm 5'8") I went round and round with my self over which fork to get for the Evolve 100mm or 95mm/120mm Talas, I choose the Talas , and am glad I did, bike climbs great in the low setting and then you flip it at the top and you can just fly down the trail. I think I have found the perfect set up for a XC/AM bike for me.
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

mtbr member
    I love my Evolve, too.

Have never ridden the Evolution, but it has always been my feeling that 100mm of travel is more than enough on a 29er.

That said, I mostly ride my rigid 29er these days

My 2 cents...

SPP
    Rigid.