Evolve Compltete...

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Green Giant 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Got it Dirty Today...

Motolite_Mofo said:
Cross Post from 29er Forum....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=689358

Just need some cooperation from the weather here in the Mid-Atlantic for the trails to dry out. I'll post a ride report once I get it dirty.
Got a chance to take the Evolve on its maiden trail ride today as things have dried up pretty good here in Maryland. The bike is a blast to ride and its handling is phenomenal. From a geometry perspective the riding position is very neutral and moving the about the bike is very fluid, weight shift etc. Climbing was excellent but you do need the legs & lungs to turn the wheels but I feel this is a 29er thing. Downhills were a blast and the bike is quite stable. In the air the bike is balanced and when I did leave the ground it was pure cushion coming back to terra firma. If I could improve one thing it would be the rear axle. I would make a 12mm Maxle kit for the Evolve as I think that is one area where a 9mm QR is just inadequate. The back end can get squirrely when under load and that is probably a 29er thing too. Overall the bike is awesome...can't wait to spend some more time in the saddle.

#7 ·
Down & Up.....Very Good!

mcstumpy said:
i9 wheels should not be flexy. I wonder if it was the tires moving around a bit in the slick MD dirt? Maybe check your pressure, are you tubeless? Bike looks killer. Good to hear she goes down hill good for you, that was my big question with the steap HT angle.
Hey McStumpy...

Yep...running tubeless and I run between 36-38psi. ( I weigh 200 +/- a few lbs with gear) I run I9's on my Moto-Lite and there is no flex what so ever. I had a RIP-9 before and when I converted the rear to a 12mm Maxle, Wow! what a difference it made. If I really crank down on the rear QR on the Evolve I can take some of the lateral flex out but not all. Not sure what else it could be...

It is tough to get the front end up though because of them long chainstays...it really requires a weight shift. Climbing is phenomenal and I think Ells has this suspension thing figured out :thumbsup:

Thanks!

#8 ·
Before you go changing to a 12mm rear maxle try going to low 30s pressure. As a comparison I run mid 20s tubeless on my full suss 29er and its rock solid out back. Tubeless turns 100mm rear travel into 105mm. Experiment.
I agree Ells has the suspension thing figured out that is why I was really surprised that you are feeling some play there???

#9 · (Edited)
That rear end being squirrely? It's the rear end and it is the price you pay for the weight on that frame. I had the chance to ride one set up with a DT 10mm axle on the rear. Wheels were a handbuilt set of stans flows.

The suspension works great, the front triangle is a thing of beauty. It's intent is a light weight XC bike and it is that for sure.

However that rear end was the deal killer for me. It's really too bad. For me, I would have liked to see maybe 1/3-1/2 lb more weight, all in the rear end to stiffen things up.

I would caution anyone before buying that bike to really, really test ride one before buying. I am not saying NOT to buy one, but make sure you know exactly what you are buying.

I would be interested to feel how the Giant Anthem XC 29er is in the rear end stiffness department as it is the only bike out there in Aluminum in that same 6lb weight range.

I've spent time on a few 29er FS bikes. Racer X 29er - which was way stiffer in the rear end, Tallboy - stiffer but carbon, the old Jet 9/Rip 9 - stiffer but also flexy but these were 2008 versions.

But, if you are a demanding rider who wants their bike to absolutely rail high speed turns, and track like mad, just make sure you ride the Evolve first. It's light, its a great front triangle, the ICT suspension rides well. The rear end - it's a pretty flexy affair.

#10 ·
I have to agree with Roy.

I owned one for a couple of rides. Now the fit wasn't optimal for me, but even if it had been I would have likely sold it because of the rear end. I could take my wheel and bounce the tire from stay to stay with my hands. This was a Stan's Flow wheel, built by Dave at Speeddream tensioned up properly etc. I also used a DT Swiss 10mm thru-bolt.

So, thought it might be the wheel I tried a Salsa Gordo 14/15 with king fun bolts back there - same problem. Tire could be forced off of both stays with your hand, and not with a ton of pressure.

Now, if my goal was simply a XC bike at the lightest weight possible (without using carbon frames) this might have been acceptable.

That said, at this price point I really have to wonder how much real world riding was done before it was released. I'm 195 lbs or so, and I could absolutely feel that rear end moving all over the place, particularly on high speed decents.

It's really too bad, because the rest of the bike is awfully nice. Front triangle is just unbelievably nice, welds are great, the stiffness is there, the finish is outstanding.

The rear end suspension rides really well. Efficient but has the travel when you need it.

The chainstays and seatstays are just way too lightweight in my opinion, but I wanted to ride it as my all around trail bike. Your mileage may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.