mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Evolution 120mm of 29er goodness

This is sweet rolling machine. It is going to be a game changer for long haul rides. Frame was 6.2 lbs and total build is 26.6 pounds. Aluminum tubing is just beautiful. Machining artful. I like Ellsworth hooking up with Loaded for componentry. I only got the Loaded headset with my build, but actually wish I had gotten more of their stuff. Looks very nice...and light weight. Only 15 miles on the bike at this point.

A couple critiques. Needs a quick release for the seatpost. Should come stock with one. Will be buying one straight away. Second, weird as it may seem for a more xc rig, I would like the option of an adjustable seatpost, but there really are not many options (Kind brand never heard of them before) for this in a 27.2 seatpost diameter, also no guides on the frame for a remote access. I have been surprised how much I like the adjustable seatpost feature on my previous rig. Also, wish the water bottle holder could be mounted in the frame triangle, not beneath. Can't reach the water bottle way down there when riding, and it is just a dirt magnet from front tire fling.

Overall, I think this is going to be a ridiculously good ride. I was flabbergasted two years ago riding the Evolve 100mm how the 29er smoothed out the trail duff, dimples, sticks, and stones so well. Have been through Truth, Epiphany, Moment with a push toward more travel, and have taken a step down to shorter travel with the big hoops. Feels like the natural transition beyond the very very good Epiphany for the long long techy xc trails which I crave. I have been waiting around for a 120-140mm travel 29er and I have to say I am extremely happy with this offering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 02-07-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Lets ride!
    26.6 pounds on a 6.2 pound frame is a good job!
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Check out the Gravity Dropper. It's available in 27.2 and is highly rated. I am thinking of getting one for my new Epiphany.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Frame Size & Build...

[QUOTE=Vaughn]This is sweet rolling machine. It is going to be a game changer for long haul rides. Frame was 6.2 lbs and total build is 26.6 pounds.

Hey Vaughn...

Can you tell me your frame size and general build kit? I just built up my large Evolve with XT Kit, XTR Brakes, Thompson Stem & Seatpost, Easton Carbon Bars and Ells XC wheelset and the bike came in @ 29lbs even. I was surprised....I was expecting 27.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Build spec

Medium frame. Fox 29 TALAS, XO 3x10 w trigger shifters w matchmaker attachment to Avid Elixir. Thomson elite seatpost and X4 stem, and Easton Haven Carbon wheelset w Smallblock Eight and Rocket Ron.

I have since added a DRG quick release seatpost collar and a 203 front rotor, so figure I am somewhere above 27 now. Measuring it on an Alpine whatever-it-is-called digital scale.

I would think anywhere between 27-29 pounds would be decent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    Medium frame. Fox 29 TALAS, XO 3x10 w trigger shifters w matchmaker attachment to Avid Elixir. Thomson elite seatpost and X4 stem, and Easton Haven Carbon wheelset w Smallblock Eight and Rocket Ron.

I have since added a DRG quick release seatpost collar and a 203 front rotor, so figure I am somewhere above 27 now. Measuring it on an Alpine whatever-it-is-called digital scale.

I would think anywhere between 27-29 pounds would be decent.
    Hey Vaughn ;

I think the biggest difference is the wheelset. I too added the seatpost collar and a 180 front rotor. I'm waiting a set of I9's and Flows that I'll setup tubeless. Maybe I'll get a pound out it...

Honestly I can't wait to ride it but the weather here in Maryland is not cooperating

Thanks for the reply. Enjoy the bike!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsqrl
    Check out the Gravity Dropper. It's available in 27.2 and is highly rated. I am thinking of getting one for my new Epiphany.

I put a Gravity Dropper on my Epiphany, best upgrade I made on this bike. Transformed the downhill fun while maintaining control.